Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish for the Future 2007, thank you!  (Read 5720 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fish for the Future 2007, thank you!
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:02:38 PM »

Still very tired, so a very short thank you for now. ;) Photos:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2007fftf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fish for the Future 2007, thank you!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:01:40 PM »

This morning I woke up at 4:30am and was anxious to get things started. With the event expanding each year, there are more items to worry about. The amount of time it takes to set up becomes longer because there are more tents to put up.

Dragonspeed and Chrome Mykiss arrived with their trucks at 8:00am and loaded up everything from my garage. We got down there at 8:15am and met up with half a dozen volunteers. The setup finished at 9:45am and all volunteers and exhibitors had arrived (the Chilliwack crew were one hour late as they were apparently filming some illegal driftnetting on the way down ;) ).

The start was kind of slow, but by 10:30am, a sudden convergence of crowd brought the festive atmosphere to the pier. From then until finishing, people arrived steadily, which was nice as it gives us a chance to talk to everyone.

The birds of prey were once again the stars of the event. Their job is to bring awareness of predatory birds to the public and they had certainly accomplished that task. A small group of spectators could be seen around the birds tent throughout the event.

This year's new addition is the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC from Abbotsford. The team brought the freshwater component of fishing to the event, which residents around Richmond don't often hear about. Hopefully this exposure will bring many interests to the new learn to fish program at the hatchery.

Another big attraction at this event is always the coho salmon fry aquarium by the Seymour Salmonid Society.

Not many fish were caught as the tide was outgoing, but some sculpins and peamouth chubs were brought to the fish tank. The biggest fish of the day was a largescaled sucker, estimated to be between 18 and 20 inches in length! Carlo attempted proper fish handling skill demonstration, but we won't go into how it ended. ::)

The flycasting clinic brought out many curious onlookers, who all tried to learn a casting trick or two.

Big Steel, Randog, svsv71 and Chris put together an impressive river fishing display. Hopefully this helped out many people who wanted to learn more about river fishing.

Another new addition this year is the presence of DFO officers. After our communication yesterday, three DFO officers attended the event to check licenses, explain their duties to the public and educate all on what they should do when violations are witnessed. Later on the event, they brought out the fishery patrol boat and docked at the pier so all the kids could have a good look. As usual, we had our RCMP officers who were volunteering their free time to patrol the pier. This type of community outreach activities are only beneficial to all parties so I appreciate that they took the time to come out.

Many thanks to all the volunteers once again. Your support is always needed. Without it, fishing licenses would not be written, kids wouldn't be able to fish safely, people wouldn't be able to tie flies, learn how to fish, or actually, the event wouldn't even happen. It is this support that makes me say, "ok... we'll do this again next year." :)

Still tired, but more photos and videos to come.

OldTrout

• dino on a leash !!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 09:18:43 PM »

Congratulations to all that took part it was an excellent day.

I finally managed to put some faces to the names I see on the site.

It was good to meed both Chris and Rodney.

Excelent work.

OldTrout

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »

Thanks for a great morning Rod. My son had a great time and was thrilled when he got the first fish for the tank. After that he decided to stop so that he could check out the tank and the other displays. 

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »

Thanks for a great morning Rod. My son had a great time and was thrilled when he got the first fish for the tank. After that he decided to stop so that he could check out the tank and the other displays. 

Ah.  YOU were Fly Guy!

Good to meet you.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:54:03 PM »

Yes that was me great to meet you too

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Buck_wife

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:31:32 PM »

Without it, fishing licenses would not be written

how true!  ;D
Wow, what a great day! You couldn't have asked for better weather.
After leaving the 'wack shortly after 7 am, we arrived back home shortly after 9pm, tired and sunburned but very satisfied with our day out.
(good thing we took the tent, cuz the other crew from the 'wack was late...)  ;) It was nice to see so many people come through, and to see the kids quite excited and rather impatiently give me their information for their license, so they could carry on and go and try their hand at fishing.
We all enjoyed helping out, and after volunteering at the event for the day, us Chilliwackians (myself, Buckeye, our 4 kids, Chris, Lew, Frank) and Floon went our for a delicious supper at Sockeye City Grill.  What a great restaurant. (glad I was finally able to eat at "that" restaurant  :D) I loved the fish shaped plates, and was tempted to smuggle 6 home for my family, but I had only brought my small purse, so I couldnt fit them all in there, lol.  :o (not a good example for my kids!)
After dinner we said good bye to Floon and carried on to White Rock to pump some "bugs"  The kids thought this was just great and quite thoroughly enjoyed picking up pumped out bugs and giving it a shot themselves.
And Chris, being the environmentally friendly guy that he is, searched for cans as we pumped, and did quite well too, I might add! :)
After pumping 50 "bugs", (which is harder than it looks, my arm is aching...) we decided to call it a day and head for home.

