Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Line for my Bait Caster  (Read 4431 times)

paulbish

Line for my Bait Caster
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

Hi looking for some experienced advise. Recently bought a Bait caster for shore fishing on the Vedder. What type and weight line should I fill it with?

skunked

Re: Line for my Bait Caster
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »

i would put 15# maxima could go less depends what u are targeting on the vedder 15# u should be able to bring anything in from the vedder without to many issues

ejeffrey

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »

I use 12# Maxima.

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:05 PM »

Can I use Backing Line (meant for fly reels) in my bait caster instead of a Braided line?
They look very similar but I'm not sure if they're different?

Thx.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

floatfishin

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »

Just load up some heavier mono for backing. It's only backing so cheap stuff works great. Braid will slip on your reel if you use it for backing and mess yur day up. In Ont I used cheap 20lb mono for backing, and tied braid to the backing (Bass fishing though) Load up 20-50 yrds of cheap heavy mono and there is your bcking.

Float.

obie1fish

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

Mainline? I've used Maxima for years, but I'm preferring 12 - 15 lb Trilene Big Game these past few seasons. In my experience it lasts longer than Maxima, which has recently tended to get old pretty quick after using several spools of line of various tests (4 - 15 lb). I love it as leader material when I'm not using fluorocarbon.

Backing? Whatever works. If you use braided line, be sure to tape it to the spool or take other measures to avoid slippage. Be sure to use a good connecting knot, too- I seem to do well with an improved Albright, but usually use a double uni-knot with very steady results when the diameters are similar (there are some great knots in this website. Check it out!) Also, be sure to tighten your knot as much as possible before trimming it as close as you dare. That way you won't have the tag ends catching your casts nor slipping and parting when you get that big honker on. That tends to happen to me when I get lazy and let my spool get cut back a little too much from fishing heavily. The little details can sometimes help avoid issues that are a PITA (pain-in-the-my friend).

Good Luck out there!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »

No.  Backing is too flexible for one and isn't that strong/diameter to boot.  Line has to have some stiffness so that it springs off the spool and doesn't start wrapping backwards mid-cast.

Can I use Backing Line (meant for fly reels) in my bait caster instead of a Braided line?
They look very similar but I'm not sure if they're different?

Thx.

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »

thanks Matt and skaha for your input on the backing line :)
Much appreciated.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »

Depends what you're fishing for.  the heavier you go, the less limp it is, hence poor casting.  Does anyone in BC fish with anything other than Maxima?  I used to use it a lot, but found that it got stiff and brittle really soon.  Casts great right out of the box, but fades quickly.  It is also a thick diameter line, so it fishes heavier than it is rated.  15# Izorline is great stuff, but not sure you can find it up there.  Ande is also great line.  Both are cheaper than Maxima and IMO fish better. 

Any way you go however, you'll want to change your line at least once a year.  If I'm fishing for a week straight, I'll start out with new line and change once, half way through.  I also use Reel Magic. 

kodiak

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »

I have been using Berkley Big game and quite like it.

mr.p

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »

Maxima is over-rated.  I think part of its popularity is due to the show Sports Fishing BC.  If you watch that regularly you'll notice they mention Maxima about 100 times an episode.  I find Maxima does not maintain its initial qualities.  It fades, stiffens and becomes weak quite quickly.  although I really like the Maxima flourocarbon leader

I like Berkley Big Game.  Recently I picked up an emergency spool of PLine CXX at "On The Run".   It seems pretty good so far.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

FishOn36

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »

Maxima is over-rated.  I think part of its popularity is due to the show Sports Fishing BC.  If you watch that regularly you'll notice they mention Maxima about 100 times an episode.  I find Maxima does not maintain its initial qualities.  It fades, stiffens and becomes weak quite quickly.  although I really like the Maxima flourocarbon leader

I like Berkley Big Game.  Recently I picked up an emergency spool of PLine CXX at "On The Run".   It seems pretty good so far.

I've been using 20lb "P-Line CXX Moss green" line cause the guy who spooled up my new reel @ Army & Navy recommended it over maxima cause it's limper and has a lot less memory. It's been great so far...that and Berkley "Big Game" you can't go wrong with.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

x2 on the Berkley Trilene Big Game.  It lasts a long time and performs well.  Ultragreen, as previously mentioned, does loose it's initial good properties pretty quick, even after the first trip its noticeably different.  It doesn't deteriorate that fast, but I'm already thinking about how nice it would be to have new line on there after a half-dozen trips.  Trilene lasts at least twice as long and is thinner.  I've got a spool of 12lbs Ultragreen and one of 15lbs Big Game, and the 15lbs Big Game is noticeable thinner and more supple.  It also feels slipperier too.

steelhead

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:04:22 AM »

Most of you are correct about the Max ultra grn.   It has a strange feature now that when over stretched ( when your hung up and break it off ) looses its strength .

Never need backing. Fill the reel ,,,but pull off 50-60 yrds and blood knot a new peace once, twice a season.  Most fish found on the Vedder are NOT line shy. I even use HI viz lines and still catch 20-30 steelhead per season.

Rod's suggestion on Izorline one of the best Co-polymer lines available is a great product. The co-polymer lines have very small dia. but super strong and flexable .  Braids are NOT a good option . The mild stretch of a ( 10-15 % mono or co-polyr ) helps you land fish with its shock absorbsion ,,,,braids average 1-3 % stretch ,,,,,bad deal .

So 12-15 lb P-line , Izorline , ,,,stay with good quality anything and you'll be fine

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »

I use braided as backing then about 50ft of Maxima 20lb.  Maxima when new is flexible, unroll easily which makes easy casting.  But over time when it's stored at dry condition the line starts to loose it's flexibility and stiffens up.  If the line sits in reel over a few months by next coho season comes you'll find it stiff and curls making it hard to cast.  Trilene is a bit on the stiff side right from new.  After spooling it up onto reel and let it sit for a few months then use it again since it's already stiff when spooled it does not curl as much as Maxima would and you might not notice it at all when casting.