Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leader  (Read 3437 times)

devon42

leader
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:43:45 PM »

i just bought some 12 lb leader for the vedder. and when i was tying my hooks it looked like it was damaged and it looked kinda frayed at some points and that day i lost like 6 hooks and my dad also lost all of his and we used the same leader I'm wondering if it was the line that was probably no good or is 12 lb to small.. i lost 2 coho close to the beach as well as a small spring probably around 10-15 pounds.. so i wasn't too happy

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: leader
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

I usually use 8 or 10lbs Maxima Ultragreen leader for coho.  Are you moistening the knots before tightening?  Depends on the rod too- with a 6wt flyrod, you could probably get away with 6lbs leader, but on a heavy drift rod, you might need 12lbs+

minsyoo

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »

i use a 12lb leader myself, and i havent felt that it's too light..

i agree with matt as far as moistening knots goes.. what kind of rod are you using?

devon42

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:52:15 PM »

i have a 10'6 medium action drift rod. and no to the knots.. but ive never had problems with my leader before
 it was the first time i bought this type of leader though, maxima perfextion i think it was called.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:02 PM »

i have a 10'6 medium action drift rod. and no to the knots.. but ive never had problems with my leader before
 it was the first time i bought this type of leader though, maxima perfextion i think it was called.

I used that stuff once and then got rid of it... too brittle.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »

I've found Maxima Ultragreen to be the best all round leader.  Its Bruce Willis-tough as well.

aquaholic

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

Crystal clear water i use 8-10 pound fluorocarbon, Everything else nothing bigger than 10 pound ultragreen

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »

i just bought some 12 lb leader for the vedder. and when i was tying my hooks it looked like it was damaged and it looked kinda frayed at some points and that day i lost like 6 hooks and my dad also lost all of his and we used the same leader I'm wondering if it was the line that was probably no good or is 12 lb to small.. i lost 2 coho close to the beach as well as a small spring probably around 10-15 pounds.. so i wasn't too happy

You could have run into a bad spool of line. If the line is frayed you should return it.
12 lb is more than enough for coho. Probably too heavy right now.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »

Maxima flourocarbon line is very brittle and a coho will break you off with all the quick runs/direction changes and jumping.  I will never use that stuff again. 

kodiak

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »

I think perfextion is a mono line. I too have found floro lines to be brittle, i also found it also frayed at the knot even with lubrication. I am sticking to 10lb maxima ultra-green and I also really like Berkley Big Game and really like it as well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »

maxima perfection is their limp clear mono line which was designed for putting on spinning reels to eliminate twisting which you get with stiffer lines. I have used it when it first came out and it was garbage. on and off the reel within the same trip  >:( I bought some P-line flouroclear line for leader line to try out and its very good. its a copolymer line coated with flourocarbon so its invisible. I bought 12lb so i can use it for steely fly swinging, 12lb is the size of 8lb ultragreen. Its very strong so much so that when i try to break off big springs my main line has been the one snapping  >:( got new main line on now though and bumped up to 20lb cause its nicer on the pin  ;D

I will be buying some of this line for fishing lakes. probably some 10 or 8lb to use for long leaders before adding my 4lb(flouro) tippet

Where did you buy the damaged line at ?? if its a reputable store they should have no problem exchanging it for you

for example i bought some tippet material at M&Y and it was for sure defective because little fish at Lafarge lake were snapping me off constantly so i took it back and they gave me a new spool (i could have chose another line or store credit also) and the new spool worked just fine. 
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mr.p

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:44:59 PM »

I use Maxima flourcarbon and although I too have noticed strength issues, I have yet to find anything better. When I can't get my hands on the Maxima, I'll use P-Line CFX. 
I fish 6-12# for salmon/steel. 

I fish flouro in all fresh water unless visiblity is less than 1ft.  I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference but it definately can't hurt and it gives me that extra confidence.  Plus I'd rather hook fish and have them break off than not get any action at all.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

aquaholic

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:47:05 PM »

P-Line Fluoroclear is a co polymer line with a fluorocarbon coating, this way you get great knott strength and still get the fluorocarbon characteristics to it.

I use the 8 pound in this line and handles large,energetic fish,never had a single issue with P-Line Fluoroclear either it be steelhead or salmon 

I tried the maxima fluorocarbon and thought it was my smelly socks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:50:41 PM by aquaholic »

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »

I have used the maxima florocarbon and found knot strength was crap regardless of what knot was tied, i then tried some Seaguar floro and it has been excellent as long as you ensure your knots are tied correctly, very stiff but no problems and much thinner than maxima ultragreen or even berkley trilene for same lb rating.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »

8-10 lb seagaur flouro......other guys on the river heat me out for using 8 or 10lb test leader but I generally ignore them.....

Say no to horsing fish in!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567