Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho fishing at Ambleside  (Read 6491 times)

BananasQ

Coho fishing at Ambleside
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

Bit of a noob here, so please be gentle.  :D  I have watched the video, read some of the articles and done some searches. I haven't got out in the Sockeye run this year but I have a good canoe and was looking at doing some Coho fishing in Ambleside to scratch my salmon itch.  My question is really has anyone done anything like this successfully and if so any tips (jigging, mooching, etc) and have I missed the run or is it still going? Thanks in advance!  Oh, and does anyone have a good picture on how to tell if a coho is hatchery or not?

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Coho fishing at Ambleside
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »

Your most likely to catch them jigging buzzbombs and/or spinners and spoons in orange/silver or green/silver.The run is still running strong.A wild coho has an adipose fin the little one before the tail a hatchery one dosent.

BananasQ

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:03:07 AM »

Thanks! I may not be able to get out on the water until mid September, do you know when the run normally tails off?

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »

I`d assume october because ive caught ocean fresh cohos in the cap in november.

BananasQ

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »

Great! Thanks!  Found myself a good with/without picture for the adipose fin here: http://thefisheriesblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/de1de-two_fins2.jpg

bald_seagull

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »

hopefully it picks up i'm gonna giver hard the next few mornings, hopefully the small amount of rain in the forecast will change the mood

TimL

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 11:06:52 AM »

probably gonna try again this coming Monday..though I hope the fish won't be as lock-jawed as the last time I went 2 weeks ago.

1stlite

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »

Not seeing as many boats in front of Ambleside over the past week. Also noticed not as many people fishing from shore. Maybe only a handful of them this morning. Everyone must be out flossing/harvesting sockeye in the Fraser.

vandenhooff

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »

Not seeing as many boats in front of Ambleside over the past week. Also noticed not as many people fishing from shore. Maybe only a handful of them this morning. Everyone must be out flossing/harvesting sockeye in the Fraser.

As above wrote, observing what's going in front of the Cap is an excellent way of tell if the fishing is on, or off. Be careful in the canoe. The swells can get a little nasty if you wander too close to the Lion's Gate Bridge.

BananasQ

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

Thanks for the tips - looking to go in two weeks now. And yes, will be very careful in the canoe!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »

Lot of fish jumping out in front of the Bar, but not a lot (any?) being caught.

bald_seagull

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »

saw 1 taken on shore, 1 by boat today
fish seemed to stay well out of casting distance

vandenhooff

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »

I was out Friday evening with a friend at Ambleside. We tossed big spoons off a rock jeti until near dark with no luck, but a beautiful cloudy drizzly evening. As we packed up our rods and relaxed for 20 minutes after the sun had set some Coho thought it would be best to surface and school literally 5 feet off the rock jeti. We had a good laugh at them and face-palmed as we had JUST taken the rods apart :). Another wonderful day with teh fishies

Was that jetty on the west or east side of the river?

TimL

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »

lol..I didn't end up going today  :P..came back late from shopping in the states yesterday so I slept in in till 8. I ended up going to Belcarra later in the morning for some bottom fish instead- had a great catch there. There were quite a few people crabbing & fishing off the rocks where I was at. Had the rare opportunity to teach some newbie fishermen how to fish for sea perch (which I was targeting). I did see some people on a couple of boats fishing close to shore (for salmon?) which makes me wonder whether coho regularly frequent Indian Arm.