Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: netting vedder canal  (Read 27097 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: netting vedder canal
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:09 AM »

I don't know how the higher ups for DFO are chosen but it seems to me like they are likely appointed.  Appointed positions could just as easily be a friend or someone owed a job for a political favor than being appointed for knowing what they are doing.  Sadly, gov't doesn't work the same as the free market...

But who does the assessment of how bad or good a job they do? It isn't just sport fishers who think the V-C is exclusively theirs.

One thing to consider is that Public Employees, particularly as you move up the management ladder - have to carry out policy as directed by elected officials.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TNAngler

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »

But who does the assessment of how bad or good a job they do? It isn't just sport fishers who think the V-C is exclusively theirs.

One thing to consider is that Public Employees, particularly as you move up the management ladder - have to carry out policy as directed by elected officials.

Agreed, except, the problem is, those elected officials are not generally elected because of their ability to establish correct policy on the V-C, Fraser, salmon in general etc.  They are way above that and elected for broader issues and you don't always know what you are going to get on these types of policies until it is too late.  Especially after the special interests get involved.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2016, 10:44:01 AM »

Easy to say not always easy to do from a management perspective. Did you have much management experience in your DFO career Dave?

Point is the 'damage' to Cultus stock would appear to be as minimal as can managed - let's hope so.

Terminal fisheries are often low value fisheries as the salmon no longer have the nutritional or culinary value they do closer to tide water or in the ocean. In this case the terminal fishery has been difficult to execute from what I have read in your posts Rod
No management experience per se but I understood the concept well enough to be entrusted with informing the public about these decisions regarding Cultus sockeye.  I was also told I had an inordinate amount of common sense for a DFO employee, lol!  Four years ago FN realized the difficulty in catching these fish by dip nets or in Chilliwack Lake; what they should have done is fish the lower river, by seine or gill net, about a month ago when Chilliwack Lake fish were abundant and Cultus fish as rare as hens teeth.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 11:12:01 AM »

...what they should have done is fish the lower river, by seine or gill net, about a month ago when Chilliwack Lake fish were abundant and Cultus fish as rare as hens teeth.

Makes me think DFO didn't either A) didn't want FN clashing with sporties chasing red springs soon after the river opened, B) was concerned the water would be too high still to allow capture this early in the year? C) has no concept of the Cultus and Chilliwack run timings and just bent to FN pressure for an opening, or D) has given up on the Cultus sockeye run.

None are very well thought out, I would say.

Sage2106

« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »

If they natives weren't so lazy and actually worked at getting the fish instead of sitting back and trying to load gill nets. Fish those sockeye with a rod and reel we all know how readily they bite in the vedder. It's time to start steering away from gill nets to more truly selective methods. A fish wheel anchored down by the train bridge would work wonders.

Drewhill

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »

If they natives weren't so lazy and actually worked at getting the fish instead of sitting back and trying to load gill nets. Fish those sockeye with a rod and reel we all know how readily they bite in the vedder. It's time to start steering away from gill nets to more truly selective methods. A fish wheel anchored down by the train bridge would work wonders.

So are all commercial guys in the ocean and fraser lazy because they don't use rod and reel either? lol

Sage2106

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2016, 11:45:36 AM »

We are not talking about the ocean or the commercial gill nets we are talking about the selective fishery on the vedder.

TheLostSockeye

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »

Go over on the native land by sweltzer creek there. I have seen the FN use rod and reel.... With a treble hook and lead weight. They were catching lots of sockeye and throwing them up in the bushes

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

the solution to racist comments is to report them to the moderator.

Of then two major BC based web discussion boards (in term of number of posts) this one is by far the better. People here make an effort to control what they say and keep the discussion civil.

Please everyone continue to do so. Don't single out individuals or groups for insults or put downs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:03:54 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Drewhill

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »

We are not talking about the ocean or the commercial gill nets we are talking about the selective fishery on the vedder.

You're missing the point. You're calling them lazy because they're not using a rod and reel but they aren't out there to catch fish recreationally like commercial guys. And as Lost Sockeye said when they do use rod and reel they toss a giant treble and snag away which isn't very selective. If they get anything beside the target species it's pretty much dead.

Sage2106

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »

I wasn't calling them lazy cause they don't want to fish with a rod and reel. I should have explained better I meant they are lazy in the fact they want the easiest method least amount of effort most amount of reward. They gave up on the beach seining in the vedder cause it didn't work. Instead of attemping other methods they want to use gill nets. Sorry I didn't explain myself better.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »

If the purpose is harvest, then it only makes sense to produce the highest amount of protein with the lowest effort allowed by law.
Doing anything else is counter productive.

This is also why fishing for sockeye with rod and reel in the Fraser makes no sense whatsoever. It is a pure harvest and nets are more efficient than rod and reel.

Sage2106

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »

Granted that does make sense but when your fishing during the time of troubled stocks does it make sense?