Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KAYAK FISHING  (Read 9855 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: KAYAK FISHING
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »

One of the reviews said he also bought it on sale but that probably won't be until October.

I have an Aquaglide Deschutes 2 person kayak that is excellent.
It has a high pressure floor similar to a stand-up paddle board and fits in a backpack.
https://airkayaks.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/product-review-deschutes-two-hb-inflatable-kayak-from-aquaglide/

Decent price on Amazon for the one seater:
http://www.amazon.com/Deschutes-One-HB-Inflatable-Kayak/dp/B00IYS8N22

http://www.aquaglidekayak.com/

Aquaglide has an inflatable kayak specifically designed for kayak fishing.
It has Scotty mounts built in and a puncture-proof hull $1500
http://www.airkayaks.com/aquaglide-blackfoot-hb-inflatable-fishing-kayak-for-1-2-paddlers/

rezak

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 04:07:43 PM »

Has anyone tried one of these? https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/380x

Voyager

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »

My daughter and son in law have a sea eagle, I've never tried it but can't see it as a viable fishing kayak. I have 2 hobie's and 2 beautiful sea kayaks I built and an inflatable but only consider the hobie's when fishing, I don't think you can beat them but they are quite expensive, MEC and Western Canoe and kayaking have a variety of fishing kayaks

doja

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:21 AM »

Just about any kayak can be used for fishing with the right configuration. Inflatables are probably the lowest on the list but if going that route,  makes sure that it has tracking  fins as that will help keep it on track on bigger water with wind or while just gliding.   Sit on tops are far better for obvious reasons and can be picked up on craigslist for fairly reasonable prices... But a wide beam sit in is also a good option an I have both and have caught fish from both (10' sit in and 14' sit on) hobbies are nice as you can keep power while hands free but there's also drawbacks too...  All depends what you want from your system.

And as far as a wet butt...  I get that sometimes in my sit on from splashing waves and such. If it bothers you just take a pair of cheap rain pants and turn them into shorts... Lol. When it's cold I just use my waders.

markyboy

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »

I bought a feelfree moken 12.5 ft last fall. It's a very very stable, comfortable, affordable, and tough kayak but it's on the heavy side. It's also got a 'wheel in the keel' which helps drag it around when you are on your own but it's too small to go over rocky shores etc and it makes lifting it on to the roof trickier (as you can't stand it on that end). I got a great deal on mine on Amazon in the states and had it delivered to point Roberts where I picked it up. MEC have them locally.

The sad thing is that I haven't really used it much. I had hoped that it would open up some new spots in rivers and the sea, but so far I've only found whiterock beach (the far west end along the rail tracks) as the only new place I've found. I've taken it out to the usual local lakes but it's probably not as good as my small inflatable for these purposes. That said you get some good exercise, however paddling and reacting quick enough for a strike is somewhat tricky....

I'm hoping to take it out in the lower river when the pink run starts, think that sitting out a bit from shore should allow me to cast right into the middle of them and it will be fun trying to play them from the kayak!

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »

iv been fishing from an older pimped out necky sit in kayak for a while now. honestly enjoy getting out and paddling sometimes more than the fishing. typically canal fishing salmon and sloughs for cutties. sometimes just using it to get across the river to certain spots. currently thinking about upgrading to a larger more stable (sot) style fishing platform. western canoe and kayak does a free demo day once in a while at mill lake for anyone wanting to try one of the boats they carry. I tried the jackson cuda 14 at mill lake a year or so back and my opinion was that it wasn't too great for a larger (over 200) lb fishing angler for standing up but would make a great ocean and lake or slough style long distance paddling. if your running rivers mostly id stick to a 12 foot ish boat like a ride 115 or coosa.
boat. these were the kayaks that I am considering for typical fraser valley fishing situations as well as duck hunting options. I hear the sit in models have a dryer ride but the ability to flip it over if you tip as well as awesome new seating options in the sot models, deck storage, versi tracks for mounting hardware like rod holders, fish finders have me more interested.

..ocean kayak biggameprowler2(same boat as the old town predator essentially except with a centre hatch)....1300.00 / 12'9/  34'' wide/  70lbs    //    550 wt cap
.......jackson kayak coosa hd(better for over 200lbs than regular coosa)....1700.00//12'1'/ 34'' wide/  85lb w seat//    450 wt cap
.......jackson kayak cuda 14.....1700/ 14'3/  30.5''wide/ 80 with seat// 400 wt cap
.......wilderness ride 115maxxangler..1500/11'6''/33 wide/ 81lbs// 500 lb cap
note these are American prices I believe so they would cost way more... leaning on the ocean kayak prowler big game 2 or the wildy ride 115x max angler at this time just having trouble biting the bullet. I think a 14 ft boat is too much for loading and unloading unless your going to do some big lake/ocean stuff.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:25:40 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

mko72

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 05:33:05 PM »

I was so glad to find this thread!

I bought a belly boat back in June and that was a game changer but let's be honest, they're a little limiting.  To find some bass on an island this summer I had to kick out for a good 50-60 minutes, plus a return.  So I started thinking about getting around quicker.....

I've got an older kayak so I'm wondering about fishing from it.  It looks a bit like this (but a little longer w/ a second opening for a pack).

http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/sycad83/media/181307_10151825313230184_304350499_n.jpg.html

It's pretty stable but I've never fished out of it. I live on the north shore so will be focus largely on the North Van, West Van, Squamish areas.

I can't find a clamp on rod holder so any tips are welcome.

I'm pretty damn stoked though.

u_gada_no

• Shoulda seen the one that got away.
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

I hope that once you've given it a whirl with the Minn Kota you'll offer a full report. Thanks.

Ok, I was out at Tunkwa Lake a few weeks ago and really had a chance to give the boat and Minn Kota motor a workout. The power is amazing and the infinite control for setting the motor is great. You can go from dead slow to smooth fast easily. It was great trolling around the lake and then giving it full speed ahead when heading back in. Sure saved on the paddling.

I found, at 6' 5" there to be lots of room and the seat is amazingly comfortable. I'm heading up to Harmon Lake next Thursday and am bringing the boat along and will have more time to really put it through it's paces. I fished for hours at a time at a slow trolling crawl and the battery indicator never went below three bars. I had also purchased a small gen set at Walmart and used that to charge the battery. The recommended process is to charge the battery immediately upon returning to shore regardless of how long you've been out. Apparently it's good for the battery and ensures the highest capacity when you're on the water. All in all a very nice boat. One caveat, the boat is heavy when loaded with the motor and battery and I would recommend that you get it in the water before putting all the components on. At Tunkwa this wasn't a problem. But many lakes and places have boat launches that make it easier.