Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preferred drift set-up for steelhead  (Read 7141 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Preferred drift set-up for steelhead
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »

I've heard two schools of thought regarding short floating.  Some say get it down deep along the bottom and some say keep it short and let the fish come up, I've tried both.

you don't want to dredge your presentation...but you do have to adjust your float depending on the depth of the water and obstacles beneath it...this is what's referred to as depth gauging....rule of thumb, you want your bait to hover above the fish as it drifts on by.

As for your set up...do it exactly the way you had it set up for coho...if you know how to read the water...then you're doing nothing wrong...it all comes down to luck.

norton

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »

the most important thing with steelhead fishing is to know where they will be lying. look down the river and visualize where that fish is going to travel. look for the easiest and savest way for the fish to make its way up the river. steelhead wont lay in boily water, look for water that is even flowing. watch your float, if its straight up and down its not touching bottom  if the top of your float is pointing down river , your probably dragging bottom. i usually place split shot around 4 in. apart depending on water clarity. u can use pencil lead when the water is more coloured also.

norton

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 10:10:21 PM »

also 10 lb test leader is all  you need , just check it to make sure its not frayed.