Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to play a chum.  (Read 4833 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
How to play a chum.
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »

I was out on the Stave today cutting my teeth on some Chum fishing - I had some opportunity last year but realised that I still have a lot to learn when fishing in the faster flows.   I lost a lot of fish because they would simply race into the heavy flow taking everything after them - thrilling but frustrating.  (I was using 20lb mainline with 12lb leader but the leader was often broken once they got below me)

Fortunately for me someone showed me a neat trick.  He showed me how to take the pressure off the fish so it would turn itself into the current and swim in the direction I wanted - against the current with me pulling in the opposite direction.   I guess it's their natural inclination to swim up against the current because that's where they are ultimately trying to go for spawning.

Even though that helped a great deal the fish I was into eventually tired (I think) and still dragged me quite a way down the river before I could get it close enough to the shore.   Is there a "best way" to handle a chum (or any large Salmon) in these circumstances?

Note: My rod is rated for 20lb test and I think that should be enough for most chum right?

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: How to play a chum.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Should be plenty strong enough.  What kind of reel are you using?  Did you have problems with your drag?  Was your leader old?  I have bent hooks before having the leader break using big game leader.  If everything is up to snuff.  Try fishing different water, or put the wood to it and don't let it get into the heavy flow.   

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »

SIDE PRESSURE!, put your rod parallel to the water's surface and put the wood to them, with 12lb u can drag them in!
Fish killer 101

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »

Thanks youngggun,  the rod parallel to the water's surface was another thing shown to me and it certainly helped but I still couldn't drag this guy in.  It was a big chum to be sure but probably not significantly larger than the average being caught today - my line seemed to be up to it and the rod too but once it got below me in the strong current I was pretty nearly screwed.   I got it in by running downstream after it, getting below the fish and and horsing it in.  Keeping below the fish and tricking it into pulling in the opposite direction against the current tired it enough for me to bring it into the slow water near the shore.

It felt like I was pushing my geat to the absolute limit.   I got a photo and attached a link to show what I got - I have no idea what this fish weighed but I suspect more than 12lb

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/fishseeker/PA190350smaller

Bentrod,  I was using a Shimano Axis (baitcaster) - I picked it up cheap in Japan and I am not sure it is available in Canada.  I have not seen them in the tacke shops here.    In the slower flow it manages well but, the current in this part of the river was pretty strong.  I think it's up to the Job but in the heavier flow I was nervous tightening the drag too much in case the fish made a sudden unexpected rush. (..and I wasn't the only one losing fish this - almost everyone else was too but doing a bit better than me on account of more experience I suspect)

I learned a lot today but there is no doubt I can learn more.  (If it hadn't been for the guy with the net and his advice this one would have been gone too).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:13:07 PM by fishseeker »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:27 PM »

it looks like u have tons of room, just take ur time, use the side pressure, dont horse the fish in, but put decent force on them. If it starts to run, hold ur ground till u think it getting to far, and then slowly start to walk down, dont run ur just give the fish slack to keep swiming, walk down slowly and keep cranking. Play them out, dont try to land it in 30 secs
Fish killer 101

Last Cast

• Live to Fish ~ Fish to Live
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »

Congrats on your salmon, fishseeker!  Chum salmon, if hooked in or very close to the mouth, are far easier to manhandle.  If its hooked in the tail or in the back, its not easy getting a 15lb+ fish in backwards or sideways against the current.  I was out there too today fishing with homemade colorado blades and C & R several 'chummlies'.  I recall foul-hooking only a couple and it was a chore getting them in for sure.  Blades usually reward me with 1) a biting fish, 2) a clean healthy fish, and more often than not 3) a female fish which is much smaller than the big boys and thus easier to bring in.   ;D  My mainline is 15lb Maxima and leader is 12lb.  My leader is about 18-24in and float is about 3-4ft up from my 2-way swivel/sliding weight.  I also cast out quite far as I believe the fresher fish stay out/in the main flow whereas the weaker/darker fish take the softer water.  By the way, you passed me on your way down the shoreline fighting your fish.  I was the fellow who said "better put the boots to that before he gets the better of you!   ;)   

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »

If possible, stay even with it in the current.  Try not to let it use the current for its advantage.  Changing angles is the key.  Holding your rod parallel uses the butt of the rod to fight the fish, hence more power.  However, changing angles is the key.  A fish can recover much faster if the pressure is only coming from one angle.  If you change your angles more frequently, it has to use more muscles to fight the changing pressure angles and tires out quicker.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »

One more thing.  The fish I have caught on bigger water tend to be a little more difficult to land.  I think it's because they have a little more realstate to move.  Catching a fish in skinny water limits its options. 

