Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earth Day 2009: Celebrate, share or reflect?  (Read 3458 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Earth Day 2009: Celebrate, share or reflect?
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:03:54 PM »

So every ten minutes on the radio today, somebody wouldn't stop saying, "Happy Earth Day!"

What exactly are we celebrating? Rapid depletion of biodiversity? Accumulation of floating garbage in the ocean? Growing demand of fossil fuel? Most earth-related news these days aren't exactly celebration-worthy.

Earth Day provides an opportunity to share our actions that help Earth and reflect our way of life that could use some adjustment to reduce impacts.

So what have you done in the last couple of years and what do you plan to do, to make this a better place?

Here are some practices that I have maintained, some were started recently while others have been happening for quite awhile now. This is not an attempt to suggest that these are what you should do, but more of an attempt to share, inspire and perhaps hear what others are doing differently to also make a positive difference.

Garbage reduction: My weekly garbage is usually one shopping bag full. Most of the waste comes from the kitchen. Papers, cans, bottles and some plastics are always recycled. I've put a cat beside the bag for comparison in size.

Buying products that have minimal amount of packaging also helps and the products tend to be better as they are either raw or only processed slightly. I also bring a cloth bag to shop whenever I remember. When I started using one two years ago, I always forgot about it but it becomes quite easy after doing it for so long. The same practice has been going on in other parts of the world where plastic bags cost money at the supermarket so most people just bring their own bags.

Electricity saving: Lights are always turned off whenever not being used. The cable modem, computers, microwave, VCR, DVD player, TV and any other appliances that require a remote control are unplugged before going to bed or whenever not being used. The heater is kept at 15C or lower in the winter, it's an excellent way to kick the house guests out without saying anything. ;)

Gasoline usage: I've cut my gasoline usage to about $30 or less per week. This is possible partly because I work at home, but also has a lot to do with better planning before a trip, not hopping in a car whenever I desire to and using alternatives, ie. walking and biking, to close destinations such as the post office.

When it comes to fishing, there are also little things that I prefer doing to reduce impact.

When retaining fish, I prefer to have a cooler filled with ice for my catches. Not only it keeps the fish fresh, I do not end up wasting a plastic bag. A small cooler is used for trout and kokanee while fishing on a boat, or a big cooler kept in the car during the fall salmon or winter steelhead season.

Fishing line and lead are probably the most hazardous items left behind in the water by fishermen. I try to minimize that when fishing. Used line always goes into the pocket and disposed at home.

What do you do with your empty plastic spools after you use up all the fishing line on them? To prevent having these cluttering up in the house, I prefer to take my reel into the store for spooling. Quite often I would also bring my empty plastic spools in so they can be spooled. Most stores would be happy to do it for you.

Other more obvious practices that many anglers already do include conserving your catches. While most daily quotas of species in BC are already quite generous, I tend to practice moderation when retaining fish. Keeping enough fish in the freezer that can be finished within a reasonable period is the personal rule. Having fresh fish rarely is more desirable than having old fish often.

All these actions are primarily intended for helping the environment but overtime they do benefit personally by keeping more money in the pocket. Environmentally sounding practices aren't always costly, which has been the common belief. It in fact saves money, but just consumes more time and energy, which isn't always so appealing to us in today's fast paced life.

Let's hear your ideas!

speycaster

Re: Earth Day 2009: Celebrate, share or reflect?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:27:05 PM »

Went out and helped release 4000 baby dinos into the Columbia river . Month of May i start killing their predators, mmm walleye cooked in garlic and butter. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »

May??? I thought that you said fishing for them only gets better in August? :P

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:23 PM »

Try to pick up every recyclable bottle and tin I can, along with broken glass. It not only saves some energy in making the new containers from the old but saves on the use of the Earth's minerals.

As well it puts some money on one's pocket. Today for example I took in $41.95 worth that included $9.60 for the broken glass I picked up along the Vedder River.

Of course a number of us take part in the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition's Adopt a River program that have prevented tons of garbage the last few years from being washed down the Vedder to Georgia Strait trying to help stop this part of the Pacific Ocean from dying due to all the pollution from so many sources.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:56:13 PM by chris gadsden »

Fishit

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:47 PM »

Good topic here, Rodney

I continue to ride to work whenever possible....for the environment and also because it's fun. My girlfriend and I recently went down to one car to keep things simple. Like you, she works from home, which helps reduce our gas consumption. We also try to recycle as much as possible. Much of our food waste goes into our worm bin. I brought my worm bin to a local school to share with some elementary school kids. They got a kick out of it and probably learned a thing or too. The worms are also good for bait!!!

Whenever I go shopping I take cloth bags. I also leave a coffee mug in my car and backpack so I don't use a paper/styrofoam cup when I go out for coffee.

I recently watched a presentation on the 3R's...Recycling, Reusing and Reducing. From my understanding reducing consumption provides the biggest benefit to the environment. Therefore, I try not to buy into marketing hype pumped out by companies. I tend not to buy a ton of the latest gear unless I really need it. I certainly don't need a new pair of skis, a new mountain bike, or a new rod every year. Makes sense to me anyways.

As for fishing...well I only kept one last year. And I ate it the same day. Everything else was catch and release. Although I probably don't catch as many fish as you!!! My family took part in bringing back the salmon population to our local creek. Although the returns were never phenomenal. Participating in a streamkeepers group is something we have wanted to do in our new community. That will be a goal for 2009.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »

I catch them and eat them right there raw. Saves on putting them in bags, cooking energy........kidding

We got two big blue bins now and recycle almost everything. Plan on putting in a compost for some of the other waste. Put computer, printer etc. on one power bar so it's easier to unplug everything at once. Stopped buying bottled water as much. Reverse my unders on day two....kidding.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »

This might sound harsh,

but if the average Canadian young male didn't see a "moster" pick up as the ulitmate vehicle we might have a chance.

