Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cranbrook with the kids  (Read 1117 times)

mci

Cranbrook with the kids
« on: July 19, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »

Going to be in the Cranbrook area mid August (Moyie Lake actually), any recommends on a good kids fishing spot. They are both young and lose interest really quick if the fish aren't biting. Thanks

ejeffrey

Re: Cranbrook with the kids
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »

I was in Cranbrook for a wedding 3 weeks ago. The ceremony and reception were at a tiny lake called Idlewild. It is stocked with trout but is only open to fishing for seniors and kids under 15 (I believe). I'm not much of a dancer so during the reception I took my nephew and my fishing rod to the lake shore. We grabbed some shrimp from the buffet and cast it out about 20 feet under a bobber. I got him hooked into 3 fish in about 20 minutes - 2 rainbows and a cutthroat.

The fish were not large by any stretch (around 8"), but I think it could be a great lake for kids. There is a huge open field area for them to run around and it is very safe. There is a walking trail all the way around the lake which you could complete in about 15 minutes. The lake is just outside of the city.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Cranbrook with the kids
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »

I'm not familiar with any fisheries in that area, but I highly recommend a visit to the Kootenay Trout Hatchery just east of Cranbrook. There's quite a bit of stuff for the kids to do at the hatchery, feeding the big trout at the front of the facility, the aquariums, tour of the hatchery and fishing at the trout ponds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXmPZ3iXgg

http://www.gofishbc.com/about-us/what-we-do/fish-hatcheries/kootenay-hatchery.aspx