Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Event At Peg  (Read 6839 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Big Event At Peg
« on: August 20, 2006, 09:52:04 AM »

Got you? ;D ;D

I am going to Peg to do a little cleanup at 1 today if anyone wishes to join in. Will be working around where the people are, plan to spend a couple of hours there hope, I do not get hit with a bouncing betty.
Bring a bag or two, I will smuggle some Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition picker uppers along. ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Big Event At Peg
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 11:04:13 AM »

I thought this was about Dragonspeed's truck again. ;D

Unfortunately Nina and I can't make it today, sorry. Hopefully others on the bar will lend a hand as well.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:41:59 PM »

Just got back from the Peg and I spent a little over 2 hours picking up the garbage, and I was surprised that it was not as bad as I thought it would be. However saying that there was miles of line left everywhere from the bottom to the top of the bar. Most likely it is worse environmentally than the garbage I picked up but I just could not deal with it at this time although I did get some.

It needs a number of bodies to go out when the sockeye opening is over to clean it up before the next freshet.

Thanks to a couple of people that pitched in and also to another person for the bottle of water which certainly hit the spot in the blazing sun.

I noticed as well a number of fish were left out in the open, in the water, certainly not the best way to treat a lovely fish as it will effect the eating quality. The best of course is once it has been landed pop it in a cooler filled with ice to preserve its eating quality.

Also noticed some fish have been cleaned and the innards and heads have been tossed on dry land. This has created quite a smell in some spots and the maggots are having a field day. By putting this offal back in the water it provides feed for other fish and increases the nutrient load to the system.

Needless to say there was lots of people out there and saw at least a dozen to 15 chinooks landed or lost in the time I wa there. Actually I saw more chinook than sockeye on. One chap just getting a chinook to the beach had his rod snap in half, it sounded like a rifle going off. He was able to get it in somehow with the help of others, a fish of at least 20 pounds. Saw a number of others broken off as well. The group out there were very civil among themselves considering the few feet between each other and lots of "fish on, fish coming down" was heard as I picked up the 3 bags of refuse.

With the amount of springs around a bar fishing trip may be in the offering early this week.

I took some pictures, I may ask Rodney post them if he chooses to, of what things looked like during the time I was out there. See if you can spot Dragon Speed, no he is not stuck. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:51:34 PM »

You raised a very good point Chris about people leaving their fish out in the open. In this hot weather it doesn't take long for the fish to deteriorate. Take a few minutes and cover the fish with wet newspaper or a burlap sack. A cooler with ice is even better.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »

People seem to be doing very good on the clean up part @ peg, Iv been there enough times and lets just say i dont even notice the garbage, because there is none.  ;D
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:12:14 PM »

People seem to be doing very good on the clean up part @ peg, Iv been there enough times and lets just say i dont even notice the garbage, because there is none.  ;D

Thats not true if you actually read what Chris wrote you would not have posted that. A bunch of us did a cleanup last year and the amount of just fishing line filled the back of a pickup truck. So fishing line is not garbage? I guess it just breaks down and is good for the enviroment than right? Their well be tons of line, hooks and various debris that nobody just see's from the naked eye. It does not mean that its not a mess.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:30:59 PM »

Im talking about the obvious ::)
The Bigger The Better!

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »

;D good report chris wish i could have been there to help but the back is keeping me on the couch :'( :'(

swampdonkey

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »

hey chris i was there friday night doing clean up left with a wack of empties plus 2 big bags of garbage i think u live in greendale so do i across from school would like tro talk to u one day good luck and keep up the good work there are alot of us that do appreciate your hard work

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 09:34:26 PM »

Im talking about the obvious ::)

Maybe this is the problem and why there's so much of it left on the rocks as it isnt 'obvious'. I was there with Eddie. It was brutal and made a very obvious pile when we were done cleaning it up.

Sadly, this line isnt obvious to wildlife either and often causes them to become entangled in it to die a slow death.

Good work CG!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 10:38:06 PM »

Eddie we will see about getting a group together when the season is over and deal with the line issue. Thanks for doing it last year.

I believe it will be another 2 weeks this year before it finally comes to a end though.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 11:14:24 PM »

Yeah, Way to go Chris.  I think I saw you there today.  I was quite impressed.  I was also impressed with some the campers that were there as they made their area absolutely clean.  When I finished fishing, I went to pick up some trash --and to my surprise I could not fill a garbage bag.  I think we are making head way of providing good example...Keep it up guys and gals.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:17:49 PM »

I thought this was about Dragonspeed's truck again. ;D

Ouch  >:(

Chris, 

Good to see you again!  Remember - weekends for those barfishing trips.  If you want the beautiful company of my wife, a Sunday would be required  ;)

I grabbed some line around the area I was fishing, and around the truck before heading off.    Someone else had been around a bit earlier in the day picking up garbage as well.  Nice to see so many people that care.  Sucks to see so many that DON'T care, but I guess that's a bit of human nature, and not unique to fishermen  ::)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:23:17 PM by DragonSpeed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 12:13:04 AM »

Today's photos from Peg Leg, taken by Chris

Peg on a Sunday afternoon.

Fish coming down.

A sockeye hitting the beach.

A nice spring that maybe should be in a cooler.

Maggots enjoying some innards, creating a smell at the same time.

The result of a 2 hour cleanup.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »

Nice work Chris. Would have loved to help out but was in the shop working till 5. Still managed to sneak out to my bar in Chilliwack after work for a short evening Spring O' Rama and it was worth it. ;D

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:43:27 PM by Trout Slayer »