Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC fishing. - bass locations (Minnekhada)  (Read 4045 times)

rezak

New to BC fishing. - bass locations (Minnekhada)
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »

Hello

New to fishing in mainland, BC and looking for somewhere for bass fishing.  So far ive tried

sturgeon slough at the rivers mouth and caught some small ones. I cant really fish much else of it since I dont have waders. I tried going down and accessing off Ladner st but sank up past the knee apparently I better look into waders.

Chadsay lake. Again I got a bunch of small ones and one a little larger but I think still under a 1 lb. Nice hike though.

Im think about trying Minnekhada this coming weekend.  Anyone out that way this year? Any worth while catches?  Do I need waders like sturgeon slough?

Anyone up for it?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:15:36 PM by rezak »

MetalAndFeathers

Re: New to BC fishing. - bass locations (Minnekhada)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

FIshed it last year there were alot of fish but i just couldnt hook any.Make sure you use weedless baits because its very weedy there.

1son

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

Minnekhada has been pretty decent this year give it a go got some lunkers in there ;D

Sam6140

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »

You guys actually found a lot of bass in Minnekhada?  I thought most went down the stream after they drained the Pond a couple years back.

Sam6140

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »

Deer Lake in Burnaby, Mill Lake, Fishtrap Creek in Abbotsford, Albert Dyck Park in Abbotsford,  Pitt Marsh (up the street from Sturgeon Slough), The Pond at Trinity Western University (MacMillan Lake), Haztic Lake, Silvermere lake are the main places around here for Bass.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:15:08 PM by Sam6140 »

rezak

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »

How's the shore of the fishing areas?  Are just hikers good?  I don't have waders.

Minnekhada has been pretty decent this year give it a go got some lunkers in there ;D

rezak

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »

I keep hearing Mill is good, I find that weird since it's in the middle of city.  With the way I see people pulling all (small and all) fish out.

I don't have a boat for Haztic.  I hear Silvermere  can be a crappy fishing experience with the locals.  I also don't see a lot of access when I drive by.

How far up the road is Pitt Marsh from the slough bridge?  Have you try the right side of Strugeon Slough.  I've only got left towards the river.

quote author=Sam6140 link=topic=36324.msg344202#msg344202 date=1409267594]
Deer Lake in Burnaby, Mill Lake, Fishtrap Creek in Abbotsford, Albert Dyck Park in Abbotsford,  Pitt Marsh (up the street from Sturgeon Slough), The Pond at Trinity Western University (MacMillan Lake), Haztic Lake, Silvermere lake are the main places around here for Bass.
[/quote]

Sam6140

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »

all you need is runners for Minnekhada.  it's an easy 5-10 min trail walk to the pond from the parking lot.   I have tried sturgeon slough on the right side of the road, by the road.  only caught a few small bass.  just go up the road, and you'll hit the marsh on your right and left.  on your right you can walk out onto the dyke and explore and find areas to fish.  use google map..it helps a lot.  just go explore.  Silvermere you can only pretty much fish from the side of the highway. not very pleasant.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

Minnekhada has very easy foot access, no need to get your feet in the water. The bass fishing can be excellent right now until late September. Look for big splashes in the evening time.