Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OUR RIVER SYSTEMS AND THE GOVERNMENT  (Read 3306 times)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
OUR RIVER SYSTEMS AND THE GOVERNMENT
« on: November 25, 2006, 03:15:10 PM »

QUESTION !

DO U GUYS THINK THAT WITH ALL OF THE VOLUNTEER WORK AND DONATIONS DONE BY THE PUBLIC TOWARDS OUR RIVERS, THROWS OFF THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AS THEY CUT BACK THE FUNDS ?

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
Re: OUR RIVER SYSTEMS AND THE GOVERNMENT
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »

IM SURE THEY GIVE THEM SELVES A GREAT CHRISTMAS BONUS  >:(

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 06:16:39 PM »

WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE GOVERNMENTS FAULT...WHY DON'T YOU TRY AND  DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT INSTEAD OF EXPECTING THE GOVERNMENT TO DO IT FOR YOU???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 08:21:15 PM by Xgolfman »

weizen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:13:52 PM »

Well this question is a bit of a loaded gun, here is my thoughts:

Governments are pretty much from my experience reactive as opposed to proactive.  Meaning they wait for a problem, then react to it.

I've worked in 3 different levels of government, and the reality is that for the most part they deal with issues that have the spotlight.  They try to be proactive and will put a good spin on things, but in reality they tend to deal with issues instead of preventing them.

Based on my experience,  if an issue of the day (River systems, welfare, social housing, infrastructure, fiscal policy, you name it) is for the most part taking care of itself, the government will spend less time, energy and money dealing with it.  So from this perspective the volunteer work, while great for our systems, this work will most likely delay government intervention (From my experiences, and in my opinion).  The longer it is not a pressing issue, the longer the government does nothing.  It's the age old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease right?

I'm not proposing people stop volunteering and giving to good causes (Whatever the issue or cause is), however if that volunteering, and or cash donations is done and then not followed up by any noise, it will undoubtedly delay government actions.

What will help bring governments back to the table is NOISE (Petitions, letters, media exposure, etc.....)  Remember they REACT to crisis's and issues.  If it's not in the spotlight, chances are it won't be brought to the table.

To sum up my thoughts, it looks like this:

Volunteer work/Donations with Noise = Govt Action
Volunteer work/Donations without noise = Govt Delays

Just my thoughts, agree or not there they are.  What do you think?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:18:25 PM »

From my experience, I too agree that governments tend to be reactive rather than proactive.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »

I have also worked for several levels of government and have a Master's degree in Urban Planning.  Speaking for the way things are in the US, local government is often reactive because of politics.  If you can get to an elected official, that person will put the heat on local departments to do the work in order to get re-elected.  From my experience, state governments try to be pro active, but do not have funds to be so.  For example, when you have 5 roads with fatalities and 5 roads with close calls, and only so much money, which road are you going to fix first?  The one with the fatality.  You'd like to fix everything, but you can't afford to. 

One thing you all can do as volunteers is try to sum up the amount of money your volunteer work is worth.  Then approach the governmental entity and try to use your money as some form of "match" for more actual money.  Governments are often responsive to getting a bigger bang for the buck. 

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »

WHY DON'T YOU TRY AND  DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT INSTEAD OF EXPECTING THE GOVERNMENT TO DO IT FOR YOU???

^ SORRY IM NOT A MILLIONAIRE  >:(

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 11:32:59 AM »

dude, read my post again.  I did not say that you need to come up with actual cash!!.  What I did say was that your work was worth a certain amount of money in man hours.  For example, if you have 100 people volunteering 5 hours of work each, that's 500 man-hours of work.  Multiply 500 by how ever much a laborer would make, let's say it's worth $15.00 an hour.  That means that 500 x 15 is $7,500 worth of work that the government doesn't have to pay for. 

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 01:45:18 PM »

"One thing you all can do as volunteers is try to sum up the amount of money your volunteer work is worth.  Then approach the governmental entity and try to use your money as some form of "match" for more actual money.  Governments are often responsive to getting a bigger bang for the buck. "

Exactly...Do something yourself....get off your butt and stop complaining..VOLUNTEER!!!!..

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 10:13:25 AM »

IM THINKING BIKINI CAR WASH NEXT SUMMER, I HAVE A FEW HOT GIRLIES THAT WOULD VOLUNTEER  ;D

weizen

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »

IM THINKING BIKINI CAR WASH NEXT SUMMER, I HAVE A FEW HOT GIRLIES THAT WOULD VOLUNTEER  ;D

Be sure to invite the media, now that would generate some good 'noise'

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »

I HAVE FRIENDS IN THE MEDIA !

johnny

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 12:47:44 PM »

I HAVE FRIENDS IN THE MEDIA !
Just don't yell all the time when they're around like you do here though... it'd be rather annoying.

:P
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 01:16:28 PM »

I'LL KEEP THAT IN MIND, BUT IM NOT MAKING NE PROMISES !

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 08:11:31 PM »

what if I don't bring my car, can I just get a wash ;D ;D ;D