Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river July 1st  (Read 9226 times)

mistermongz

Vedder river July 1st
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »

hey there im going to be in the chilliwack area on july 1st till the 4th...not very familiar with the vedder and not sure what is catchable in the river around this time....new to this forum and been reading alot. so my question is what can i fish in the river what is available to keep and or just to catch and release...thanks in advance...

and what would i need to bring ie...which rod...is there salmon available or are they just small fish such as trout and others....i have a 8 ft salmon spinning rod and my 6 ft trout rod so not sure what to bring and what kind of lures and or should i be short floating thanks again...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:35:21 AM by mistermongz »
Fish on!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder river July 1st
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »

Opened for chinook retention July 1st

mistermongz

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »

i guess everyone is a little shy....i am not asking where to fish but i am asking what is around and FA thanks didnt known that it is open for chinook thanks....
Fish on!!!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »

The early spring run is quite small and not much around until after the 15th. you should use a float and red/black wool or roe for the springs.also rainbows are in the river.

mistermongz

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

;) thanks much appreciated...
Fish on!!!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

i guess everyone is a little shy....i am not asking where to fish but i am asking what is around and FA thanks didnt known that it is open for chinook thanks....

Wow, you waited all of 45 minutes before accusing people of avoiding responding to you.  lol  Must be a great fisherman with all that patience.  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »

Wow, you waited all of 45 minutes before accusing people of avoiding responding to you.  lol  Must be a great fisherman with all that patience.  ;)

Isn't that the amount of time you can expect to get your limit of hatchery coho on the Vedder? ;)

mistermongz

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:58:24 PM »

Wow, you waited all of 45 minutes before accusing people of avoiding responding to you.  lol  Must be a great fisherman with all that patience.  ;)
wow....i didnt realize u got offended by that..hmnn...i guess i am not a fisherman then cuz i dont have the patience...think what you want...it dont really matter...but thanks for your input...

by the way sorry for being a smart a** just dont like it when people crap on the thread....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:04:07 PM by mistermongz »
Fish on!!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »

"Isn't that the amount of time you can expect to get your limit of hatchery coho on the Vedder? " ;)

Rod, believe it or not in 1986 ( EXPO, the year DFO decided to see how many coho local rivers could hold, or at least so it seemed) a four fish limit often took less time than that.  If you retainined only selected fish, ie females for roe or larger males for the freezer, you could stretch your day to a few hours. 

Sorry, the above has nothing to do with fishing in early July but I just had to add it.   Remember the rainbows you will encounter are most likely hatchery steelhead juveniles that may possibly migrate out at a later date.  I agree with the other posters that chinook fishing is better later in the month but there have been fish caught on opening day.  Should be some good C&R char about as well.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

"Those were the days my friend, I hope it never went" - like an old song lyric.  ;D
Not to say the Vedder, even the Cap was loaded with coho. You could catch your limit before or after work with coho coming up waves after waves. So I guess we need more political will to help us limit in minutes.  ;D Fat chance in present day politics. Easier to win a lotto than having more funding for stocking...  ;)

Back to the thread, the river should be quite high comes July 1st, making it much harder to find the spring. The water drops later the month and reasonably good spring fishing can be had in some deep pools/runs. The area below limit hole can also be productive for more coloured springs. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:22:24 PM by liketofish »

island boy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 08:48:09 PM »

try trolling down by the mouth. had good luck down that way in years past.
you kill it, you clean it.

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »

So back in  86 did you guys complain that it took over 40min to catch your limit :D

back on track, i have never fished July 1st on the vedder but even though the river may not be stocked up it's allways nice to get out on the first oppertunity right ???

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »

if memory serves correctly theres only been one opening day in the last 10 years where ive seen signs of fish...typically after mid month it gets going into a good swing...very short run some years and has to be timed well or you end up missing out or hooking boots up river.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »

Took a drive along the river from the Vedder Bridge up to the hatchery checking out the garbage issue and onto the proposed gravel site at Larson Bench. River looked very fishy. ;D

mistermongz

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »

8) fishy eh...are u gonna be out there on the first chris...would love to meet ya...
Fish on!!!