Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reddington waders  (Read 5171 times)

paulj

reddington waders
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

Hi guys,

My current waders are leaking and have a $ 300 gift card to spend at the Wholesalesports in Langley. 

They only carry reddington and bare brands which appear to be decent.   Unfortunately they don't carry Simms.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestion in regards to reddington breathable waders. there isn't much review on the net.
thanks!

FishMachine

Re: reddington waders
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

My buddy have the zipper Reddinton and he is not that happy with them with leaks popping up.

I heard they are looking to carry Simms soon. You might want to call them and ask.
My next wader will probably be Simms after so so performance from my Bare.

FM.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »

I have the base model Reddington breathables that I bought from Fred's in Abby for $100.

They are good waders for the price.
Good fit and they have gravel guards that clip onto your laces to keep them in place.

I haven't put a lot of time into them but they have been good so far.

I used Bare waders for several years until I snagged them on some barbed wire.
They have been repaired and are my backup waders.

They were ok as well but I only use my waders 10 or so times a year and don't do much bush-wacking.

blackskull

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »

I have the non-zip sonic welded version.  No issues.  This will be my second full season using them.  No leaks yet.

My previous pair were Simms Freestone before they moved the seams to the centre.  This pair lasted 2 seasons.  Second season saw very minor leaks du to pinholes.  It was so minor, it didn't bother me much.  Third season, they started to leak bad.  I used the alcohol spray to look for leaks and sealed all the pinholes I found with aquaseal, but they were still leaking very badly.  I think one of the seam seals started to fail causing the major leak.

paulj

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »

Thanks for all the comments.

I find that my waders only last about a year max. until they start leaking by the neoprene foot area and I do about 20 outings per year.
Is this normal or should my waders last longer?  I guess I'll have to get used to buying a new pair every year or two...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »

Your waders should last longer.

I put around 500 trips on my Frogg Toggs without any foot issues - seams finally let go.

The Redington Sonic Pros I have now are at around 60 trips. No problems yet, solid waders. Love the fit on them (no rubbing while walking) and they feel solid. Got the welded seams because I butcher my waders in the salt a lot. No problems with them yet even in salt water, I'd recommend them at this point.

If you're having lots of waders fail in the foot area, look into getting new/better boots. Ratty boots will chew through the waders very easily. Also look into gravel guards if you waders don't have them built in, no gravel guards means gravel in the boots which is like sandpaper on them = makes the seams on the neoprene wear off faster.

zap brannigan

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »

Frogg toggle are great, my fishing buddy had the reddingtons he's pretty happy with them been beating them up since last fall and their still holding up.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »

I have a pair of the Sonic Pros that I use for flyfishing.  So far no problems.  The fit is nice and comfortable with articulated knees and footies.  I think the key is to find the proper fit.  Loose but not too loose.  When you bend and crouch down, is there excessive binding in any areas?  When you walk is there too much loose fabric chafing?  Also when you take your waders off, do you pull them down to your knees or do you step on footies and pull on them (stressing the seams).  Improper fit and poor treatment leads to the majority of the leakage issues.  If you do somehow get a lemon, you should know within a year and the warranty will cover that.  All breathable waders will break down and leak eventually.  Get them fitted properly and take care of them and you will find that they will last you a long time.

sagerod

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »

they leak, wait for the simms. :-\

brysonk

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:43 PM »

I went through 4 pairs of waders in two years including bare neo's and bare zipper fronts and they all leaked. Finally ponied up and bought a pair of simms g4's. Have been using them hard for 3 years and have yet to have any problems. put a pair on and you'll see and feel the difference quality makes. will save you money in the long run.

sagerod

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »

i have a set too they are worth it

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »

I bought a pair of the reddington CPX waders for 300$+. They lasted me one week, and then were pooched. I have pictures to prove it. They broke throught the inside seems and the booties wore through wearing a brand new pair of simms freestone boots.

Im never switching from simms.
The Bigger The Better!

sumasriver

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

Just bought a pair of the zippered Reddingtons today.

I have read good reviews online.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »

my reddington breathable's lasted almost 2 years before they where stolen from my truck along with a good percentage of my gear in july. i liked them, good fit, comfortable, warm enough in the winter, and cool enough in the summer, and only managed one leak, but was easily fixed, I'm planning on getting another pair for steelhead season.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »

Your waders should last longer.

I put around 500 trips on my Frogg Toggs without any foot issues - seams finally let go.

The Redington Sonic Pros I have now are at around 60 trips. No problems yet, solid waders. Love the fit on them (no rubbing while walking) and they feel solid. Got the welded seams because I butcher my waders in the salt a lot. No problems with them yet even in salt water, I'd recommend them at this point.

If you're having lots of waders fail in the foot area, look into getting new/better boots. Ratty boots will chew through the waders very easily. Also look into gravel guards if you waders don't have them built in, no gravel guards means gravel in the boots which is like sandpaper on them = makes the seams on the neoprene wear off faster.

Where did you get the Frog Toogs from? And how about the Reddingtons? I'm looking around for new waders and boots. I've have the cheapy Cabela's Dry Plus breathables but hey, NO complaints I've had them for 4 years and fished them hard year round. They are starting to leak a bit but it's more from rips/holes I've patched that may be finally letting go, or a few little hooks pokes etc. Boots are also toally bagged they are the boots that match the waders...the Dry Plus I think. Gotr the boots and waders for $180 I think so hard to beat that. Just looking to get something a little better this time around, would also be nice to have waders with a pockets/pouch on the front.

Any opinion on Corker boots? I like that you can swap out different soles and replace worn ones.

My girlfriend has Frog Togg waders from Wholesale Sports in Burlington (Langely didn't carry them) and they were cheap like 125-150 bucks and she has had zero issues with them.

I'm sure Simms etc are awesome but I'm not looking to drop that kind of $ on waders and boots.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:50:15 AM by Spawn Sack »