Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead daily quota ?  (Read 9355 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
steelhead daily quota ?
« on: March 15, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »

Most of us don't get a hatchery steelhead on a trip. So this is only a theoretical discussion of the daily quota of steelhead in Region 2. The daily quota of hatchery steelhead is 2 according to the regulations here:
 http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1113/fishing-synopsis_2011-13_region2.pdf

The river specific daily quota of Chehalis is 1, and so is the chilliwack/Vedder. What about rivers not mentioned specifically, like the Alouette and Stave, for example? Does that mean that region daily quota of 2 applies for these if there is no river specific quota? That means you don't have to stop fishing if you keep 1 hatchery steelhead there? Kind of unthinkable for these smaller systems to produce 2 hatchery steelhead for any one though.  ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead daily quota ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »

The river specific daily quota of Chehalis is 1, and so is the chilliwack/Vedder. What about rivers not mentioned specifically, like the Alouette and Stave, for example? Does that mean that region daily quota of 2 applies for these if there is no river specific quota? That means you don't have to stop fishing if you keep 1 hatchery steelhead there? Kind of unthinkable for these smaller systems to produce 2 hatchery steelhead for any one though.  ;D

That is correct, "When you have caught and retained your daily quota of hatchery steelhead from any water, you must stop fishing that water for the remainder of that day". The Stave for example has no "exceptions to the regional regulations" so that means the daily quota there is two, so you could bonk a hatchery then continue to fish the river then bonk another later.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

This brings up the next question that I have, which popped up while I was doing the Stave River news release a few weeks ago. For systems where two hatchery steelhead are allowed per day, such as Stave River, is it only one of the two fish can be over 50cm long as specified in the Region 2 regulations. I am almost certain it is, but would like to see how the others interpret the regulations.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 04:56:58 PM »

This brings up the next question that I have, which popped up while I was doing the Stave River news release a few weeks ago. For systems where two hatchery steelhead are allowed per day, such as Stave River, is it only one of the two fish can be over 50cm long as specified in the Region 2 regulations. I am almost certain it is, but would like to see how the others interpret the regulations.
My take is that you can keep 2 fish over 50cm.
A steelhead is defined as a Rainbow Trout over 50cm in waters that normally hold anadromous fish. So by definition anything under 50cm is a hatchery rainbow trout, not a steelhead.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »

That's how I've always interpreted (1 trout over 50cm allowed in the daily quota of four trout/day, but two hatchery steelhead are allowed), until a colleague told me otherwise so not sure which one is correct anymore.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »

It is 2 Hatchery Steelhead a day as far as i know.

This doesnt sit well with me as i think 1 is plenty when we are talking about Steelhead.Hatchery or not.
It also helps with overcrowding if you have to leave after 1.
There not even that good to eat unless you smoke them so i dont understand why anyone would need a freezer full of Steelhead.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »

That's how I've always interpreted (1 trout over 50cm allowed in the daily quota of four trout/day, but two hatchery steelhead are allowed), until a colleague told me otherwise so not sure which one is correct anymore.

Not sure where the confusion for your friend is Rod, as the reg clearly states:

Trout/Char 4, but not more than
  •       1 over 50cm
    (2 hatchery steelhead allowed)

This clearly indicates that if the trout are hatchery steelhead then you are allowed 2 over 50cm.  The real question is, if I catch a hatchery steelhead over 50 cm on the Stave, and then catch a hatchery cuttie over 50 cm, can I continue to fish for my 2nd steelhead or does the cuttie count as my 2nd hatchery steelhead allowed? Can you imagine someone actually killing 3 fish over 50 cm from that system, hatchery or not?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:49:19 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »

I have always found this section of the regulations bizarre.   You can retain two hatchery steelhead from the systems that have none and one from the systems that have some.

TacoChris

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »

The rule is poorly written.  It is clear to me as well the 2 steelhead rule is an exception to the 1 fish over 50cm. Sandman's point is exactly my concern.I think you could retain a steelhead and another non rainbow trout over 50cm. I can see someone trying to retain 2 steelhead and a 3rd fish over 50 cm.

They need to change the writting. Trout/Char 4 but not more than.
                                                1 over 50cm
                                                Or 2 over 50cm as long as at least 1fish is a hatchery steelhead

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:50 PM »

I have always found this section of the regulations bizarre.   You can retain two hatchery steelhead from the systems that have none and one from the systems that have some.

I guess fisheries want more people go to where there is none than where there have some, lol.  ;D

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »

Maybe they want more hatchery fish killed by less anglers on rivers such as the Alouette because it doesn't see heavy pressure like the ched...
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »

Can you imagine someone actually killing 3 fish over 50 cm from that system, hatchery or not?

Sadly, hundreds of people province-wide fish without having a clue about the regs and they kill everything they hook into. They believe that in buying the license, they can keep everything they catch.
I believe that the time has come for the Province to implement a knowledge test for wannabe-fishermen in both official languages, something akin to the knowledge part of the hunter's CORE. If you can't demonstrate you can at least recognize your fish species and interpret the regs at a minimum 75% proficiency, sorry, you can't fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »

Implementing a knowledge test is not the be all and end all. We are all required to demonstrate a knowledge of the road when we apply for a driver's licence, yet we still see people speeding, talking on their cells, texting, drinking and driving.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

I have heard of fisherman going to Chehalis after bonking a hatchery steelhead on the Vedder, or vice versa, to look for their second hatchery or just keep on fishing. Is this allowed under regulations?

drh

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

I can recall the regs had a monthly quota of 2 hatchery Steelhead.That topic was frequently discussed among the river anglers that I spoke with in the past.