Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most impressive tackle shop in the west  (Read 3217 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
The most impressive tackle shop in the west
« on: October 05, 2005, 04:57:20 PM »

I just got back from vacation and on the last leg of my trip, I spent 3 days in Vegas.  While there, I had a chance to visit one of the most impressive fishing/outdoors shop I have ever seen.  I went to BassPro Outdoor World in Silverton (3 miles south of the strip).  The shop was huge, about the size of a walmart but two stories.  It wasn't just the size that impressed me but also the way the shop was decorated.  Hung from the ceiling was about a million bucks worth of fibreglass replicas of the various gamefishes around the world.  All of them were lifesized and included such fish as a great white shark and various marlin.  They had a huge tank full of bass and carp and catfish. They also had a man-made river running inside the shop. They had boats and other marine supplies inside.  They had practically every rod and reel you can imagine (except maybe centerpin reels) and even had a room just dedicated to fly fishing gear.  I will try and post some pics when I have time.  I managed to pick up an Abu 7000 C3 for 80 bucks US (after 20% off coupon).  I spent about an hour and a half there and that was with my wife and her parents! Obviously there was stuff that interested them as well because I could never get my wife to stay in a tackle shop for that long!  If any of you are going down to Vegas, I would definately recommend that you pay a visit.

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: The most impressive tackle shop in the west
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 05:25:28 PM »

When I was younger growing up in Ontario we used to get the basspro shops catologue, and my brother and I would fight over who gets to read it first.  Have always wanted to visit the one of their stores, although it would probably be really hard on the credit card.  Got to thinking a while back, thats the kind of store we need in Vancouver a Walmart sized sporting and fishing store, with streams running through it ect., just like the bass pro shop.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 06:01:40 PM »

I read somewhere that they are in Ontario and are making their way West in Canada. All I can say is that I feel sorry for some of the smaller shops over here.

I went into one in Florida, and I have to say it was indeed very impressive to see the sheer size of a tackle shop, racks of every rod and manufacturer you could think of. And the staff was surprisingly helpful too.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 07:32:55 PM »

There's one in TO now and a number of smaller places have gone under.
Some owners just closed up and joined Bass Pro Staff others were marginal operations that few cared about anyway-I have this from reading Fishing Boards in ON.
Note too that they don't sell just Fishing tackle but all kinds of outdoor merchandise-and that's where the real bargains are-when those things go on sale.
As much as I'd like to see one here I doubt we'll ever be that lucky-if there's no Bass Pro in Seattle/Tacoma-which is a lot bigger/richer place than Vancouver-why would they ever open up here?

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:07:29 PM »

We only have to drive to calgary to go to a mega stoe.  Wholesale sports and Russel sports have huge stores and carry almost everything.  Not quite as big as cabellas and basspro shops.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 10:15:11 PM »

Were there fish in the streams?

There were a few fish.  Not quite sure but I think they were bass and carp.

I have posted a link to my photos:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=234997547

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 11:15:51 PM »

The rest are here.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 11:28:53 PM »

Man, I could go crazy in a place like that. Too bad I don't have unlimited financial resources. :(