Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chronimid Question  (Read 5383 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Chronimid Question
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »

I'm starting my spring tying and was wondering if there is interest here in purchasing chronies.

What I'm looking to know is first off what kind of demand there would be.

I would also need to know what people would be willing to pay for high quality flies. We're talking proven patterns, on high quality hooks and tungsten beads. These are much better quality compared to the flies you would be buying at the fly shop for $1.50 and up.

I'm not looking to mass market, this would be for FWR members only.

Let me know what you guys think, and I will see if I can make this viable.
Actions speak louder than words.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Chronimid Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »

Chironomids are simple flys. But if you're tying them with Tungsen beads ($.40/bead) and Tiemco's ($.28/hook) and coating them with hard as hull or something of the like you should be able to pull $2.25 a fly.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 10:11:04 PM »

Unless your tying the Chan ones with the gills etc that are a royal time sucker to ty, I think it would be tough to sell many at too high of a price...chironomids are about as easy to tie as any fly but those Chan ones can be a mother at times...

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »

Most chironomids in stores sell for the same price as other trout flies. So for custom tied flies $2.25 is not unreasonable. The problem is that most people that are experienced enough to know how to fish chironomids properly already tie their own flies.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »

Most chironomids in stores sell for the same price as other trout flies. So for custom tied flies $2.25 is not unreasonable. The problem is that most people that are experienced enough to know how to fish chironomids properly already tie their own flies.

I agree with you Dion. I just know that there is a large contingent of new flyfishermen on this site and that being armed with the right flies will dramaticly increase their learning curve. Most of the chronies availiable in shops are not tied on good hooks or with good beads. Those two factor alone will result in much fewer fish, not to mention that most of them are tied are far too fat.

I want to hear from guys like bigsteel, fishfreak and others with little experience in this area. Chances are they won't try tying thses flies until after they've been out a few times. That means they're going to need to arm themselves initially and what I'm trying to offer here is premium flies for the price of marginal flies at the fly shop.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 09:33:51 AM »

If you want to sell them for 1.50 each, and you take paypal, I'll take a dozen.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 12:03:36 PM »

Hey biffchan.  I'd be interested in some of your "secret" patterns!   :D  I guess there's no real secret to chironomids.  You just have to get out there and see what's happening.  I've got about 450 chironomids and I often found that the hot pattern last spring doesn't work as well the following year.  There's always a selection of "general" patterns that everyone should have including chromies, black, maroon, olive, red-butt, etc...all in sizes ranging from 18 - 10.  I agree with you about store bought flies.  I've only hooked fish on my own patterns (generally because that's what I fish with all the time).  I also only use good quality materials and I always use an adhesive (e.g. hard as nails) where applicable.  For those wanting to start out, biffchan's offer sounds pretty attractive.   ;)

By the way - when you find the right pattern, it can literally be "a fish a cast"!  Boy - I can't wait until Spring!   :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »

How much are you charging Biff?  I might be up for some of them.  Mind you, I have to come up with money for my u-boat first, so.......
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »

How much are you charging Biff?  I might be up for some of them.  Mind you, I have to come up with money for my u-boat first, so.......

I'm still trying to figure out if its worth my while to tie these up but if I do I think we'll be looking at about $2.00 per. Not too bad when you consider as Dion mentioned that each fly has about $0.70 in materials put into it.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:04:21 PM »

OK, if you want to sell a dozen in larger sizes at $2 each, and you take paypal, I'll buy 'em.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 04:35:27 PM »

$2/each is a very good price. If your on the boarder of buying some I would because you will pay more to have custom ties done by a Shop.