Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal and Non-Tidal Fraser River Closes to Salmon Fishing August 11, 2016  (Read 78920 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The fishery notice for the immediate closure was just issued yesterday, so you gotta give them some time... It should be updated to reflect the closures, when another announcement is made for the reopening in two weeks from now. :)

mesmer25

Well DFO sure made a mess of things on both Pacific and Atlantic coast of Canada

interesting read with the full report
http://www.oceana.ca/en/publications/reports/heres-catch-how-restore-abundance-canadas-oceans

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

if they want people to abied by the rules they need to have that information updated immediately. its 2016. it takes 2 seconds to link that notice to the website. if i didn't check your site and left this morning i could face serious penalties.

i thank you for the time and effort you put into making sure the word gets out. couldn't imagine how bad it would be to find info without websites such as yours.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Thanks bigblockfox. That's pretty much what I've repeatedly stated in emails for the past 5 years, nothing has changed.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

if they want people to abied by the rules they need to have that information updated immediately. its 2016. it takes 2 seconds to link that notice to the website. if i didn't check your site and left this morning i could face serious penalties.

i thank you for the time and effort you put into making sure the word gets out. couldn't imagine how bad it would be to find info without websites such as yours.

I share your view. Frustrating as hell trying to get the most recent updates yet they expect us to follow the rules and regulations.

DanL

• Old Timer

I share your view. Frustrating as hell trying to get the most recent updates yet they expect us to follow the rules and regulations.
Next time the CO gives you a hard time about the regs, someone should pass him a smart phone starting on the DFO homepage and ask him to find the most current regs and openings/closures. He'll be stuck in navigational hell for the rest of the day and unable to issue any more tickets.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

dont even get me started on the mobile website. twice as hard to find information.

typhoon

• Old Timer

or habitat destruction...

andrewscag

or habitat destruction...

Nailed it.  Imagine what could happen if native bands, commercial fishermen, and sport/food fishermen joined together to fight the well documented causes of salmon stock decline?  There might even be enough to make all groups happy in years to come.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:08:49 PM by andrewscag »

hrenya

Nailed it.  Imagine what could happen if native bands, commercial fishermen, and sport/food fishermen joined together to fight the well documented causes of salmon stock decline?  There might even be enough to make all groups happy in years to come.
that will never happen

typhoon

• Old Timer

that will never happen
Sure. It's a lot more difficult than complaining on the internet about natives and commies.
No fish = no fishing. Fighting over the last scraps is not the solution.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Fraser stocks have proved in the past they can bounce back from low stock numbers as long as there is suitable habitat so long term, reversing destruction and degradation of habitat is essential. Rising water temperatures in the watershed and out in ocean is  habitat degradation. There are many other causes as well and it's a complicated issue which we all contribute to daily without thinking about it. The strong El Nino of the last couple of years has also had an impact and might be the short term cause of low sockeye numbers. Commercial & Native interceptions on this cycle have been low so I think people bark up the wrong tree when exclusively blaming them.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

It is probably futile to persuade DFO to open the Chinook fishery to the sporties when the natives probably threaten them that they would continue netting sockeyes if we are not stopped. DFO is just too timid against FN and they are powerless to enforce rules against them. Wasn't it that COs got pepper-sprayed in a reserve while trying to enforce something against the natives? Let's just hope that when the sockeye run is done that DFO will open the Chinook fishery like they did last year in September. By then, they really have no excuse to keep the fishery closed unless they stick up the Thompson Coho conservation excuse and keep us out. By then, sporties should really organize a public demonstration or a protest fishery against such unfair treatment of the recreational sector by DFO.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

The fishery notice system is undergoing maintenance until tomorrow so none of the notices are available.

But the static websites are still available, that's where you can check the correct regulations, if they have been updated. ;)

GordJ

The fishery notice system is undergoing maintenance until tomorrow so none of the notices are available.

But the static websites are still available, that's where you can check the correct regulations, if they have been updated. ;)
Part of me wants to head out and fish just to get a ticket to fight. I still can't find out what the notice on the Pitt says so I guess I am good to go. I can't find the static site you reference.