Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catfish  (Read 6838 times)

KarateKick

Re: Catfish
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »

I don't think I have ever caught a bullhead, and I am a bit curious about them.

Whenever an inexperienced person shows me their "bullhead" it's always a sculpin.  I am sure because catfish of any sort always have whiskers, and sculpins don't.

The type of catfish I caught as a child tasted great in black bean sauce.  I recall them being brown.  I guess I never got stung because uncle handled the fish.

There were times we got dozens upon dozens in one day (with tiny toy rods), and other times we got none.  Uncle claimed the government zapped them somehow :D, because they competed with more desirable fish.

KarateKick

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

Karate kick
If you are wanting a high success, kid friendly venue....I take my kids to Pitt marsh. Google earth the area and before you get to Grant Narrows, turn right on the gravel road and park at the pipe gate.  Red and white bobber, medium split shot, #6 -8 hook and worm. You can catch catfish, bass, sunfish, crappies etc. Every pond or slough in that area has those fish. ....some have roadside access. Plus lots of wildlife to see.
In Burnaby ...deer lake has bass, sunfish, catfish, some trout and it is close with good access. I took a group of kids canoeing there and saw people fishing from the dock and several point in the southern shore. Worth a look. I took a small boat and floated around with my young son and we caught bass and sunfish on a bobber and worm.

As does Trout Lake in East Van.  Along with Sunfish, Crappie and Carp.
Again, bobber and worm or corn will get you action.

Hatzic lake in Mission, went the lake yesterday and caught over 10 of them. I have a boat if you fish from shore you will need a light casting or spinning rod, worms is the best bait.

Thank you so much! You guys are great.

Is Hayward Lake good for kids too?

sbc hris

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »

Thank you so much! You guys are great.

Is Hayward Lake good for kids too?

There's not much of a fishery in Hayward lake. I grew up fishing it. When the water levels are stable for years in a row the fishing can be OK, but since they started the renovations on the lower dam, they have been draining the lake fairly often, and for extented periods sometimes. This seems to have had an adverse affect on the ecosystem. Also, they stopped stocking it years ago which didn't help matters either. It's about the last place I would fish these days, especially with a kid.