Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey Lessons  (Read 5003 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Spey Lessons
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »

In the next month or so I'd like to get out and learn to cast my new spey set up. Just wondering who you guys have taken lessons with and who you'd reccomend.

I'm looking to get into a small group class. A private 1-1 would just cost too much.

Sea Run does a one full day on the Fraser (Kilby I think) for somewhere in the $150 range. The class is focused on Skagit casting.

Willie Holmes is doing a two day spey school this winter for $259. More than I want to spend but I have had a single hand group lesson with Willie in the past and found him to be VERY good.

I live in Chilliwack and would like something on the Vedder or Fraser.

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Spey Lessons
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

As you probably already know, most fly shops offer spey casting coarses at some point or have some really good casters you can book lessons with.

M&Y especially have some really good casters in their arsenal. You'll definately want to attend the big Spey clave they put on, but that's not until April. From time to time they also will have "casting tune up" dawhat here there are a handful of people to watch your casting and gve you some advice. Also keep you eyes on Flybc, they usually have an informal casting tune up before steelhead season in December, as well as a bunch of spey guys usually get together new years day.

Rio has a three DVD set called "modern spey casting" with Simon Gawesworth that I would highly recommend watching and should get you started in the right direction. It is also a great tool to refer back to as you are learning as there is a lot of info on casting faults, so if you are struggling with your line doing something weird, you can reference back and figure out why and what you need to correct..

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »

Spawn Sack - the FlyBC guys usually always have the "tune up" in the beginning of December and then again have a New Years day gathering every year. Both events happen at the train bridge run because there is lots of room for casting and parking. I try to attend the tune up every year and enjoy casting lots of different setups, I have had to miss the last 3 NYD events because my other half drinks to much and needs me home to watch our kids LoL  ::)

I think the tune up day last year had 1-2 instructors and then a couple more very good spey casters that helped newbies with casting.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »

BNF861, thanks for that and I've heard of that spey clave I'll have to check it out next spring. Hopefully I can get a lesson in, practice on my own afterwards, and attend that FlyBC casting tune up in December.

As for the DVD series it sounds good I'll likely buy it. I read Simon's book on single hand spey casting which helped me out a fair bit.

HOOK, thanks again as always. I'll try and remember to keep an eye out for this flyBC tune up day. Sounds like something I'd like to check out. Would also be nice to meet a few other spey fishermen who fish around here as the guys I currently fish with are all die hard gear heads :o

I've been trying to get the misses into spey casting but she is too cheap to buy the gear and likely too subborn to learn the casting :o

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »

Spawn Sack - let me look around in my stuff. I cant remember if I sold my Rio dvd set. I do still have Skagitmaster 1-3 if I don't have the Rio set still. I think the SM series is better if you'll be tossing skagit lines.

just give me a bit to get my SM 2,3 back from a friend that borrowed them. I have no problems lending them to someone for a short time
Check out our new blog

Lyall

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 10:52:20 PM »

Talk to the guys at M&Y - specifically Aaron or Tim. Both are great guys - very friendly, patient, and helpful. Their prices are very reasonable as well. I say bite the bullet and get a proper private lesson, it will save you a lot of frustration and you will get into fish a lot quicker. I took a private lesson and it doesn't take long for them to find the fatal flaws in your stroke and help you get on the right track. Another beneficial part is that they are both avid spey fisherman and can help you get into more fish.

Here is their contact info:
http://moderntraditional.wordpress.com/about/

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »

I was lucky enough to get out for a couple one on one sessions with Brian Niska when I lived in whistler. They are based out of Squamish now so he may be another option. He is a boatload of information and a really good dude to boot. Taught me a ton in two sessions.
always a student

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »

Hi dereke
we should hook up sometime with the Spey rods and you could give me a few tips ;)

would also be good to have a spey meet with anyone interested :-\

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

Talk to the guys at M&Y - specifically Aaron or Tim. Both are great guys - very friendly, patient, and helpful. Their prices are very reasonable as well. I say bite the bullet and get a proper private lesson, it will save you a lot of frustration and you will get into fish a lot quicker. I took a private lesson and it doesn't take long for them to find the fatal flaws in your stroke and help you get on the right track. Another beneficial part is that they are both avid spey fisherman and can help you get into more fish.

