Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: baitcaster problem  (Read 6193 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
baitcaster problem
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »

My baitcaster overnight now lacks some casting distance from the day before. What needs to be done or replaced?
The Bigger The Better!

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: baitcaster problem
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »

Did you set the reel down in the river? Did you oil the bearings? Either way the bearing probably need cleaning. Take them out and submerge and rinse them clean in lighter fluid. Or replace them before the next trip. Maybe the reel just needs cleaning.

I should have first asked how much experience you have with a baitcaster.

Oiling clean bearings will slow them down resulting in loss of distance.

A dirty or dry worm gear/ pawl combination will also slow things down.

Another condition might be your pawl not traveling on the screw and the line has packed up on one side and rubbing slightly on the frame.

The other probable condition is that the free spool clutch/ regulator screw (sorry forgot what its called) is turned in a bit too much. With something attached to the line, click your spool release and let the line fall. You'll quickly tell if the spool is being held back or not. I like mine to completely freespool. Some like the spool to rotate no more than a turn and a half after the weight hits the floor.

Check the online manuals for your reel if you do not have them still.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »

Since we are on the topic of baitcasters and Rieber seems to know his stuff...

My crank handle on my Abu 4600 c3 keeps on going backwards and lets out line even when the release button is not engaged. What do i need to replace?

Thanks!!  :D :D

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »

Some more info on the history would help diagnose it. What reel is it? Lots of youtube vids on cleaning bait casters and in my experience with shimanos it can do wonders:) Never seen oiling bearings slowing it down, not sure what Reiber is talking about there. Cleaning and oiling them will do you good in all aspects. Are your magnets adjusted properly (if its a shimano)?

Shifter

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »

My crank handle on my Abu 4600 c3 keeps on going backwards and lets out line even when the release button is not engaged. What do i need to replace?

Sounds like your anti reverse bearing is gone, or your reel isnt completely disengaging free spool.
take her apart and clean er up, may fix it.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:45:28 AM »

Oil and grease are often the biggest culprits of levelwinds malfuctioning. Too much grease is a bad thing. Yes, the plastic anti reverse roller assembly could be loaded up and slipping. The other is the thin folded metal hood which rides against the large diameter directional cogged gear is prbably gunked up with grease preventing it from engaging and the spool rolls backwards.

Clean all the grease out and only apply a tiny amount where its needed. Follow the manual or take it in for service.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 07:38:05 AM »

Thanks guys for reply.  I will take it apart and clean it up hopefully  that would resolve the issue.

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »

Yes too much grease can be bad and slow things down but grease is for spindles, worm gears etc. Oil is for bearings and over oiling them would simply spin excess off with centrifugal force on the first cast. Don't grease those bearings, clean with lighter fluid or otherwise and oil them. They only need like a drop.

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »

How often should you be taking apart and greasing?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »

How often should you be taking apart and greasing?

There is no hard set answer to that. If you tend to dip your reel in the water then I think you may need to clean it every couple trips. Otherwise clean it before things start slowing down. You'll figure out the best frequency based on your use and habits.

Some people tear down and clean their reels after every trip. Some weekend warriors every Sunday. Some once a year and some never (or until they stop working properly).

I personally never put my reels in the water or lay them down in sand. I will give the pawl and screw a drop of oil or cleaning based on the dryness or how dirty they get. If my reel touches the sand, I strop using that reel and put on my back up. Then the dirty reel gets stripped down and cleaned before it goes back on the rod.

Don't kid yourself about the cleaning, ABU used to be bad about having too much or almost no lube in the reel. I haven't bought a new ABU in about 16 years so I don't know if they still overload them or not.

Regarding bearings, I clean the oil out of them with lighter fluid and then run them with one small drop of 3n1 oil. You can almost run them dry and then relplace them whenever needed every year or two.(cheap)

sbc hris

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »

My baitcaster overnight now lacks some casting distance from the day before. What needs to be done or replaced?

Probably the worm gear. Mine did the same thing. It's the most exposed part, and the easiest to gunk up. It's pretty easy to take out and clean/relube.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »

Are you low on line?
A full spool will act much different than half a spool.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »

There's also your spool adjustment knob.
Some times that gets moved inadvertantly while adjusting your drag and such...

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »

Temperature,   if over greased, colder morning temperature slows performance, use light lubes in winter months

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Lots of input for you. Did you fix the problem?

If you can't fix the problem - sell the baitcaster and convert to a centerpin.