Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Vest  (Read 12434 times)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Vedder Vest
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »

Anyone know about a vest called a "Vedder Steelheader Vest" or something like that? It has a big pocket at the bottom of the vest that goes around your body.  It can hold a bunch of stuff. If so where can I buy one?

Thanks,
Nick

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Vest
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »

I've seen them at army and navy. I have one by pioneer, basically the same thing and water proof. not sure if the Vedder one is or not. That big pocket is handy for lugging out fish.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »

Thanks. Which Army & Navy have you seen them at? And do you know if they currently have them?

Nitroholic

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

nikka has them, 59 bucks I think

Kenwee

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:45 PM »

I bought 2 from Fred's cost $79.00 each. Yes, big pocket at the bottom for fish. Good vest. There is another brand which is better,can't remember the name. Had a Veeder VEST, CARRIED 2 SPRINGS AND 1 COHO and the seams gave way, That's why had to buy 2 one for me and one for friend's damaged vest lugging the fish to the car.. but on the whole a great vest!!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »

Do you guys know if Sea Run sells them because that would be closest?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:04:33 PM »

Hatch Matchrs in Maple Ridge has them as well and yes they have them in stock.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:34 AM »

The original Vedder Vest was made of heavy canvas and has huge back pocket that can easily hold a 25 lb. chinook. They don't make them anymore.

aquaholic

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »

I had 2 of those vests and both were garbage, zippers on both broke, very hard to zip up the inside pockets, the zippers never stayed shut, the velcro on the inside pocket flaps were on the outside making them useless, not worth the money, spend the extra money  and get something better. I have a couple friends with the same vest and same problems.

Nitroholic

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »

Anyone know where/if they stock Complete Angler vests?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:12:16 AM »

Thanks. Which Army & Navy have you seen them at? And do you know if they currently have them?
I've seen them at both the New West and Downtown location, never been to the Langley store. No idea if they're in stock, haven't stopped in at the local AN in months

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

I had 2 of those vests and both were garbage, zippers on both broke, very hard to zip up the inside pockets, the zippers never stayed shut, the velcro on the inside pocket flaps were on the outside making them useless, not worth the money, spend the extra money  and get something better. I have a couple friends with the same vest and same problems.

Mine doesn't have any zippers. The velco is the inside of the pockets. The front has eyelets  and has two plier holders and an "O" ring.

fetoid

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »

I just ordered this vest from LL Bean:

http://bit.ly/hUfx3y

Constructed of breathable ripstop cotton that will feel comfortable, even in warm temperatures. Eleven strategically placed pockets, all with zip or VelcroŽ-closures to keep contents secure. Tippet pockets, fly box pockets, back pocket and two interior zip pockets keep essentials organized. D-ring on back for easy attachment and access to net. Zip front with additional buckle. Two front D-rings keep tools in easy reach. Fleece patch included. Imported. Machine wash and dry.

$39 US.  I should get it at the end of the week. I'll let you know what I think about it.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 04:09:27 PM »

I'm going to head to Sea Run to get a trophy XL one. They said that they have it for sale.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:03 PM »

--Comleat Angler Steelheader:  Rick is still alive and well.. I think 85 yrs young.. still thinking about doing another run of vests which have often been copied.
--Problem is cost to produce them locally in Vancouver have of course gone up as well as getting a new material.
--I believe he gets asked at least once a week if he's going to make more.