Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78933 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Rod Clapton and some others interviewed on CBC radio a couple times yesterday plus the story made the local news. I gotta say the proposal to close certain sections of the river popular with bottom bouncers wasn't convincing. They could simply move to some area that's not closed. Neither was his claim the Fraser Sport Fishery was worth $100 million a year to the local economy. A claim he stated at least 2x. That would require 10,000 anglers spend $10,000 within the usual 4 to 6 week opening window. Seems hard to see that happening. Best I recall DFO angling assessments usually found around 3,000 people fishing even when the sockeye run was hot as it was in or 2010.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Rod C. is referring to 100 million dollars annually from all Fraser rec fisheries, not just the 4 to 6 weeks opening for sockeye salmon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

also seems improbable but the question was what is this fishery worth - the chinook fishery - not the entire river.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I wish I had $10,000 a year to spend on fishing. :(

TheLostSockeye

Sockeye heads and guts thrown all over the road on Stevenson road in Chilliwack. Looked like some nice roe to  :'(

Dogbreath

In terms of fishing for Salmon in freshwater the writing has been on the wall for a very long time, as far back as '98/'99 when I first started posting on the net I predicted closures on the Fraser and was called all sorts of nasty names/criticised as an ignoramus but Guess What-today it's closed more often than it's open.

This downhill trend will continue and the future is not just bleak it's black and one day soon-not in my lifetime but certainly in the lifetimes of most posters here-all freshwater fishing for Salmon will end.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

http://www.psc.org/FraserPnl/Status/FRP_Fraser_sockeye_pink_status.pdf

According to this link provided by Rod on the 'Commercials' thread, in the 2nd table provided, the natives actually have taken 112,000 sockeye so far, not the 44600 mentioned earlier in this thread. Wow, all those fish for FSC purpose? And FN think they haven't gotten enough in a low run year unless we have to be out of the water for Chinook? This is what get people so upset that DFO is very unfair to the sporties and FN has no heart to conserve the sockeye fish stock that matters so much to their culture and tradition. Don't they care that they will wipe out the stock if they continue netting them? Why they have to drag down not just the sporties but all the businesses and people depending on the non-threatened Chinook for livelihood just so that they have the justification to stop netting sockeye? What kind of respect they have for the threatened sockeye to take so many of them in such a bad year and think they haven't gotten enough unless all others stop fishing altogether despite it is a Chinook fishery? Why is DFO caving in such ridiculous demand from the FN? Do they work for FN or do they work for Canada?

purple monster

FN have been drift netting all the past week at night, just upstream of the Agassiz bridge.  DFO were called and show up in the afternoon, just before closing time, with a chopper,  looking at their campsite.   How efficient???

All week, all night long. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Sockeye heads and guts thrown all over the road on Stevenson road in Chilliwack. Looked like some nice roe to  :'(

Someone's bait box fell off the truck.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

I only expect sockeye rec openings once every 4 years....2018....2022 etc....if that cycle year collapses then sockeye rec openings will b finished. maybe plan other pursuits during the other three years such as camping..hiking..travelling overseas...or home renos until whites/chum and coho show up in the fall. Maybe dfo can issue c/r licenses (no kill any fish ) at half price to keep people on the water. I meet many anglers every year on the vedder that dont eat fish but love fishing. Perfectly bright healthy fish released back in the water.

santefe

Stewards of the Land..
I think if the salmon stocks disappeared altogether the feds would be happy..

DanL

• Old Timer

Management Measure:  Fishing for salmon is not permitted.
Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead, sturgeon and other non-salmon species in this area remain open.

How the heck does one fish for steelhead without being construed as fishing for salmon?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

http://www.psc.org/FraserPnl/Status/FRP_Fraser_sockeye_pink_status.pdf

According to this link provided by Rod on the 'Commercials' thread, in the 2nd table provided, the natives actually have taken 112,000 sockeye so far, not the 44600 mentioned earlier in this thread. ....

Why is DFO caving in such ridiculous demand from the FN? Do they work for FN or do they work for Canada?

the 44.6k figure was from a week or 2 ago. The 112k number is pretty typical. You can look at the PSC page and check past years. The allocation is more or less based on some number of lbs of fish per day. I don't exactly remember the number but it's like a pound or 2. That is for 1st Nations all the way up the river to at least Prince George. They have a right to this fish - it goes back to the 19th century for BC and has been confirmed in the courts etc. There is no 'caving'. Sport fishers really need to get in tune with reality because some of you are living in some la la land. Bitching on the internet will never change this. You will also never change this via political activism since no one is interested in fixing their cart to such a movement.

ynot

• Old Timer

the native catch could have been stopped for conservation,,numbers have been poor since the early stuart

run began. worst in 100 yrs. what does it take for managers to wake up.

The Sparrow justification test applies beyond Aboriginal rights, to include treaty rights and Aboriginal title as well.

The Court further ruled that:
•Aboriginal and treaty rights are capable of evolving over time and must be interpreted in a generous and liberal manner.
•Governments may regulate existing Aboriginal rights only for a compelling and substantial objective, such as the conservation and management of resources.
•After conservation goals are met, Aboriginal Peoples must be given priority to fish for food over other user groups.

dobrolub

The fishery notice system is undergoing maintenance until tomorrow so none of the notices are available.
The system is back up but the Albion numbers give 404. Dаmn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17