Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whonnock or Rolley  (Read 5930 times)

jaygobes

Whonnock or Rolley
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading this...I am pretty new to fishing and have decided to take my two sons out (9 and 12) to throw some lines in from shore (we don't have a boat).  Any recommendations on where to go?  I have heard that both Rolley and Whonnock are good (we live in Maple Ridge)...does anyone know if one is better than the other at this time of year?

Thanks for the help. :D

Jay

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Whonnock or Rolley
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:06:57 AM »

I would go to Whonnock. There is a dock there to fish from, it is stocked with rainbows and it has a good population of crappie which are easily caught and can be fun for new fishermen because it is usually constant action.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:32 PM »

Another option from Maple Ridge is to head west and fish Lafarge Lake, Como Lake or Buntzen Lake. These three lakes are more regularly stocked so your chance of success is much bigger. Buntzen Lake was just stocked last week with 1,500 fish. If you hike along the eastern side of the lake, there are many quiet, productive spots.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=170

Both Lafarge and Como Lakes have excellent shore access but they can be quite busy. If I were to choose between the two, then Como Lake would be a better choice as it seems to receive less fishing pressure.

Whonnock Lake has also been stocked last week, but I've always found it to be a challenging lake for shore anglers as majority of the fish can only be reached by a boat.

Nutterbug

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

Another option from Maple Ridge is to head west and fish Lafarge Lake, Como Lake or Buntzen Lake. These three lakes are more regularly stocked so your chance of success is much bigger. Buntzen Lake was just stocked last week with 1,500 fish. If you hike along the eastern side of the lake, there are many quiet, productive spots.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=170

Both Lafarge and Como Lakes have excellent shore access but they can be quite busy. If I were to choose between the two, then Como Lake would be a better choice as it seems to receive less fishing pressure.

These small urban lakes also tend to get crowded and fished out fast, so you have to go soon after they've been stocked.  The fish in them tend to be smaller and taste like mud.

I prefer the bigger remote lakes, where the fish have time to grow and gorge on some natural food, not the crap they feed them at the hatchery.

Nutterbug

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »

BTW, Rod, I'm surprised you didn't mention Sasamat among the other Coquitlam area lakes.  It's the most suitable large-ish lake that produces decent sized clean tasting fish for those without a boat, since there is a convenient floating bridge with two large swimming decks that you can fish from.  No need to worry about park hours nor go on a long hike either.

And Whonnock's also pretty easy from shore if you're there at the right times and use the right method.

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:40:41 PM »

Another vote for Whonnock  ;D

poper

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »

Mike lake has nice dock to fish from and is close to maple ridge

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »

Mike lake has nice dock to fish from and is close to maple ridge

Only enough room for two-three people though.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »

Whonnock!!!! Also Dad bring the boys out to Alouette on Sunday and check out the shore venues, while the derby is on. Your boys will have fun and might just get to tie some flies.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

jaygobes

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:57 AM »

Well, thanks for the replies everyone…we tried our luck at Rolley last night…NOTHING!  Mind you…I have no clue what I was doing.  Tried to fish from shore with a bobber and a piece of deli shrimp…got a nibble one time, but that was about it.  Guess I have to learn what to do first…oh well, the boys and I had a great time.  We will try Whonnock next…what should we use?  Remember, I am a complete newbie to fishing, so please if you are going to give some hints…make them simple to understand LOL!

Thanks…I appreciate any hints/tips I can get.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »

Worms allways work and PowerBait is popular on these lakes as well.

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:22:53 AM »

Well, thanks for the replies everyone…we tried our luck at Rolley last night…NOTHING!  Mind you…I have no clue what I was doing.  Tried to fish from shore with a bobber and a piece of deli shrimp…got a nibble one time, but that was about it.  Guess I have to learn what to do first…oh well, the boys and I had a great time.  We will try Whonnock next…what should we use?  Remember, I am a complete newbie to fishing, so please if you are going to give some hints…make them simple to understand LOL!

Thanks…I appreciate any hints/tips I can get.

Try varying the depth that you dangle your bait if your not getting any action

Nutterbug

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »

Try a couple of hours after first light, and last light.

Midday, especially when sunny, you're likely to get skunked.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:10:36 PM »

Try a couple of hours after first light, and last light.

Midday, especially when sunny, you're likely to get skunked.

Not really. If the sun comes out it could produce a nice hatch of chironomids and the chironomid fishing can be fantastic.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Nutterbug

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »

Not really. If the sun comes out it could produce a nice hatch of chironomids and the chironomid fishing can be fantastic.....

Hence my suggestion to try a couple of hours after first light, when the sun has warmed up the water just enough to get all the fish and bugs moving again.

They do shy away from excess heat and sunlight, from what I gather though.