Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CP casting  (Read 6072 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

CP casting
« on: September 26, 2011, 07:21:41 PM »

Got my first CP setup (islander steelheader reel and 11'3" Trophy titan TTCP3113 rod). I took it out for some casting practice on Sunday and had troubles getting any distance or even accuracy in the cast. With some more practice I'm sure I'll develop a technique that works for me, but does anyone have any tips for a CP rookie?

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
Re: CP casting
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »

use a bit more weight than u think u need till u get the hang of it !

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

It helps to have the reel start moving before you actually cast because otherwise you're fighting inertia (the tendency for a body to stay in the same position).  Just before your actual cast, release your spool and it starts the reel moving and you'll find that you can cast better.  Think of it as make your swing for your cast, just before the cast release the spool and line will start moving off the reel and then cast.  The tricky part is the actual timing so do it slow to get the feel. I'm presuming you're doing the "traditional" west coast style of casting where you're swinging the rod either across the body (backhanded) or from the side, versus a Wallis style cast. 
President Club S. C. & P.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »

Yes, use a bit more weight especially with the Islanders.  The Islanders require more of a start up than a smaller Milner.  I found that out the hard way as the Islander was my first CP reel.  You need to get the spool spinning well before your forward motion to cast.  I found that after casting the Islander for a while, I would have difficulty going back to my baitcaster.  Lets just say it wasn't pretty.  The Islanders are sweet reels but I have since switched to a Milner.  Much easier to cast.  I can cast a fair distance using only a few split shot, something that I would not be able to do in an Islander.

poper

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »

The weight of your float helps alot for casting.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »

unlike a baitcaster, you're releasing the line behind you and allowing the bend of the rod to sling the weight forward...accuracy depends on the flex of the rod and knowing the timing of the release point.

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

Practice, practice, practice.  The Pull Cast will change your fishing life forever once you figure it out.  Watch some videos on youtube, then take it to the river.  Tight lines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJHyQJIwP4w&feature=related

3/16ths

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »

Look up "modified wallace" on youtube.  this is the pull cast that I do.  seems to work ok.  a little trick that I found with this cast is to keep the reel horizontal as much as possible through the cast.  don't seem to get screwed up as much doing it that way.  this cast works well with lighter tackle.

If you have salmon gear on, definitely try out the "BC" cast.  again, look on youtube.  other than the side cast, this one is probably the easiest to do (for me at least).  

Hope this helps.  Stick with it, it doesn't take that long to "get".  Once you figure out how to keep the spool under control and to cast, you'll find pinning is a blast.  Plus, since there is virtually no drag on the spool, you can run your float through a seam effortlessly without reel tension swinging it back to shore.

3/16th's
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:46:16 PM by 3/16ths »

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »

i never knew it'd be so complicated, serves me right for not looking it up before trying it. I usually research things first so i know what im doing. Figured I could just go to the river and figure it out. Going to give it another go this weekend. Practice makes perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »

i would suggest sticking with the BC Cast and get the feel for the slinging motion and the point of release...once you get it, it becomes second nature and then you can decide if you want to switch to the Wallace.

c-pin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »

Where do you live ?? I am in Steveston. If you are local, I would be happy to give you some actual coaching. I live by a park, or there is a big grassy area in my complex.

Cheers,  John
(604) 690-7472
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

chum dad

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »

I just started cp casting last winter, it was very frustrating till i broke in the cp reel (Islander), guy at reaction  suggested spinning the reel for a few hours to break it in so it would cast smoother, spent a few hours watching TV and spinning the reel, after that the reel casted way easier. If your cp reel is new try that and then give it a go fishing, i also took some of the line off my reel as it would often birds nest on me, the reel was over spooled with line and that made a difference getting the cast out further.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »

Accuracy was a real issue when I first started casting a CP (still a rookie) - distance was ok.

I found I had to alter the direction I was facing in order to cast in the direction I wanted.

If the rivers flows to 12 o'clock, with a baitcaster, I was facing around 2 o'clock & casting to 4 o'clock.
(From the south side of the river with a left-sided cast - west flowing river).
With a CP, I need to face 10 o'clock to cast slightly up-river.

ICA

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »

It really isnt that complicated but what it needs is practice, practice and more practice. One thing to bear in mind is not to have jerky motion when casting but as soon as you release the spool on the forward stroke, start slow and then accelerate but very smoothly. You will do just fine! BC cast is best in my humble estimate.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 10:13:31 AM »

Well i have been out a few times now and i've got the hang of it. I can now cast a decent distance (not a big distance by any means) but long enough to get me into fish. Distance will come over time, for now im happy i'm able to get out and catch fish. It's a blast.
Next rod will be a spey rod, I have yet to try it.

Thanks to all that gave advice.