Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders purchase  (Read 6732 times)

Silver

Waders purchase
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »

Where in Vancouver in the best place to get a set of Simms waders and boot? Are all of the tackle shops competitive...I want to get the best price.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Waders purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:29 AM »

Pacific Angler, Berrysbait And Tackle, etc....

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »

Unless its discontinued expect to pay the same price on Simms gear.  Difference might occur through import cost differences however.

They are very serious about mrsp.  For example Simms dealer in Washington sells for the same price as one across the street from the Simms factory.

Wish I had a Canadian example....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:09:13 AM by clarkii »

Silver

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

I think I will go to Pacific...they were the most friendy and informative out of the stores in Vancouver and North Van that i've been to.

I thought so, about the pricing. I even went to Holiday sports in Burlington and their prices seemed high also.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »

I thought so, about the pricing. I even went to Holiday sports in Burlington and their prices seemed high also.

How high?  I got my Simms Riversheds (wading boots) from them and they were the same price as cabela's (179.95)

This is the Simms website for Waders (with US MSRP)   http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/waders.html

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:48:35 AM »

Simms prices will be the same at small shops as they are at the big box places. Simms tells them what to sell them for and does NOT allow them any haggle room on the price. You may be able to get last years wader model(s) at a slightly reduced price but don't expect it.

I would go to the place you enjoy the most, let them have your money, create a good relationship with people at the shop and they will start sharing awesome info with you. I can't tell you how much info I have gained from some of the guys at M&Y over my many years of supporting them.  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »

Like others have said, Simms, like Sage and other higher end suppliers of Fishing goods try and keep their prices consistent and don't allow deep discounting by their distributors.  A couple of years ago, Costco got a hold of some G4 Waders and Sage Z-Axis fly rods from a third party and sold them down in their Washington State Stores for typical Costco prices (about 20-30% cheaper).  Since Costco was not an authorized dealer of Simm's products, Simms immediately went to all the Costco's carrying their Waders and bought them all back.

The only time you will see markdowns on Simm's stuff is when they are discontinuing a product or changing the style or colour.

This fall it seems like they are discounting some of their Headwaters gear.  You can pick up a pair of Headwaters goretex waders at Sierra Trading Post:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms-headwaters-gore-tex-waders-stockingfoot-for-men-and-women~p~7891n/?filterString=fishing~d~14%2F&colorFamily=01

You can have them shipped to a mailbox in Blaine and pick them up there to avoid paying brokerage and depending on how long you stay, the taxes and duties.

Sometimes you get really lucky and find a fly shop that has decided not to carry Simms products anymore.  In those cases, they are free to discount as much as they want.  I was able to outfit my Wife with new simms gear for a fraction of what they normally cost:

http://www.lelandfly.com/On-Sale/Boots_2/Simms-Guide-Boot-Vibram.html

http://www.lelandfly.com/On-Sale/Outerwear_3/Simms-Womens-Guide-Jacket.html

Because of the limited sizes available, I was only able to pick up a few t-shirts, toques and gloves for myself but my wife was sure happy!  The stuff has been thoroughly picked over but a couple weeks ago they had Simms classic guide waders for $99.  Too bad I'm not XL (or maybe not too bad).

Pin-nook

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »

I think I will go to Pacific...they were the most friendy and informative out of the stores in Vancouver and North Van that i've been to.

Huh?? How do you figure....are you telling me that Dave and Gill aren't friendly and informative??

Trophy Tackle

• Trophy Tackle
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:45:06 PM »

I'll also vouch for Highwater Tackle or Sea-Run Fly & Tackle.  Exceptional service and knowledge.  Aside from carrying the largest stock of Simms in the Lower Mainland, there's decades of fishing experience and knowledge in those shops.  Wholesale Sports in Langley is also stepping it up.  They introduced Simms this past spring.  And the boys at that location are great enthusiastic anglers.

And as mentioned, pricing is very close if not identical at all Simms retailers. 

chronicfisher

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »

I'll also vouch for Highwater Tackle or Sea-Run Fly & Tackle.  Exceptional service and knowledge.  Aside from carrying the largest stock of Simms in the Lower Mainland, there's decades of fishing experience and knowledge in those shops.  Wholesale Sports in Langley is also stepping it up.  They introduced Simms this past spring.  And the boys at that location are great enthusiastic anglers.

And as mentioned, pricing is very close if not identical at all Simms retailers.

X2 on sea run great guys there. Bought my g3 waders from them.

Hoop71

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »

X2 on sea run great guys there. Bought my g3 waders from them.

Just bought G3 waders, boots and guide jacket from them today. Excellent service!!

mr.bean

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »

searun fly and tackle. best guys out there. will beat any ones price.