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »

ya, either the water or the air, its scary when they decide to give u a shower and just go nuts, oh rod i love that dance u did in the harrison chum movie when u lost ur first fish, too funny
Fish killer 101

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 07:20:28 AM »

just a thought on big fish in fast water...if he's headed for the coast drop your drag and let line freespool till the fish stops...then let the current take the slack downstream...fish feels this pressure and comes right back up the run...reel in your line and hopefully the fish will come in as well.....;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »

Change leaders often.
Slide your fingers over them after every fish.
Side pressure to bring them close and then once you have them close lift their head out of the water
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 08:25:15 AM by adriaticum »

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »

Congrats on your salmon, fishseeker!  Chum salmon, if hooked in or very close to the mouth, are far easier to manhandle.  If its hooked in the tail or in the back, its not easy getting a 15lb+ fish in backwards or sideways against the current.  I was out there too today fishing with homemade colorado blades and C & R several 'chummlies'.  I recall foul-hooking only a couple and it was a chore getting them in for sure.  Blades usually reward me with 1) a biting fish, 2) a clean healthy fish, and more often than not 3) a female fish which is much smaller than the big boys and thus easier to bring in.   ;D  My mainline is 15lb Maxima and leader is 12lb.  My leader is about 18-24in and float is about 3-4ft up from my 2-way swivel/sliding weight.  I also cast out quite far as I believe the fresher fish stay out/in the main flow whereas the weaker/darker fish take the softer water.  By the way, you passed me on your way down the shoreline fighting your fish.  I was the fellow who said "better put the boots to that before he gets the better of you!   ;)   

Thanks Lastcast.   I do remember your comment - you were the tall guy in the faster flow patiently waiting for me to get it in right?.   Thanks for that.

Most of the fish I caught until yesterday were in slower water closer to shore.   I thought, mistakenly, that most of them would be there preferring to head up against the slower current but I guess they are not as fresh as the ones further out - mind you, one I got close to shore gave me a screaming run skipping the surface as it went so I am not sure it's always the case(Lost that one too  :'()

The colorado blades were not producing for me at all until someone showed me how to fish them correctly - then I was into a bite every second cast.  It's an excellent technique done correctly and I don't think I had any foul hooked - not that I could necessarily tell with so many getting off.

Thanks a lot everyone for all these answers - all things I am going to try and get some more experience with.  So in summary:

Stay even with it in the current - hopefully not pissing off anybody downstream of me by making them duck.
Use side pressure.
Change the direction of the pressure frequently.
Try to get some slack downstream if it gets below you.  (Thanks Mojoman)
Get its head out of the when it gets close.
Check leaders after each battle - I can see how thats a really good idea.

I was also shown how to take pressure off the fish when it started to come down directly opposite me - that really helped too.

Skunked Again

• I Lurk therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »

Ok, don't leave us in suspence, how do you fish colorado blades successfully?

Thanks

David

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »

OK the secret with blades seemes to be this (and I am sure most of you know this way better than I do):

Make sure the blades spin.

I was trying to maintain as natural a drift as possible so that the blades would just drift directly below the float (as you would when nymphing or fishing with bait) - fortunately a very kind gentleman pointed out the error of my ways.  A natural drift works great with bait but it doesn't work with blades because they won't spin that way.  This is what I was taught to do:

a) Make sure the depth below the float is right.  (That part I knew)
b) Cast slightly upstream of where you are standing (That gives the blades time to sink - make sure the float is well balanced with additinal weight above the spoon)
c) When the float comes directly opposite where you are standing maintain tension on the line with the rod up high so that the float points slightly towards you - that way the current kicks the spoon out and gets it spinning nicely.
d) Let it complete a full swing and hold the float there for a few seconds.
e) Repeat.

After doing that I went from zero takes to a take on every second cast or so. Phenomonal how something so simple could make such a difference.  (Note: I was fishing in strong current so this got the spoon spinning really well.  It may not work so well in a lighter current I suspect).

I hope this helps.

WildRod

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:22:37 PM »

Great thread!  Thanks for the tips guys!  Hopefully this will increase my catch-to-skunk ratio.  ;D