Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: huge GONG show  (Read 7241 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
huge GONG show
« on: September 02, 2005, 08:09:30 PM »

went to peg yesterday and WOW :o the biggest GONG show in chilliwack,so went to another bar up river and it was a lot better maybe no more than 20 people and everyone hooking into fish got 1 sockeye,1 pink both does  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: huge GONG show
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 08:12:26 PM »

Someone should bring a gong, and bang on it once every ten minutes, or everytime when someone hooks up a fish... two bangs for each sockeye, one bang for a pink... You'll make friends very fast like that... ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »

what about spring ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »

We need a marching band for that... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 08:22:42 PM »

Anglers jubilant over sockeye opening

By Jennifer Feinberg

The Progress
Sep 02 2005

Opening a week-long sockeye fishery this week for recreational fishermen makes a lot of sense, said local angling rep Frank Kwak.

"Recreational anglers are finally happy," he said.

At midnight on Wednesday, DFO opened the Fraser River to anglers for the daylight hours. It is only open upstream from the confluence of the Chilliwack/Vedder river system to the Hope bridge.

The recreational fishery runs until Sept. 7 with a daily limit of two per day retention.

The last minute announcement came soon after the commercial sector was told it would not be getting an opening and the aboriginal food fishery was closed downstream from Chilliwack. Sto:lo food fishers have openings for set and drift net for the weekend.

Local bar manager Dan Brooks works nights so he headed down to Peg Leg bar yesterday morning to catch his sockeye limit. He'd heard through the grapevine at Major Leagues the rec fishery was set to open.

"Finally it's open," he said. "Everybody is happy and there's no tension here yet. But it's going to become a zoo on the river."
By 10 a.m. Thursday, the anglers were already starting to line up at Peg Leg.

"This is where everybody comes who doesn't have a boat," he said. "It's beautiful weather and I bet over the long weekend it's going to be even busier here."

The economic spinoffs from the annual meat fishery can be huge.

"Based on the statistics recorded by DFO and various reports, the sockeye fishery is worth a lot of money to the community," Kwak said.

Tackle shops, hotels, restaurants and gas stations will likely see an increase in business this weekend.

Boundary markers are now in place on the river to show where the limited angling area starts.

"We asked them last year to put up the triangles to indicate where anglers could fish," he said.

Some anglers were considering a protest when it looked like DFO was not going to open a recreational fishery at all, despite the fact that eight million sockeye are estimated to be in the system.

The ultimate way to express genuine concern with the way the fishery is managed is to join an organization with a mandate to lobby hard to see the fish protected, Kwak points out.

Some of the organizations worth joining, he says, include the B.C. Federation of Drift Fishers, the Fraser Valley Salmon Society, a local rod and gun club or the Sportfishing Defence Association.

"There's an opportunity to make a bigger impact that way," he said. Kwak is a vice-president of the salmon society and a director of the SDA.

Dan Brooks (right) tries to catch a second sockeye salmon at Peg Leg as he and other fishermen line the shores of the Fraser River Thursday. JENNA HAUCK/ PROGRESS

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 08:46:23 PM »

gong banging time GONG GONG GONG  ;)

Nikko

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 08:48:34 PM »

That's insane!!  Sure not my kind of fishin', but I guess each to their own.

Nikko

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 09:13:48 PM »

yea the guy with the red hat was a beauty
i think he might have looked once pre cast
funny though   
he still caught fish
 :D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 09:43:30 PM »

wheres chuck barris when ya need him ;D ;D im gonna sit this weekend out and wait till tues. by then most of the gongs will be back home where they belong. ;D ;D

lowlight

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 11:48:42 PM »

omg how does that even qualify as fishing? If these people want to eat salmon so bad, just go buy some!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 12:17:18 AM »

who said they were fishing? Their only it it for the meat!
The Bigger The Better!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 12:20:43 AM »

Why do people wear waders while standing on shore flossing? lol.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 08:23:44 AM »

good point i have often wondered why they wear waders when from shore and its 100 degrees outside. guess its a fahion statement ;D ;D

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 09:10:10 AM »

That is so funny.  I guess that's why their called beeks. ;D

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2005, 12:16:44 AM »

Went out today, thought that it would be a mess!  It was.  I dont know, if you can cast and hook a fish in that situation you can do it anywhere!  Not all the guys out there are BEAKS by the way!  Most of the people around us were good fishermen, very few tangles and people were pretty friendly!  Everyone knows that it is a meat fishery and it is accepted as that!  I also fly fish on lakes and streams, so I dont consider myself a beak!   It was actually kind of fun!