Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for some good Ucluelet Halibut charters?  (Read 3399 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Suggestions for some good Ucluelet Halibut charters?
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »

Well, I think this year I'm going to fork out some cash to take a fishing charter for halibut. I've gone for the past few years with a few friends on our own but nothing. So.... I'm going to pay to catch a hali.

So, any suggestions for a good halibut charter company in Uclulet? I was thinking of going with David Murphy but I'd like to hear about other people's experiences with his company, and others.

I'm thinking of going early-mid June. So, do you guys have any ideas? thanks in advance
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Suggestions for some good Ucluelet Halibut charters?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:17:36 PM »

Send an e-mail to IronNoggin.
He's your man.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »

Canadian Princess if you don't mind sharing a party boat.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »

I've not been with David for Halibut but I have for Steelies. I would book with him anytime, great company.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

Canadian Princess if you don't mind sharing a party boat.

Did this last year and I would not recommend it. Not enjoyable at all. It is very much like sockeye fishing but in the ocean  :o

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

Send an e-mail to IronNoggin.
He's your man.

That is exactly who I would recommend as well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sea-Run Fly & Tackle

• Advertiser
  • Sea-Run Fly & Tackle (604)-931-5044
    • Sea-Run Fly & Tackle
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »

Ken Meyers fishmyster Charters bar none the best out there!  He's been in that area more days than most people ever could imagine if theres a fish down there he'll get em.  1-250 720-5118.  Its a fun and productive day just ask my freezer.  Brian

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »

If I was going to charter in Ukee I would try to get Kevin with Murphys.  He is very knowledgeable and Keen.

Luckily Ukee is Hali heaven so I wouldn't worry so much about who you fish with, more so when you are fishing in terms of weather and sea state.  There is are mostly good guides in Ukee and Tofino.

June is the best month  for a chance at the big ones and be certain to start fishing early in the morning.

Oh,  The princes trip is priced right but can be a total all time gong show/circus which actually if you do like fishing and the fishing is good is a pretty entertaining experience.  I have heard so many funny story's but also much disappointment.   If I went again I would for sure where a helmet and eye protection.  Imagine 20 people jigging hali and springs in 200 feet of water.
Lots of crossed lines and birds nest and when the fishing is good people are freaking and the guide(deckhands) are running around dipping fish as fast as they can and re-tying people and there is yelling and ...   I will not type it all.

Then there is the vomit.

The vomit on these trips will get a guy down.

Thats another chapter.

Hands down when the fishing is not real hot you will be wishing you were on a charter boat for they will usually be finding fish still.

Anyone else got a princess story???

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 11:54:52 AM »

I would make sure you go at a time that has both Salmon and Halis it makes for a much better adventure at least mid summer! or have a look at a time when you can chuck flies at the coho as well?

Dont just do a Hali run like the others said the fight is boring feels like pulling up a door from the bottom,

Coho or Tyee is where its at!!!

we went last year in early July and 12 guys were 2 fish short of total limit pretty good haul

My 2 cents

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »

Anyone else got a princess story???

A few years back our party were the only Canadians onboard the Salmon Princess. On our way out to the fishing grounds I noticed there was a group of fishermen huddled inside the cabin nice and warm while we were showered by sea spray in the rough seas. After an hour's run into the mid Pacific, the captain got on the PA and announced that they were marking some nice fish and we can start jigging. Suddenly one of the guys inside the cabin which had been seemingly sleeping suddenly came to life and bolted to the stern, leaned over and emptied his stomach. The poor guy never did fished; he just stayed in the cabin and occasionally came out to puke.  He and his friends were obviously not accustomed to the ocean. One even went around and asked the other fishermen to chip in $20.00 each so we can ask the captain to take us back to shore !  :)It was funny seeing them back on shore later on that evening and they were still wobbling side to side. ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:10:56 PM »

Send an e-mail to IronNoggin. He's your man.

Why Thanks for that Milo! Appreciated! ;D

Been guiding out of Ukee for some time now, and don't recall Murph and his crew working out of there. Methinks their summer operation is based a fair bit up-Island...

Have worked with, and alongside Kenny. VERY Good Man out there, definitely amongst the best! And of course there are a handful of other rather talented Guides who work out of there.

BowHunter does make a good point above. While feeder springs are often reasonably abundant, the larger mature fish are generally much more common later in the season - late in July, through all of August and into September is usually the "peak". Added bonus in these later periods is the presence of coho, and from we've seen offshore already, methinks there will not only be a few of those this year, but some of eye-popping size!

Another consideration: Currently we are set at one halibut per rod per day, and two in possession. Dependent on the early catch, there is some small reason for hope that this will increase to two and two later into the season (guessing July / August). Of course this is something of a tough call, as the matter resides in the hands of DFO.  ::)

If however June is your preferred time, that is often when the larger halibut are taken. And there should be enough springs about to keep you happy.

I actually considered not guiding again this summer, for a few brief weeks. But, I got talked out of that, so will be back to Ukee once again this season wearing the guide hat. As I just made that decision a few days ago, there is still some wiggle room on my Dance Card. Feel free to E or PM to investigate dates and rates etc...

Regardless of who you go with, you are in for an interesting and FUN experience! Nothing quite like plying the waters with an experienced offshore raider! ENJOY your trip, and aYup, methinks Ken, myself or any of the other seasoned vets will get you into a flat one or two...

Cheers,
Nog - He who has many Princess Boat stories, but prefers to deliver them in person ;)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah, I did the princess charter once and actually caught a hali but it's a gong show of rods.

Iron_nog. email coming your way. Thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

SaltyFlys

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Ive been out on the Canadian Princess charters a few times. On the first trip I hooked up with a beautiful spring and brought it to the surface after about 10 minutes. The captain came down to take a look and was very surprised by the size of my fish saying "that's the biggest spring I've seen out here in years!" However my fish was not yet caught, it was still actively swimming about at the surface. All of a sudden a deckhand comes running accross the deck with this 15 foot net and thrashes it down right ontop of my salmon before I could do anything to stop him. All I could hear afterwards was screaming, both from my reel and me. The fish rocketed straight down to what seemed like 200 feet and spat the hook out regardless of the tight tension I held on him. I had no other bites for the rest of the day. A dark tale indeed, and is always painful to remember.