Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thompson river near ashcroft....  (Read 6566 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Thompson river near ashcroft....
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »

Just got a job at highland valley copper mine and am working a four day on four day off sched that gives me alot of time to fish. Lots of lakes around and i would like to fish the  thompson river in or near ashcroft when im driving back home to whistler. just wondering if any of you have fished near this spot and what has worked for you all in the lakes and the river.  the river near ashcroft looks like excellent water to fish and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. pretty stoked to explore this part of the province.

tight lines

derek
always a student

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Thompson river near ashcroft....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »

I fish that river all the time in the summer. When the lakes around there turn off the Tom turns on.

There is first class action up the road from Ashcroft. Not hard to find just follow the road you see paraleling road upstream from town and park in the last pullout. Mornings, evenings, and overcast days are best, the bite drops to nill when the sun hits the water. Stonefly Nymph, Stimmulator, Hopper, Leadwing Caddis, and Tom Thumb are you go to flies in sizes 6 & 4 (Yes I Said #4). Big flies big fish, there are resident Bows in that river that run up to 28 inches. Also watch out for snakes, the Rattlers usually don't bother people, but they don't like to spooked or stepped on! So give them their space.                                                                         

Try the Nicola too, it's also an under used fishery and can surprise you.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

eggma

• beat it
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 03:42:46 PM »

I fish that river all the time in the summer. When the lakes around there turn off the Tom turns on.

There is first class action up the road from Ashcroft. Not hard to find just follow the road you see paraleling road upstream from town and park in the last pullout. Mornings, evenings, and overcast days are best, the bite drops to nill when the sun hits the water. Stonefly Nymph, Stimmulator, Hopper, Leadwing Caddis, and Tom Thumb are you go to flies in sizes 6 & 4 (Yes I Said #4). Big flies big fish, there are resident Bows in that river that run up to 28 inches. Also watch out for snakes, the Rattlers usually don't bother people, but they don't like to spooked or stepped on! So give them their space.                                                                         

Try the Nicola too, it's also an under used fishery and can surprise you.

Thanks for the info, newsman!!  I always wanted to hit the Thompson near Ashcroft on my way back to the lower mainland from Clinton but never got around to it.  Going to be doing alot of road tripping this year so I'll have to check er out for sure.
And you are absolutely right about the snakes.  Please respect them and remember that most of the snakes in this region are blue or red-listed and it is illegal to kill, keep, or harm ANY reptile native to British Columbia.  Very fun to observe but definitely give them their space.

Tight lines, fellas!!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:04:08 PM »

You've got a phenominal lake up behind you, as well, called Island Lake. Fishes very well on chronies, blood worms in the spring , gomphus, and sedges through July.  Actually, it fishes well through the entire summer because it's at 5000ft.  There's another lake right on the highland copper mine property that has had great fishing in it in the past.  Don't know what it's like now, though.  It's a great area to be centred at.   

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:16:06 AM »

As a employee or a contractor of Highland Valley Copper, will you have access to the private experimental ponds/lakes (Trojan ponds) that the mine has stocked with trout? Its rumoured that these unfished ponds have plenty of triploids swimming in them that are in excess of 10 lbs  ;)

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 11:13:04 AM »

they have a company fly fishing derby during the summer some time in july i think. we get access (as employees) to trojan pond during september and october i heard from my foreman. cant wait, trophy lake with a ton of really big rainbows is the rumor. thanks for the info boys. talked to brian at whistler fly fishing yesterday and he was saying that just down from ashcroft on the thompson the rainbow fishing is phenomonal in late summer. i think its only open certain time though (may 1 - may 31) and after the end of june?. regardless i cant wait. living in kamloops for my four days on and whistler for my four days off i really am getting the best of both worlds. its gonna be a good year..

tight lines
derek
always a student