Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp in Burnaby Lake  (Read 6339 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Carp in Burnaby Lake
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

As the weather warms up I have taken an interest in going after Carp because most places that hold them are close to home apparently.  My experience catching them outside of BC is they can give an exhilarating account of themselves on a line.

I have never actually caught a carp in BC but I had read about their presence in Burnaby Lake so I took my inflatable there last weekend just to row around and observe what might be there (unfortunately shore access is very limited. Maybe fortunate because few people seem to fish there)   Much to my surprise I immediately discovered some spots in the weeds where carp were milling about in less than a foot of water.

As I approached they would take off so violently that I was actually getting splashed by them.  I tried to get close enough to lob out a line with a piece of bread floated on the surface but I kept getting snagged up - too bad, I think it would have been a real rush to get into one like that.  Anyway, I do have some question:

a) What are those carp up to in the shallows like that - are they spawning or actively feeding? (If spawning I would rather stay away from them)

b) If they are feeding how does one go about catching them under those conditions? I found it very hard to get close and almost impossible not to get snagged up.   I have tried fishing the river into Burnaby lake with dough on the bottom but so far I haven't had so much as a touch on my line.  I KNOW they are there because I even saw one shoot off when my line hit the water. 

c) Is this even the right time to go after them - maybe it improves as the weather warms up.

I am finding these critters very elusive so any thoughts from other Carp enthusiasts would be much appreciated.  (..and, yes, I have read all of Rodney's articles on this topic).

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:27:14 PM by fishseeker »

fish fear me

Re: Carp in Burnaby Lake
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »

try bread bare hook on the surface even once it sinks it should still work it wouldn't make a splash might not spook em just a thought

Golfer

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »

try bread bare hook on the surface even once it sinks it should still work it wouldn't make a splash might not spook em just a thought

About 6 and a half years late...

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 03:58:29 PM »

They do that at vaseux lake in Oliver.I was stalking a school of carp all 15+lbs feeding right beneath the surface in like 12 inches of water.What i did was go 20 feet above the school and chuck wait t`il they are close then cast out corn (no weight) and a size 10 hook.Landed 3 in a span of 2 hrs.Great fights on light tackle.

KarateKick

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »

I've read that carps are bottom feeders. Many people use boilies with no float.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yos8pIhRdJ4

Not all the time!

And I love how this post has gotten more responses in one day then the past 6 years...

rustybee

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yos8pIhRdJ4

Not all the time!

And I love how this post has gotten more responses in one day then the past 6 years...

I want the last 2.50 min of my life back... LOL.  ;D