Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing pics  (Read 5026 times)

salmonrook

Fishing pics
« on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »

Hooked a couple cohos today and of course they were wild,but wanted to take a quick pic before i released them but couldnt figure out the logistics.Had help on the bank landing the first fish a beauty wild doe ,but couldnt get the 'smart'phone ready in time .Just wondering how people get a shot of yourself with fish in hand if you are by yourself.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing pics
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »

Difficult to do photos by yourself with a Smartphone (also risking dropping it in the water). This is how I do mine:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/photography/taking_your_own_hero_shots.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/photography/index.html

salmonrook

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »

Thanks Rodney
 Didnt realize you had some articles on it.
Some great info !

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:13:19 AM »

also, you can use the video mode from your phone or camera, record video of you holding the fish, and you can take screen captures from the video on the phone or once its on you're PC.  saves you from fighting with your phone by yourself. and saves the fish a bunch of stress when  your trying to release it safely

joshhowat

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »

also, you can use the video mode from your phone or camera, record video of you holding the fish, and you can take screen captures from the video on the phone or once its on you're PC.  saves you from fighting with your phone by yourself. and saves the fish a bunch of stress when  your trying to release it safely

X2
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:52:09 AM »

I will be the dissenting voice here, and get back on my soapbox to say that, if you are angling by yourself, is generally inappropriate to take pictures of fish that you intend to release . Sure, there are exceptions...you have a large net or cradle and can suspend the fish boatside in the water, or you have a camera on the shore with a remote shutter and can lift the fish out of the water for a quick remote pic. And yes, some aware anglers can take their own hero shots with minimal fumbling and no harm to the fish 

However, most selfies I see are of wild fish lying on the shore, or half in/half out of the water, while the angler artfully poses it with his rod, retreives the camera from his pocket gets the right angle, takes the pic, returns the camera to the pocket, then releases the fish.

For what? Bragging rights? Your ego?...  Keep the fish in the water, and release it asap. Record the image in your memory, not a chip.               

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:37 PM »

I tell the fish to lie quietly on shore until I get the camera ready. If it doesn't cooperate, I give it a light bonk in the head, not hard enough to kill it, but just enough to calm the fish down for the photo op.

Once the picture is taken, I revive the fish and release it.
You should see the expression of gratitude when they wake up and realized they are still alive!

:)

bcguy

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

I tell the fish to lie quietly on shore until I get the camera ready. If it doesn't cooperate, I give it a light bonk in the head, not hard enough to kill it, but just enough to calm the fish down for the photo op.

Once the picture is taken, I revive the fish and release it.
You should see the expression of gratitude when they wake up and realized they are still alive!

:)

::)
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »

A couple good thumps on the head with a rock keeps them quiet enough to take a picture with a phone camera. It works well on people as well... and especially those at pools crowded with anglers. Like Milo says, those fishermen are especially happy if they wake up alive.

To take good pictures takes some prior planning BEFORE going fishing. And, no harm is done to the fish.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

If you are serious about your fishing photos and are concerned about the well-being of the fish, get yourself a waterproof camera and take pictures of the fish underwater.
Why include yourself in the shot if you are alone?. It's about the fish and the memory of it - not about YOU.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »

It's about the fish and the memory of it - not about YOU.

Ummm...... it's ALWAYS all about me.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

If you actually DO want a good picture of a catch and release then you will have to bring a net that doesn't scrape the scales off fish. Bring a miniture tripod that you can fasten to your camera and hang it around your neck. Then, when the opportunity presents itself you can put the camera on a timer and take your shot.

fishtruck

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »

The other alternative is for you to get a GOPRO and record everything handsfree

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »

...or one could just, y'kno, fish with a buddy or ask someone to take a picture ::)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »

A waterproof camera also helps because you won't have to worry about it getting wet and if it gets dirty, you can also wash it.