Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reddington waders  (Read 5169 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: reddington waders
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »

Where did you get the Frog Toogs from? And how about the Reddingtons?

Any opinion on Corker boots? I like that you can swap out different soles and replace worn ones.

I got the Frogg Toggs down in the states. As I said... most of the shops in Canada have jacked up the prices huge, from $129 (what they should be) to almost $180  :o IMO they are very worth the $129, but I wouldn't pay more for them. Great starter wader that will go through lots of abuse.

The Reddington's I got at wholesale in Langlely. They came out to just over $300 I believe. They have already been beaten pretty good, but are holding up well to my standards. No leaks, fit nice, easy to move in.

Korker boots rock. I use to run the redside's. They lasted probably 200 trips. To be honest though, they were pretty ratted up after around 80-100 trips, but I still used them because they didn't fall apart. The Red side's are prone to wearing through on the mesh that is on the inside of the foot. I haven't tried any of their more expensive models, but I was going to go with the Chrome boots this summer until I found a cheaper pair of boots I liked.

What I would do is find an old pair of leather wading boots, they don't look the greatest by today's standards (kind of looks like you're wearing dress shoes), but they work! Picked a couple up this summer, and the things will never die. I find most boots on the market today are made to break down quickly. The old Hodgman canvas boots aren't bad either, just very much lack support. Most of these older leather boots you can find for around $50 or less. Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hodgman-Classic-Brown-Leather-Felt-Sole-Fishing-Boots-US-Mens-12-Fast-Shipping-/290985210525
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:28:38 AM by Every Day »

zap brannigan

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 11:26:44 AM »

i got my frogg toggs directly from their site the pilot waders really good quality at a good price they also have good pockets up front that are water resistant (not waterproof), also fisheusa.com has a good selection, army and navy carry a pair of canyons for twice the price you get them online for, thats their base model waders

the girlfriend got a set of last years canyons for 59 bucks off their site and they've been awesome with all the bushwacking and beating they've had.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »

Thanks guys great info! I'll probably try to squeeze one last steelhead season out of my boots + waders + jacket as I just dropped a lot of $ on a speyrod/reel/line and I still have to pay for a lesson :o Plus Xmas is around the corner. Next year I think it'll be time to invest in some new gear.

While we're on the topic does anyone have a good bang for your buck Gortex wading jacket they can reccomend? I have the Cabela's whatever gortex wading jacket. I think it's the dry plus. Got on sale for $99 and it's been pretty good. Had for 4ish years. Complaints would be nylon is a bit cheap/thin and now it's pretty much impossible to restore the water repellant finish even if washing with Nikwax or whatever. So the gortex membrane keeps me dry but the outer nylon gets saturated. Also the outer pockets only fold over an inch or less so if you have something bulkyish in the pocket it won't close properly and water gets in.

My g/f has the Cabela's Guide Wear wading jacket and it's awesome. Think she got in on sale last winter for $180ish (Tulalip). Outer nylon is WAY thicker than my jacket and the other pockets have a big flaps that fold way over and keep rain out of the pockets. We were at the Tulalip Cabela's a few days ago and the new gen of this guide jacket seems to have gone downhill. Nylon seems thinner and the flap on the outside pockets have less coverage. Plus they were $240 I think reg $270. If they came way down in price I might consider one but by then I'll likely be all XS and XXL ??? $250ish would be the upepr end of my price range. I'm sure Simms jackets and waders are great but can't justify the $ at this stage in my life.