Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisher blank rods  (Read 3605 times)

rockfisher

Fisher blank rods
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:41:27 PM »

I was checking on some fly rods online and noticed they looked similar to my steelhead rods
that have no label except the maker. I contacted him and he said they were built on Fisher company blanks
who are no longer in business. the blanks are charcoal black and spiral contoured. was wondering if any others
out there have them or fished them?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Fisher blank rods
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:04:18 PM »

I certainly remember them being available here abouts 30+ years ago. Pricing was below Sage and similar rods at the time. They were popular 'custom' rods built by local makers & sold in local tackle shops such as Ruddicks at Canada Way and Boundary.. Can' tell you much else.

I picked this up from a surf casting website & it was dated 2009:

The Fisher Rod company was based in Southern California near Santa Monica Airport. During WWII they produced literally millions of fishng packets that were placed in every airplane, lifeboat and floation device. The packet contained what was essentially a handline, some hooks, lures, etc.

After the war, Joe Fisher (the father) began making boat rods for Los Angeles/San Diego saltwater anglers. The fiberglass rods were responsible for a lot of yellowtail, barracuda and other sportsfish. Joe would later recall catching a wheelbarrow full of barracuda off the Santa Monica pier and selling them for a dime apiece. At some point, probably around 1954 or '55, the family began making freshwater rods, boat rods and other traditional fiberglass products including some of the most beloved flyrods ever designed. J. Kennedy Fisher III (the son, my friend and client) was largely responsible.

Eventually Joe and his younger brother Jim took the company into carbon graphite. Joe was the rod designer, Jim the back-shop creative genius who pioneered the product. At some point they met Golden Gate casting champion John Tarantino, who is credited with conceiving the "spigot ferrule" to attain a perfect transfer of power from handle to tip. Fisher later licensed that ferrule design to Scott and others.

Fisher made rods under their own brand names as well as private label graphite for Hardy (the Hardy Smuggler), Orvis and most others.

With a deteriorating neighboorhood, the Fishers (Jim and Joanne; Jim and Mary) moved the factory from the industrial Santa Monica/Inglewood area to Round Mound, Nevada, not far from Carson City. Round Mound was (and is) best known for its legal brothels. The Fishers bought neighboring homes at Lake Tahoe, a 40-minute drive from the shop.

Suffereng from aging equipment, a lack of advertising dollars, a perception of being a West Coast rod, and fierce competition from Sage, Loomis, Scott and other excellent rods, the Fishers were forced to produce golf club shafts and other graphite products.

They sold what was left of the company about 20 years ago. Joe and Joanne moved to Sequim, Wash., to be near their children and grandchildren. Jim and Mary moved to (I think) Carson City. Joe suffered a series of strokes and became bedridden for about a year. He closed his eyes and died about three years ago. To the best of my knowledge, Jim still lives in Carson City.

from: http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/8-surf-fishing-forum/201673-fisher-blanks.html#post2109640
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rockfisher

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »

yes, I did some more searching and golden west had fly rods made for them by fisher and Hanson's in new west
used their blanks until late 80's.there is a lot of interest out there for blanks because they evidently were a good product
and USA made, not off  shore. I found that I have a golden west 9' 6', 9 dt that I think  I used (got it used) twice on the
 Chehalis over ten years, can't remember what it felt like.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »

Considering that Fisher has been out of business for close to 30 years this rod maker must have had these kicking around his shop for a long time. Perhaps he got them for pennies on the dollar when they liquidated their inventory? Fisher rods were known for being slow which is ok if that's what you want. I'd expect to get them for a very low cost if it was me. Most use rods from that era are not worth more than $50 dollars or so.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

rockfisher

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 09:09:45 PM »

my rods are from that time, mid 80's , got them used, had no idea what they were. and you are right, slower action/feel in graphite
and glass. take a look on eBay at Fenwick USA prices what they are commanding, plus people building glass rods and looking for vintage blanks to do so. you know what they say what goes around comes around and some of the early rods were works of art.
 or, it could just be nostalgia. I used a vintage bamboo rod and reel with a silk fly line on the Skagit for the first time this year.
 I was not impressed with the rod  or reel (low end) and heavy, but I really liked the way the silk felt and cast, a lot. went out and picked
5 more lines, mind you 2 of those are 70 years old, NIB, and will not be used, although they could. lots to learn from the past
is what I am saying, I guess.

rockfisher

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »

my rods are from that time, mid 80's , got them used, had no idea what they were. and you are right, slower action/feel in graphite
and glass. take a look on eBay at Fenwick USA prices what they are commanding, plus people building glass rods and looking for vintage blanks to do so. you know what they say what goes around comes around and some of the early rods were works of art.
 or, it could just be nostalgia. I used a vintage bamboo rod and reel with a silk fly line on the Skagit for the first time this year.
 I was not impressed with the rod  or reel (low end) and heavy, but I really liked the way the silk felt and cast, a lot. it was fun, I caught fish so I  went out and picked up 5 more silk fly lines, mind you 2 of those are 70 years old, NIB, and will not be used, although they could be. lots to learn from the past is what I am saying, I guess, and I am still learning. learning to post properly too, so I double
posted and need the previous one removed, long day!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 09:23:15 PM by rockfisher »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 07:50:43 AM »

Had a look on ebay & I see what you mean. I guess it's up to you to decide if these rods/blanks offer the value this seller wants for them.

If you like slower rods you may want to check out the "Common Cents" method of rod and fly line matching. It's been around for many years and some people who prefer slower rods or rods that load well down into the blank like to use this method.

http://www.common-cents.info/