Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legality  (Read 3695 times)

booters

Legality
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:55 AM »

Buying Sockeye from Natives,is it legal for me to do so at this time. The regs say otherwise however iam getting other answers. I thought I could get a correct answer from this forum.
I reside in the OK and do have the opportunity to buy from the Natives.
TX

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Legality
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »

I believe you can if they caught the sockeyes during an economic opening.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »

--at Osoyoos they had legal commercial purchase stands.
--the Codfather in kelowna also sells commercial native caught osoyoos lk sockeye.

--I heard of a few who obtained fish from "locals"...these fish were taken in the river... they are not legal to sell and those that got them got what they deserved (well almost).. once the fish enter the river from Osoyoos they ain't gonna taste or smell very good. So even if they did not get nabbed by the authorities they didn't get much of a deal.

Speyhead

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »

Buying Sockeye from Natives,is it legal for me to do so at this time. The regs say otherwise however iam getting other answers. I thought I could get a correct answer from this forum.
I reside in the OK and do have the opportunity to buy from the Natives.
TX

I read a piece this morning in the local Kelowna Courier paper where a conservation officer was monitoring a roadside fish stand and after this guy purchased a fish the CO stopped him on the highway and issued him a ticket.

booters

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »

Yes its still vague, the fish I viewed were not Fraser river fish, these were Oysoos sp, 7lb at the most. nothing wrong with that but I didnt buy,15 per fish, no big deal.I find the laws strange about this, u can buy fruit and vegetables from roadside stands and whatever else. My way of thinking

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »

after this guy purchased a fish the CO stopped him on the highway and issued him a ticket.

If this is true, the CO should have nabbed the guy selling the fish, not the random stranger buying it.  >:(

booters

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »

thats what i thought too,charge the buyer but not the individual selling? Thats like someone buying illegal drugs,witnessed obviously by enforcement then not bothering with the seller? Lots of grey matter here.

Drewhill

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »

Yes its still vague, the fish I viewed were not Fraser river fish, these were Oysoos sp, 7lb at the most. nothing wrong with that but I didnt buy,15 per fish, no big deal.I find the laws strange about this, u can buy fruit and vegetables from roadside stands and whatever else. My way of thinking

Exactly. There are roadside stands everywhere in that area. If this was in downtown Vancouver, maybe a bit different. Why wouldn't the CO just shut down the stand? Are they scared of the Natives?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »

--On the News tonight there is a place to purchase sockeye in Chase. Very limited quantities meant for local consumption.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »

earlier this month i bought some off a lady at a road side stand in Chilliwack and she had a business license !

Burbot

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

If this is true, the CO should have nabbed the guy selling the fish, not the random stranger buying it.  >:(

The authorities seem not to like going after Natives for a variety of reasons.