Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crab Baits you have used  (Read 9017 times)

Dude

Crab Baits you have used
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »

What types of crab baits have members on here  used to catch them some delicious crab!  I personally have used Chicken and turkey legs and fish heads and they both seem to work pretty well.   

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: Crab Baits you have used
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »

Save on sometimes has whole fryer chickens ... 3 picks for 6.99

That does the trick
see ya on the river

Zackattack

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »

Ya usually whatever chicken or turkey parts I can find cheap or have leftover..
Killer bait.

RyanB

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »

Seals love chicken so avoid using it if there are any seals nearby. 
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Zackattack

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »

Ya haha I use metal cages and its fine. But ya, the open style traps are brutal. Many times I've seen seals steal bait from open traps off the docks.. haha

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »

Save-on has turkey necks cheap usually.... When we're out camping, I usually pour excess bacon grease on my bait - tried one trap with, one without and the one with tripled the take.... that was on commercial pellets a friend gave me....
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

BananasQ

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »

Seals love chicken so avoid using it if there are any seals nearby.

i find the seals go for salmon heads or tails even harder - had them rip into traps and only take the fish and leave the chicken. I'm all for chicken backs and necks - economical and crabs love em. I've started using soaked pellets too with good results.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

I've used freezer burnt beef and pork with little success.
Salmon, herring, anchovies seem to produce but,
Ling, halibut and chicken are better

Smashed Spot Prawn heads are best

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »

Best for me was Tuna guts but I just happened to come by them while looking for some bait on the way to the fishing grounds.
Ive had great days with Salmon parts/guts and also not so good days with same bait.
Same as with chicken.
Honestly if you put more effort in tide timing the bait is secondary.

TimL

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »

I agree that tide is the #1 determining factor for crabbing success. Chicken bones have worked for me on the past couple of crabbing trips. Very cost-effective as well: a bag of chicken bones from the local Asian supermarket costs about 2-3 bucks. Old shrimp, and bottom fish and salmon carcasses are effective too but unfortunately due to marauding seals in the area, I now refrain from using fish parts. I currently use the casting open ring traps from shore and one of my bait bags got torn open by a suspected seal on my last trip (I was using a fish & chicken bait combo).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:18:19 PM by TimL »

ride604

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »

Fresh caught herring has worked well for me in the past, but not store bought for some reason.  Tried spot prawn heads with no luck, but didn't crush them like canso suggested.  Salmon frames and heads work so-so, chicken works well, and turkey necks are my favorite for casting traps.  Tried pork and beef too but didn't pick up anything.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »

Used to get expired bacon from my mom. My parents would buy bacon, not use it all (i know, a crime in itself) and it would be past its prime. Put that in my trap and the crabs loved it.

RyanB

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:59:29 PM »

i find the seals go for salmon heads or tails even harder - had them rip into traps and only take the fish and leave the chicken. I'm all for chicken backs and necks - economical and crabs love em. I've started using soaked pellets too with good results.

Sure, seals are always an issue and of course they will eat any kind of fish.  I've used leftover squid in a crab trap and a seal stole the squid. 

Turkey and other non-chicken bird necks work well and the seals leave them alone.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

VA7DDP

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:23 AM »

Head to a Asian supermarket like Chong Lee or TnT they usually have chicken necks, backs etc. They work great for crabbing, don't waste your money on the crab/prawn pellets.

BananasQ

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 01:01:34 PM »

Head to a Asian supermarket like Chong Lee or TnT they usually have chicken necks, backs etc. They work great for crabbing, don't waste your money on the crab/prawn pellets.

I've used pellets with the chicken to great success on my one outing this year. Next time I will keep the pellets out of one of the traps and see how it affects things.