Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear confusion - suggestions appreciated  (Read 5099 times)

Narhay

Gear confusion - suggestions appreciated
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:35:26 PM »

I am in the market for a second all-around rod and reel for visitors and guests who all seem to want to see the salmon the rest of the world hears about so much in person. My current setup is a 10'6" shimano convergence with a 6500c3 and 30lb braid. Fishing use would be drift fishing and tossing spinners on the various local rivers near Vancouver for every species of salmon and steelhead.

I do not want to spend as much as I did for my setup on a rod and reel that will not see as much usage but I would like to buy new as I have a thing about used goods...I seem to be cursed. I am thinking of a spinning combo as I doubt picking birds nests out for my companions who have never used a baitcaster will be an enjoyable trip and they seem less expensive. The people I have in mind have used spinning rods in the past.

I saw an Abu Garcia cardinal spinning combo at army and navy for $109 that seemed to be about the right size for the fish I would like to target. However, I am confused with all the rod and reel specs. I see 6' rods being sold as salmon packages, 8'6" with large spinning reels, medium, medium heavy, heavy of all different sizes. When I purchased mine quite some time ago I was told 10'6" with an Abu c3 and that's what I have done so when I see 6' rods combined with large reels I get confused.

Care to help a noob out to find the right size and weight rod and reel for my purposes? Any specific items you could point out would be much appreciated.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Gear confusion - suggestions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »

Spinning rods sold for spincasting are usually shorter because a longer rod would make constant casting and retrieving pretty tiring after a short time. 6' is ok, but personally I prefer 8'6" for a couple of reasons. One is if I need to, I can still switch to float fishing without worrying about not having a long enough fixed float depth. Second is fish seem to be easier to handle with a longer rod.

Two rods that I have been my favourite are Trophy XL and Shimano Convergence. Both come in 8'6", have a rating of 8 to 12lb. I use it for bottom fishing with roe in the Fraser, spincasting for coho and pink salmon in smaller streams, carp fishing in lakes, beach spincasting... For reels, take a look at Shimano Sahara, good pricing and pretty reliable.

Narhay

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:20:55 AM »

Hi Rodney.  Thanks very much for getting back to me. What sort of rod weight should I be looking for in this length? Medium, medium heavy, heavy? Also, which size of Sahara would be best so I can at last get into the right sort of ballpark if there are other options.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »

No idea about the rod weight, I usually look at the lb ratings. 8-12lb, I guess medium?

I usually go with the 2500 size from Shimano for salmon but that can be a little too small, especially if you plan to use it for chinook etc. I only use it to target coho and pink salmon. 3000 or bigger would be more adequate.

Narhay

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:40 PM »

Thank you. I will have a look tomorrow.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »

The "action" of the rod - medium, medium-heavy, heavy, refers to the tightness of the "spring" in the rod.  You need heavier action to cast heavier lures and weights effectively.  Pay attention to the "lure weight" on the rod - it can be just as important as the line rating.  If there is any chance you are going to be using bouncing betties in the Fraser, be sure the rod can handle it.

lapa

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »

Boy-o! If ya be thinking that a Convergence and 6500 be costin' too much money, yar in the wrong hobby! 

Now I be not but a humble pirate, and I done my share of explorin' different rods and reels, but perhaps I may make a suggestion to ya which might be what you call no longer within 'the box.'  Aye! I ask ya, why ya be handin poor gear to yar guests?  When ya be fishing so much, why not buy yourself something better and give what ya got now to yar guests?  Aye!  There be many a fine filigreed reels out there and plenty of dainty rods to select from.  I would think if what ya have now be fine for ya, it be just as fine for yar guests.  Buy yourself a better rod and reel, and keep what ya have now for yar guests!  Yo ho ho!

X2. Make your friends happy ;)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »

Will a 7', medium-heavy, 4-14lb test rapala magnum spinning rod work for salmon?
Someone was here

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »

X2. Make your friends happy ;)

X3 - make your friends and YOU happy!!!  ;)

When I started gear fishing (blasphemy for me saying it), I had a Trophy XL 10.5 foot rod and an Abu Garcia C3 6500 reel that was spooled with 20 lb. mono.  Eventually, I upgraded the rod to a GLoomis GL2 and the reel to a Calcutta 200B.  After spending some time fishing with Stratocaster, I needed to get my hands on a Sage gear rod and ended up with a 2106.  Recently, I added a Shimano Technium rod for heavy salmon (i.e. springs) or big water (I'll let you use your imagination for where).  My point here is that as a flyfisher, I figured I would only rarely gear fish, and I didn't need top quality gear.  As I learned how to fish gear more effectively, I really wanted better quality gear and to me it does make a big difference (i.e. enjoyment factor).

Hey, do what's best for you.  My only advice is think about the application for your "backup gear" and make sure its the correct choice.  I wouldn't recommend a spinning outfit over a drift fishing outfit (i.e. baitcaster) for float fishing our local rivers for salmon.

Good luck and have fun!

Narhay

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am quite happy with my current gear and don't feel a need to upgrade it anytime soon. 

I fish maybe once a month or so on average so my gear requirements might not be as stringent as some of those that go out far more often. For a rod that will be used a couple times a year for visitors keen to go out, I do not particularly want to spend $300 after it is all said and done with line, tackle etc on another rod with such limited usage forecasts.

For a budget baitcaster, what are your thoughts on the Daiwa millionaire? For a spinning reel, what about the cardinal i106? Inexpensive quality would be ideal.

FreshyPT

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »

Seems as though you are on a tight budget ... as mentioned already, the Shimano Convergence is a good rod and shouldn't break the wallet; If it is then maybe you should ask your visitors / guests to provide a small $5-10 rent  ;D I have mine paired up with a Sedona 4000FD and I believe I paid around $135 for the setup. Sensitive enough for bar fishing Coho and just pushing the limits for Steelies (I have 15lb line on the reel, makes for about 150 yards of line I think). This is my budget keep in the truck rod and reel setup. Hope this helps! PS the funny thing about budget setups, it grows on you and almost becomes your primary rig because you know the characteristics of the setup best! Be warned!
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.
~ Just Keep Fishing ~

Brook Trout

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »

imo It's better not to completely cheap out on your gear as you might not be satisfied with the result. I'd rather fork out a few more bucks on a decent setup then a setup that in a couple years i'm gonna have to replace. ;)

Narhay

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »

Hey all,

Today I went out and purchased the 2nd setup.  8'6" 8-20lb ugly stik, cork handle  with Penn Fierce FRC6000 reel and 300 yards of 40lb braid. I'm sure my guests will appreciate a setup similar to what they are used to, but a bit beefier.

I just may have to take it to the pier and beach with me periodically for saltwater shore fishing when the visitors aren't visiting :)

ziggypal

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »

Hey all,

Today I went out and purchased the 2nd setup.  8'6" 8-20lb ugly stik, cork handle  with Penn Fierce FRC6000 reel and 300 yards of 40lb braid. I'm sure my guests will appreciate a setup similar to what they are used to, but a bit beefier.

I just may have to take it to the pier and beach with me periodically for saltwater shore fishing when the visitors aren't visiting :)

Hey narhay

What did the setup end up costing?