Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Release  (Read 5125 times)

mark

Steelhead Release
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »

Well I was walking along the vedder canal with my wife because it was such a glorious day outside and to my surprize the trout truck was there from the hatchery. I watched him as he released hundreds of steelhead smolts into the vedder and I must say it was a pretty sight. Hats off to the hatchery, keep it up guys good to see. Although the hatchery guy was telling me the biggest mistake ever done to that river was the introduction of those musty smelling whites. They are hurting the coho numbers in the river. Put no limit on those suckers. Well 4 a day but no size limit. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:11:32 PM by mark »

glx

• I'm a llama!
Re: Steelhead Release
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:44:33 PM »

Not that I like the big Whites all that much, I dont think they have much to do with Coho numbers in the Vedder.  They may make it harder to find Coho but the Coho are still there.  I prefer to fish Coho and Spring Jacks in early September before the big beasts move in.  I move to other venues for Coho in October and on. 

mark

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:02:33 PM »

It is the reason it so happens when the coho and chinnok are fry the chinooks are more aggresive than the coho , so therefore the chinook take more of the food supply and push the coho out. Chinook are by nature more aggressive and its all about survival of the fitest. Also because they are not native to the vedder they are disrupting natures balance in that ecosystem.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 10:46:08 AM »

the whites dont really effect the coho runs. theres just so many whites. but if you go at the right time, before all the big whites, you can find incredible coho fishing. i remember about 3 years ago my dad and i were fishing a secret spot on the vedder..yes a secret spot ;D, and must have hooked about 40 coho between the 2 of us and 1 spring caught. exactly a week later, the run was full of big whites and only got 2 coho.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 11:11:31 AM »

whites are fun ;D but coho are funner ;)

mark

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 01:48:58 AM »

Well then how do you explain the numbers in the hatchery decreasing in numbers every year? And yes it is.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:51:08 AM by mark »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 02:05:30 AM »

Reduction of hatchery coho production due to funding and fear of interaction between wild and hatchery fish. See:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8311.msg76417#msg76417

buck

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 09:54:35 AM »

Mark

Coho returns to the Chilliwack Hatchery last season only totaled about 7500 fish compared to a normal return of  between 20 - 40 k. Ocean survival rates are down and we will probably see a poor season for 2006. Washington State is predicting survival rates between 0 - .8 % for coho. In the mid eighties survival rates for coho ranged between 10 - 15 % just for comparison.
On a more positive note Steelhead returns this year have been the best in a number of year. Sixty to seventy spawner's were counted at the outlet of Chilliwack Lake. Again, the best in a number of year.

mark

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »

Ok thats fine and dandy but the bottom line is if you start screwing around with nature by adding non native species you are upsetting the balance. There not there for a reason, natural selection. ;)

ko

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »

mark im with you , just wonder if the whites disrupt the coho spawning beds because of there agresive behavior

buck

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »

KO

Chilliwack Whites are mainstem spawners and do not interfere or disturb coho spawning sites. Coho for the most part spawn in small tributaries usually in areas not frequented by chinook. Very few white chinook are found upstream above the hatchery where the majority of coho are found.

mark

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:07:41 PM »

Thanks ko at least someone is and understands my point. And Buck I am a fisheries tech and trust me I know what I'm talking about. No offence. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:31:27 PM »

Mark, which organization do you work for as a fishery technician?

I would like to think Buck knows his numbers. After all, he is the person who has been raising these fish on the Chilliwack River for decades.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 06:50:56 PM »

Mark, which organization do you work for as a fishery technician?

I would like to think Buck knows his numbers. After all, he is the person who has been raising these fish on the Chilliwack River for decades.
I am going to have to second Rodney on this one, I have full faith in Buck, and his many, many years of hands on experience!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 07:06:28 PM »

;)Yea but Buck is old and grumpy after dealing with the "townies" for all of these years. Besides, I thought it was "Jim" who was rearing all of those fish. Right Pete ::)

BK in Squamish.