Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: peg leg/Fraser river fishing question  (Read 7986 times)

The Fish Hunter

peg leg/Fraser river fishing question
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »

Hey,

I have been hitting St Elmo pretty hard the past few days, only seen a few people catching fish. I know people don't like to give away good sockeye fishing locations buuuuuuuut any suggestions for a new honey hole? I have a friend from up north here and he wants to catch at least one fish before he leaves.

How do I get into Herrling isl or Peters rd? I took the exit but could not find anywhere.

How do I get the peg leg location?

any boaters feel like taken a few newbies out? ;)

thank you,
Mike
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:34:13 PM by The Fish Hunter »

fic

• Old Timer
Re: peg leg/Fraser river fishing question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »

Hey,

I have been hitting St Elmo pretty hard the past few days, only seen a few people catching fish. I know people don't like to give away good sockeye fishing locations buuuuuuuut any suggestions for a new honey hole? I have a friend from up north here and he wants to catch at least one fish before he leaves.

How do I get into Herrling isl or Peters rd? I took the exit but could not find anywhere.

How do I get the peg leg location?

any boaters feel like taken a few newbies out? ;)

thank you,
Mike
I've seen people limit out on St. Elmo Bar within 10 minutes during the peak of the run.  I don't think location is the problem right now.  You may have been the victim of bad timing and the on-going commercial openings taking away boat loads even before they get to you. 

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:46 PM »

truth to that!

that is why I am looking for a new place. St Elmo has been my "go to" for years. Is Peg Leg fishable or is it totalled from the washout? I wish I had a boat LOL :)

Drewhill

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »

Oh god, not the old "I've got a friend in town" or "I've got a relative in town" excuse. Best bet is to look for cars parked on the road and walk in. Shouldn't be hard getting fish. Doubt anyone is really going to give up a honey hole because there will be a few hundred people there the next day. Good luck.

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:42 PM »

why "oh god"? Not really an excuse.... I'm not "that guy"... St Elmo has had "my number" the past three days!!! Just throwing out a thread to get some HELPFUL advise! My friend is a noob... I don't want others getting pissy at him if he sucks at casting and what not....

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:55:11 PM »

Fish Hunter - there is lots of information on this forum (and the "other forum") on the major bars of the Fraser.  All of these bars will produce fish, but will be busy.  Don't expect any of us to post on a General Discussion forum any locations outside of those major bars.  To do so would discredit all those who put in the work to find them.  That would NOT be helpful!  Maybe helpful to you in the short term - but certainly not helpful to those who put in the work and the angling community as a whole.  Go and do some leg work and you will be rewarded.  Your friend may be a "noob", but you sound like you have some experience.

I apologize for the rant, but I've seen my share of quality fishing spots ruined from people not being able to hold their tongue on forums such as this.

Btw - peg leg (a major bar which is no secret) is at the end of McSween Road in Chilliwack.  Look it up and go explore.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »

You do realize that the major bars are stupidly crowded don't you?  Why would anyone give you directions to their honey hole on a public forum to make their location stupidly crowded as well?

Because you want your friend whose a noob to floss a sockeye before he leaves?  Is he my friend?  Do I know him?  Does anyone else on this forum know him?  This " I got a newbie friend" excuse is getting tiresome. 

Why would you take an inexperienced friend who has trouble casting to Pegleg? You do know that you would make a bad situation even worse don't you?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »

I think its just slow now, saw lots of skunks Monday at the place I go. a new bar opened up on the other side of the river from st Elmo's where a creek runs in on hwy 7. also sea bird is open and under the Agassi bridge bars are opening with dropping water levels.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

a new bar opened up on the other side of the river from st Elmo's where a creek runs in on hwy 7.

Are you referring to Ruby Creek?  If yes it's on FN land.  You may want to stop in at the Skawahlook Band office and respectfully ask permission.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

there is a bridge over the creek saw about 10 cars Monday only 3 last Thursday. have no idea if they are catching any.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »

From what I have heard, it was tough yesterday, last night and this morning.  Lots of skunks and hard fishing to get the two.  Sometimes 5,6,7 hours to limit, if it all.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

your right damien. was at steveston and river road along delta and around port mann. must of seen at least 100 commercial boats during that time. even the harbour in steveston was being netted. dont bother expecting much for at least a couple days upriver.  and thats not counting the commercials out in the chuck. this  summer run is being hammered out of the water pretty good........

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:55 PM »

your right damien. was at steveston and river road along delta and around port mann. must of seen at least 100 commercial boats during that time. even the harbour in steveston was being netted. dont bother expecting much for at least a couple days upriver.  and thats not counting the commercials out in the chuck. this  summer run is being hammered out of the water pretty good........

Including today the commercial guys on the Fraser have only had 3 days total so far. How is that hammering them?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:47 AM »

Including today the commercial guys on the Fraser have only had 3 days total so far. How is that hammering them?

4 days actually, if you include the first 3 hour opening.
Total hours is around 44-45 or something like that, but I agree, that's far from hammering them.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 07:22:48 AM »

4 days actually, if you include the first 3 hour opening.
Total hours is around 44-45 or something like that, but I agree, that's far from hammering them.

Couldn't agree more, the entitlement that comes along with snagging sox is hilarious.
always a student