Coming from Europe I'm used to driving tiny cars that use little gas. But I've really noticed that up here (Vernon) there is something considered un-macho about driving such vehicles. I have friends on much lower incomes than me, and they (males) still need a 5l Jeep or big pickup for some reason? It's just image....IMO.

A 1litre Yaris would do the same job, but it's not "cool" enough, so they have to match their peirs and get a gas guzzeling hulk - or they wouldn't fit with their friends/collegues.

Without "air care" up here anything goes, and some of the older diesil trucks make me almost sick with their exhaust fumes, but I can spot them them now and put the air in the car to "recycle" to keep it out of my lungs. The smell and intensity is just vomitous at times if you don't catch the recycle switch quick enough.

Until there is some sort of law regarding emiissions up here nothing will change. It makes me laugh that I have to get a permit to burn my yard waste and can only burn at certain times, but you can drive a 1970's sutt belching lump of crap all year round, pushing it directly into peoples face around town, and that is OK?

cheers,

Paul.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »

The Missus and I have been trying to be as 'green' as possible over the last few years (with the exception of our SUV - but then its our only vehicle).  To offset, I take transit from Maple Ridge to the BCIT area (1.5 hours commute one way on a good day).  Other things we do/have done:
- Make good use of the blue box recyling program
- Made a garden in the back yard to grow our own vegetables - nice 10 x 20 plot - lettuce, radishes, carrots, parnips, tomotatoes, beans, cucumbers, zucchinni.  I'm amazed how much we actually get from it.
- Use a Compost bin for all organic material (great for the garden the following year)
- Mulch the grass clipping instead of bagging them - good for the lawns - adds nutrients and retains moisture in the summer
- When I walk the dog - I bring 3 bags - one for the doggie wast, one for gargage and one for the bottle returns (like Chris - you'd be surprised how much I collect in a month - turns out to be my 'allowance'  :D
- Errands on the weekend involves planning to minimize the 'drive time' and maximize the use of time.
- We do one major grocery shopping trip a month and then weekly trips to a local market for fresh produce and other items.

We've also improved the energy usage within our home - replaced a 50 year furnance with a HE, added a programmable thermostat so that the house can run cooler during the day when we are not at home, inceased the insulation amount in the attic, replaced the single pane windows with double, replaced our 13 litre toilets with the 3/6 litre low flow versions, low flow shower heads, even turned down the temperature on the hot water tank (please don't tell the missus!!  ::) )

I'm sure there is more that we do but we've been doing it for so long, it's just 'natural' now - no thinking about it.  :)

Basically - we've been celebrating Earth Day for quite some time.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Buck_wife

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »

Good topic!
I have to say we put in a pretty good effort as a family to try and be earth friendly.
For a family of 6 we have maybe a 3/4 can of garbage a week and one can of recycling. (regular size green rubbermaid container). It always amazes me how one of our neighbors have a family of 3 and they have 2-3 cans of garbage plus 2-3 bags of recycling put out EVERY week!! We never even had that much garbage when we had 3 kids in diapers.  :o These aforementioned neighbors also pay to have everything done for them. They pay for someone to hang/take down their Christmas lights, they pay someone to mow their lawn, they pay someone to wash their windows outside and they pay the pool man to clean and maintain their salt water pool WEEKLY. It pains my little dutch heart to think of all the money they "throw" out. IMO, these types of things can easily be done by ones self, plus it doesn't send a very good message to their child. anyways, before I get more gray hair thinking about that....
All our bottles & tins are brought to the bottle depot, and whatever can be composted gets composted.
All computers get shut down for the night. I make a point of running the dishwasher only when it has been completely filled up, and also only do full loads of laundry. I used to have a clothesline before we moved and always used that on nice days. We now live in a neighborhood where we are not allowed to have a clothesline, so unfortunately the clothes need to be thrown in the dryer.
When the kids have a shower I usually set a timer, because I have a few that could easily empty the hot water tank in one shower (and we have a 80 gallon tank....)
As far as heat goes...we're not quite as cold blooded as Rodney  ;) , our thermostat sits on 21 during the day 365 days a year, and between 10pm-6am it goes down to 18. And we're constantly nagging the kids when it is cooler weather out, "SHUT THE DOOR, WE"RE NOT TRYING TO HEAT THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!" I swore I would never be like my parents, but now........
When grocery shopping I use the green/purple bins (Superstore) for hauling groceries home.  They come in handy for tons of other stuff too, I think we have 12 (possibly more, lol) kicking around.
Fuel for the van is about 30$ a week. I think that is something that I probably could cut down on. Since we started homeschooling 2 years ago, we have become very involved in hockey, skating, basketball & soccer. It is good to be active, and that all counts as  our P.E., but it also means that we go away every afternoon.
oh yeah, and we take part in the river clean ups... ;D

I try to do a lot of baking, instead of buying snacks and such, but it seems the more I bake, the more the kids eat!! but at least we can pronounce all the ingredients that go in the stuff that I bake... ;) The last couple of weeks I have also been baking bread, (the old fashioned way, don't own a breadmaker) but that also seems to disappear as soon as its out of the oven...so I am not sure if its actually saving us any money, but it sure does taste good!!!

All in all I think we do the best we can, and hopefully our kids will do so too!

speycaster

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »

There have been a few caught already Rod, you have to search and work for them early in the year. ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:44:27 PM by speycaster »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:19:05 PM »

Save a couple of hundred bucks by just turning down the thermostat a couple of degrees.