Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoker?  (Read 5780 times)

slyrod

Smoker?
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »

Hey everyone.  I was looking to get a smoker this year (ino its a bit late).  Was just wondering what your guy's opinions are on the types out there.  I have seen the little and big chief everywhere and was wondering if any of you users like it.  Or is it worth the money to get a higher end like the Bradley.  Im not going to be doing a whole lot of smoking, maybe in the near future though.
Thanks

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Smoker?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »

Princess Auto has a couple of models. They look well build and are affordable.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »

I would get either the Little or Big Chief if you're not going to smoke alot. They both do the job just fine.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:35:11 PM »

I would get either the Little or Big Chief if you're not going to smoke alot. They both do the job just fine.
For once we agree. ;D ;D

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:42:49 PM »

slyrod.... go down to Bradley smokers warehouse and ask if they got any scratch and dent models, they usually do. save some $$$ there new warehouse is on river road in delta !

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

I have a little chief. Although it gets a bit hotter than I like, that is quite easy to deal with either by leaving the lid slightly off or going as far as doing the cardboard box mod to raise the racks way up. Either way, it does work extremely easily out of the box and will do salmon nicely.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

mzmann

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »

All depends on personal preference really......the little/big chief works well enough for basic smoking but yes some do have problems with maintaining correct temps, over/under heating and such...but good cost as well.

the bradley you are not looking at much for problems really and especially if you go with the digital bradley as it is just a "Set and forget" type smoker and you dont have to watch it all the time temp/burning wise. Much more options, better temp consistency, better temp controls, higher and lower temps able to be maintained....but the cost is much higher and with bradley smokers you have to use their pucks but there is TONS of flavors.

As someone above mentioned.....also would depend on how much smoking you are planning on doing......or what kind of budget you have, lol.
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »

I bought the 4 Rack Digital Bradley and I love it.  Found her on sale for $300 at Cambodian Tire, down from $425.  If you order from Cabelas in the states it costs $375 shipped to your door.  10x better than the big chief IMO.  Anybody wanna buy a Big Chief let me know...

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »

I have owned both the Little Chief and now a Bradley.

The Chief is a great little smoker for what it is but a Bradley is much more because you can adjust the heat or even cold smoke with an adaptor.
During cold weather it is a nice feature to be able to turn the heat up.
Not to mention the ability to cook your meat after you smoke it in there.
Heck the Pork Chops are worth buying one for alone. ;D

JPW

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 02:09:21 AM »

I've been very interested in the digital Bradley. Is it truly "set and forget"? Or does the quality suffer if you don't keep a close eye on things?

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »

I have a Bradley and its worth every penny!  Just load enough wood pucks into the feeder and you're set.

JPW

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »

I have a Bradley and its worth every penny!  Just load enough wood pucks into the feeder and you're set.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback, I know what I'm getting for Christmas :).

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 06:29:27 AM »

If your getting a Bradley - get another set of racks (flip them over and set them ontop the other) to double your rack space. I like mine.  Got a great deal off Craigs list. ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

top fuel

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »

what does a didgetal bradly cost.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »

Its $499 regular price.  But Canadian Tire puts them on for ~$350 ish every now and again.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/Smokers/PRD~0851780P/Bradley+Digital+Smoker.jsp?locale=en

Cabelas has the non digital on for $239 with $5 shipping (to a US address, I use Hagens of Blaine whom also charge $5 to hold the package for you).  They also sell Cabelas brand pucks that are less expensive than the Bradley ones.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:13:48 AM by Damien »