Here is their contact info:
http://moderntraditional.wordpress.com/about/

Yep.  Took a skagit casting boot camp class with these guys back in February and it was well worth it.  Tim and Aaron are great instructors, and awesome spey casters.  Give M&Y in Vancouver a call and see if they can help you (I'm sure they can).

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »

Spawn Sack - let me look around in my stuff. I cant remember if I sold my Rio dvd set. I do still have Skagitmaster 1-3 if I don't have the Rio set still. I think the SM series is better if you'll be tossing skagit lines.

just give me a bit to get my SM 2,3 back from a friend that borrowed them. I have no problems lending them to someone for a short time

HOOK, any chance I can borrow these DVD's? Would only want them for a week or two and if I really like them I'd likely buy them. Gimmie a shout at kcp@alumni.sfu.ca

The instructor I had my lesson with reccomended the book "essential skills for single and double hand..." by John Symons and Phillip Maher. If anyone else can reccomend a good book or DVD specific to skagit casting that would be awesome :) BNF81 reccomended "modern spey casting"  by Simon Gawesworth which I'll check out online.

I'm also wondering if anyone had any general words to the wise as far as the learning curve goes with spey casting. How long did it take you to get "good" etc. I had an all day lesson on Sunday the 29th, then got back out on the 31st to practice for 3-4 hours.

Some of the casts went well and I was like "right on - I remember how to do it!" whereas as other casts I kept flubbing up, and without the instructor to be there to offer correction I could not figure out what the issue was. For example, when fishing river right (I think...downstream is off my right shoulder...I can never remember the correct terminology ???) I kept blowing my anchor. Not sure if I was sweeping the rod up to key position too fast (my best guess), or what. Was getting pretty frustrated >:( However doing a circle-c and roll cast off my left shoulder ("cack handed" as the instructor would say, haha!) went ok most of the time. As nice as it would be to book another lesson with the instructor, it is simply not an option ($) and I will have to trouble shoot it myself by videoing myself, reading books, watching dvds, youtube, etc.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »

HOOK, any chance I can borrow these DVD's? Would only want them for a week or two and if I really like them I'd likely buy them. Gimmie a shout at kcp@alumni.sfu.ca

My buddy in Kelowna has them right now and wont be down until near the end of the month. The Skagitmaster dvd you want is #1 which I DO have with me here and your welcome to borrow it. Its a burned copy but plays just fine  :)

SM 2 is about mending a controlling your line and fly for proper presentation to the fish. SM 3 is about flies, how they are constructed for best movement in the water and how they contrast in varying water colours and against the sky because fish look forward and up

there is a #4 which focuses on swinging on Great lakes tribs for steelhead but a lot of the stuff in it can be used here. I haven't watched this one yet but plan to buy it shortly

email me with your number SS and we'll figure out meeting up
Check out our new blog

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

Sweet thanks! :) It sounds like the whole series is good so I'll likely buy the whole shabang, but it would be nice to check out #1 to get a feel for the instruction etc. I'll send you a PM on this site with my #.

I THINK I know how to mend properly, but I've only really river fly fished for pinks, chum etc with my s/h rod and we all know they aren't too picky about presentation. In other words my mending and related skills could be shite. I've never caught a coho on the fly (despite targeting them with coho flies) so I'm probably not as good as I think I am as I can catch them on my gear rods no problem.

I'm determined to put in the time with my spey rod, get decent at casting it, and get into a steelhead or two this winter!

mdc8427

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »

Ya man like he said,  dig into those pockets for a class. had a go of it on my own for a year did alright but improved ALOT with a one 3 hr class. A pro can show you what your doing wrong in a heart beat and youd be amazed how one small thing your doing wrong holds you back.