Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preferred drift set-up for steelhead  (Read 7140 times)

RG

Preferred drift set-up for steelhead
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:34 PM »

I was just curious about everybody's preferred drift set up for steelhead?  This is my second season and after roughly 10 outings last year and two this year I have yet to catch a steelie.  So, I'm beginning to question everything including my drift set up, perhaps there's a better way that could increase my chances, or it's simply something else, in any event I'm still curious about other set ups.  I've been using a three-way swivel with a 10-15lb mono leader roughly 18 inches.  I attach a pencil lead weight to the bottom 'o' of the three-way swivel.  It's a pretty simple method that has yet to produce for me so I am open to suggestions.   If you're wondering what I use for bait I have used all the usual suspects.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Preferred drift set-up for steelhead
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:12:27 PM »

Are you using a float?  My preferred set up is -----15lbs mainline----(25g DNE float)--------(buckshot)-----(buckshot)-----(buckshot)----(buckshot)-----(ordinary black barrel swivel)---12-20" of 10lbs Maxima Ultragreen leader-------(whatever bait im using... pink worm, roe, gooeybob, spin'n'glow)(owner SSW cutting point #4-1).

Don't worry too much about what you're using as bait (incl. plastics), go small when the water is and clear and big when the water is dirty.  Orange, red, pink are all proven colours.  Success steelhead fishing is strongly correlated to how much new water you cover in a day, so don't waste time changing up baits all the time when you could be covering new water.  I'd have confidence sticking with a small gooeybob when visibility is over 3' and a 6" hot pink rubber worm when or a spinner fished under a float when visibility is under 3 feet.  The guys who do well for steelhead always have their line in the water covering new water.  This means tying up a half dozen leaders the night before and having them on hand so no time is wasted if you snag up and loose your leader.  Fish water moving walking speed between 2 and 6 feet deep with rocks bigger than softballs on the bottom.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:23:10 PM by Matt »

RG

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

HAh, yeah I use a float.  Perhaps I'll give the split shot method a go.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »

HAh, yeah I use a float.  Perhaps I'll give the split shot method a go.

Honestly, in most circumstances pencil lead will work just as well, it doesn't matter much.  Big split shot (close to 10mm in diameter) is hard to find.  Reading and covering water should be your initial focus, not what type of lead your using.  Instead of chasing reports trying to find awesome steelhead fishing, pick a couple runs on a single river and fish the crap out of them whenever you can, in all water conditions, you'll learn more this way.  Learn these pieces of water well, memorize each spot that may hold fish and make sure to cover them each time you get out.  I LOVE exploring new water, but I catch more fish fishing water I know intimately.  By the time a hot report is out, the shows already over, and the location reported on will usually be crowded with people chasing reports.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:29:44 PM by Matt »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »

The split shot is not your problem just keep the tackle light and make sure you have good knots.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »

It sounds like your set up is fine. Maybe keep that leader no heavier than 10# test - you really don't need anything heavier.
Are you using mono for main? Braid is overkill when drifting for steelhead, IMO. Especially on smaller flows like the Vedder or Chehalis.

I personally don't like the three way swivel, but that's no biggie.

I think your 'problem' is in this sentence: " If you're wondering what I use for bait I have used all the usual suspects."

Think out of the box, i.e. white worm instead of pink worm; gooey bob instead of roe; purple single egg instead of orange...you get the idea.
Surprise the fish with something they haven't seen that day. ;)

floatfisher

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »

Steelhead in my mind are easy to get to bite. It's the effectiveness of covering water that is most anglers problems. What sort of water are you fishing?
Prawns from a frozen prawn ring cured to add some color or just plain are a good fail safe bait as they are effective all around as are egg sacks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:53:15 PM by floatfisher »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »

Are you using a float?  My preferred set up is -----15lbs mainline----(25g DNE float)--------(buckshot)-----(buckshot)-----(buckshot)----(buckshot)-----(ordinary black barrel swivel)---12-20" of 10lbs Maxima Ultragreen leader-------(whatever bait im using... pink worm, roe, gooeybob, spin'n'glow)(owner SSW cutting point #4-1).

Don't worry too much about what you're using as bait (incl. plastics), go small when the water is and clear and big when the water is dirty.  Orange, red, pink are all proven colours.  Success steelhead fishing is strongly correlated to how much new water you cover in a day, so don't waste time changing up baits all the time when you could be covering new water.  I'd have confidence sticking with a small gooeybob when visibility is over 3' and a 6" hot pink rubber worm when or a spinner fished under a float when visibility is under 3 feet.  The guys who do well for steelhead always have their line in the water covering new water.  This means tying up a half dozen leaders the night before and having them on hand so no time is wasted if you snag up and loose your leader.  Fish water moving walking speed between 2 and 6 feet deep with rocks bigger than softballs on the bottom.

Good advice

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

My favourite drift set up is a floating line with an indicator, 12lb ultragreen leader with 8 lb tippet and a purple or pink weighted egg sucking bunny leech for coloured water and a single egg or roe fly for really clear water.
Not all those who wander are lost

drh

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

Shortfloating is also key,cause if your dredging the bottom your spooking the the fish,also take note of floatfishers advice and you'll soon be into steel

RG

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

I've heard two schools of thought regarding short floating.  Some say get it down deep along the bottom and some say keep it short and let the fish come up, I've tried both.

James

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »

My favourite drift set up is a floating line with an indicator, 12lb ultragreen leader with 8 lb tippet and a purple or pink weighted egg sucking bunny leech for coloured water and a single egg or roe fly for really clear water.

I was advise to fish this set-up by someone at M&Y shop .... I should have taken the advice , because I have not had any takers with my set-up .

How much is you ESL weighted ? ... I would think that with a full floating line and indicator it would not get down in the water deep enough ... ?

I am using a Ambush TT 290 grain 20' head with a super extra fast sinking 10' airflo polyleader ... 3-4feet of 10lb ultragreen leader and various flies . Not hook ups for me this season . I am 0/3 :(

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

Short floating prawn/worm tipped jigs on a CP.  Do it...

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »

I was advise to fish this set-up by someone at M&Y shop .... I should have taken the advice , because I have not had any takers with my set-up .

How much is you ESL weighted ? ... I would think that with a full floating line and indicator it would not get down in the water deep enough ... ?

I am using a Ambush TT 290 grain 20' head with a super extra fast sinking 10' airflo polyleader ... 3-4feet of 10lb ultragreen leader and various flies . Not hook ups for me this season . I am 0/3 :(

It is really going to depend on the water you are fishing.  I have been fishing a few times this season and have not had any hook up either, but I have been swinging a lot more than I usually do in the winter because it was so mild.  Now that the cold weather has set in the fish are not going to chase much at all.

When I am drifting flies it is usually in 2 - 5 feet of water over cobble.  The fly itself is tied with 3/16 bar bells and that is usually enough when under 3 feet.  I then add a small split shot if the water is deeper than 3 feet and increase the number or size of the shot with the depth.  If the fly is hitting bottom I will shorten the indicator by 6".  I have fished it in deeper slower runs and pools often with a tiny egg pattern or a stone fly.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:10:04 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

James

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »

Thanks .. that helped me visualize it better . :)