Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead daily quota ?  (Read 9357 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead daily quota ?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 11:40:18 PM »

I have heard of fisherman going to Chehalis after bonking a hatchery steelhead on the Vedder, or vice versa, to look for their second hatchery or just keep on fishing. Is this allowed under regulations?

From the wordings of the regulation, there seems to be no conflict with the rules. You stop fishing at the water you retain a steelhead, but it does not say you cannot fish at another river to reach your daily quota of 2.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »

I can recall the regs had a monthly quota of 2 hatchery Steelhead.That topic was frequently discussed among the river anglers that I spoke with in the past.

Hmm... I don't think so... I'm pretty sure they must have been talking about the daily aggregate limit for steelhead...

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »

Maybe they want more hatchery fish killed by less anglers on rivers such as the Alouette because it doesn't see heavy pressure like the ched...

You obviously dont fish the Allouette.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »

I have heard of fisherman going to Chehalis after bonking a hatchery steelhead on the Vedder, or vice versa, to look for their second hatchery or just keep on fishing. Is this allowed under regulations?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:58:58 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »

Very obvious!! Its busy as hell. Fish are now kelts anyways.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:31 PM »

Think of when the regs were written for that river... :o Oh yeah back when it had little pressure...  ::)

Fish are now kelts anyways.

??? :-X
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

likely

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »

the allouette has more presure on it then i have ever seen. bbronswyk2000 said it best kelts now anyways. little over rated for what people have been saying about it

Toprod

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

Saw a guy whack two hatchery steelies last year on the Stave. He got both drift fishing, they were chromers.

Fished it myself for steel a few times with SFA to show for it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »

This is absurd.  I have fished the Al for almost 40 years and it is far from a "mini vedder."  While there are likely more people fishing it today,  there are also a hell of a lot more people today, period.  The only reason it "seems" as crowded is that there are fewer places to fish on the Al due to all the private property, so the few people there (I counted 12 guys from Alco to Neaves, and 6 of them were at 216th) tend to clump together even more than the Vedder.  With fewer places to access the river, the chances of finding a spot without someone already there, can be just as hard as at the Vedder, however, it was just as hard 20 years ago as it was today. I have vivid memories of fishing with my father and there was always someone else above us or below us on most of the popular runs.  That being said, every spot I fished today was free of other fishermen (excepting the 2 young boys fishing the park run near my late father's memorial bench), and I did not see any fish all morning, and there were not even signs of any cutties yet in the lower reaches.  THAT lack of fish, is why this little stream will never be a "mini vedder." 
Not all those who wander are lost

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 06:52:03 AM »

Ive also fished it for a long time and it is definitely busier now than ever.
I like to do drive bys in the am with my coffee and while taking the dog out and if your not at a spot 15 minutes before it gets light out,good luck finding somewhere to fish.
Has been ridiculous this year and next year will be even busier.
That is what has been happening for the last 10 years or so.
But,licence sales are down. :o