Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Our visit to Victoria  (Read 3288 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Our visit to Victoria
« on: August 05, 2004, 12:44:38 AM »

Some lighter stuff.....

Nina and I took a trip to Victoria (one nighter) yesterday and today. The last time we were there was four years ago during BC Summer Games. This time we didn't have to rush as much so we actually walked around town quite a bit and really enjoyed what Victoria has to offer!

Well, the ferry was definitely not the highlight of the trip. ::) We arrived at Tsawwassen terminal at 1:20pm, couldn't get on the 2pm, and then almost didn't get on the 3pm. Didn't people have to work? ;D

Clueless tourist

Anyways, our main reason for going there was to see the Egyptian exhibit at the Royal BC Museum (nerdy stuff). The Egyptian exhibit had a collection of rare artifacts from British Museum.

I don't know why the museum doesn't promote its exhibits more (or maybe I should start reading newspapers), because this is definitely one of the best museums I've been to around the world.

The only down side was the crowd was quite big as expected. It took 45 minutes for us to purchase tickets. Good things are worth waiting for I guess. Apparently there were 4,100 visitors on Tuesday!

At the very back of the line

The entire Egyptian exhibit took about two hours to go through in total. There was a lot of standing around, as the crowd was moving quite slowly. Very informative indeed, as there was an audio device to accompany you throughout the tour.

I thought the permanent exhibit in the natural history section was very well done too. The Melbourne, Oslo, Copenhagen zoological museums were also good when I visited, but this one was the most impressive I felt.

The IMAX movie on Egypt was also excellent, a good warm-up flick before you visit the Egyptian exhibit.

We didn't get a chance to see the First Nations and early settlement exhibits, as time was running out for us.  :-\

After the visit, we decided to take a quick drive down to the seashore. The view was totally worth it!

If anyone is considering to see the exhibit at the museum, I highly recommend it. Oh yes, the cost is quite high, $57.00 for two tickets to all the exhibits and the IMAX film, but still cheaper than flying all the way to England to see them later on. ;D

FLYallAROUND

• Getzlaf is amazing
Re:Our visit to Victoria
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 12:58:36 AM »

great museum and im glad you had a good time. last time i was there, it was for the leonardo davinci exhibit. it was also excellent.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 07:23:22 AM »

Happy to see you and Nina are looking after your cultural needs, Rodney.  ;D You do bring up an interesting point and that is everything is very busy and "doesn't anyone work anymore?" That is my beef when it comes to fishing, golfing, camping, etc.,...everything is crowded. When I get elected to office I will be making a rule that those under 60 years of age will be resricted in all leisure activities to Saturday and Sunday. Monday to Friday will be the domain of those 60+. Will I get your vote? :o
"One man of courage makes a majority"

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 08:03:00 AM »

Yes, it is a great museum.  I was able to see the Devinci exibit a few years back and was equally impressed.  He was an amazing thinker.  Thanks for the update on the Egypt exibit.  I was thinking of taking Mrs. Grumman for a "romance" weekend (that's no kids and lots of sleep) and I wanted to take in the show.  Now I will for sure.  $57.00 is cheap.  That's 1 trip to the tackle store and I still forgot something ;)  By the way, in summer time, pay the $15 for reservations on the ferry.  You could have had an extra 2hrs. in great old Vic.

By the way Rodney...are those shirts back in?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 01:07:24 PM »

By the way Rodney...are those shirts back in?

I would think so, otherwise why would so many people be staring at me during the trip?  ;D It might have been the glasses tan.... ::)

Terry.... I'll think about it.... 8)