What a great day. Good times and great friendship, those are the things that will be in our memory for a long, long time.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:13:34 AM »

Without it, fishing licenses would not be written

how true!  ;D
Wow, what a great day! You couldn't have asked for better weather.
After leaving the 'wack shortly after 7 am, we arrived back home shortly after 9pm, tired and sunburned but very satisfied with our day out.
(good thing we took the tent, cuz the other crew from the 'wack was late...)  ;) It was nice to see so many people come through, and to see the kids quite excited and rather impatiently give me their information for their license, so they could carry on and go and try their hand at fishing.
We all enjoyed helping out, and after volunteering at the event for the day, us Chilliwackians (myself, Buckeye, our 4 kids, Chris, Lew, Frank) and Floon went our for a delicious supper at Sockeye City Grill.  What a great restaurant. (glad I was finally able to eat at "that" restaurant  :D) I loved the fish shaped plates, and was tempted to smuggle 6 home for my family, but I had only brought my small purse, so I couldnt fit them all in there, lol.  :o (not a good example for my kids!)
After dinner we said good bye to Floon and carried on to White Rock to pump some "bugs"  The kids thought this was just great and quite thoroughly enjoyed picking up pumped out bugs and giving it a shot themselves.
And Chris, being the environmentally friendly guy that he is, searched for cans as we pumped, and did quite well too, I might add! :)
After pumping 50 "bugs", (which is harder than it looks, my arm is aching...) we decided to call it a day and head for home.

What a great day. Good times and great friendship, those are the things that will be in our memory for a long, long time.

Late, there was others still setting up after we settled into our lawn chairs.  ;D ;D After  getting a little 3 hours sleep I had to have a couple of cat naps to survive the day.

The 50 bugs are safely tucked away for he night and hope they get Terry and I a chinook on Monday

Always good to meet old and new faces at events like this. Good to hear from members I had not net before that say they enjoy reading The Journal. That is always encouraging.

Great work by Rodney and many others to put on the event and so good to see so many happy young faces fishing with their parents. I captured one shot that I think is a great photo of this and maybe I will get Rodney to post if it is good as I hope it is.

The future of our fish and the environment will soon be in these young people's hands. I hope when we hand it to them in a few years we have done are part in doing the best we can for them to continue.

Dedication by people like Rodney putting on this event each year go a long way in making this happen. Well done.

Looking at these young people delighted faces, intently waiting for that "bite" I think they will be up to that challenge as I saw many enjoying the art of angling today, as it should be. ;D ;D ;D

They, like many of us started with that old standby, a garden worm to catch our first fish. It did not matter to us as it did to the participates today did not care, if it was a sculpin, a northern pike minnow or a chub, it was a fish and that was what mattered as it should.

Gosh I even saw Buckeye with a smile on his face as he caught a sign that blew off a table into the marsh below. It was as I told many today the Maple Leaf Silver Doctor with a red head is the best spinning glow made. It was proven today with George catching the 4 by 4 sign. :D :D :D

It getting late and I am starting to write a silly ending to The Journal, sorry George.

Thanks again to all that helped and took part.

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:56:48 AM »

I had such great fun as usual. 8)
Thanks for dinner 'Bucks" it was odd that the whole Steveston area was out eh? Glad to hear the bug expidition turned out Chris may not be able to cure the ones he got off the boat in time for Monday. ;D
It's the peole who make this happen that keep me coming back along with the kids. ;)

HEY, look at me being the Fishy Shot!!!! :-*
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »

Great stuff people and those that volunteer for this event should give themselves a big pat on the back.
Talk about scoring points with the Fish Gods. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 01:55:10 PM »

I just added Dragonspeed's photos into the album (070707-48 to 070707-81). The bird ones are very nice. :)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2007fftf

Video:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/2007-fish-for-the-future.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 04:26:37 PM by DragonSpeed »

Joe the Soccer Coach

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:45:30 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was quite glad to get down to Steveston to take in Fish for the Future 2007 at London's Landing.  I was there around noon.  Everyone who set up the booths and those helping bait the hooks were quite informative and very helpful to my questions. 

I'm an avid fisherman from Kitimat - crabs, prawns, flounder; and not so good at fishing the freshwater.  I asked the DFO officer many questions about fishing that part of the Fraser.  He mentioned that Rod would be the best person to ask about fishing this part of the Fraser for the pinks (in August, is that right?).

I had fun watching all the kids fishing and saw one catch one of those "white" fishes.  I always liked fishing tidal waters, because one never knows what lurks near the bottom. 

Anyways, kudos to all the organizers of the Fish for the Future 2007 event.  It looked like everyone enjoyed themselves out at London's Landing in the Sunshine!

Cheers!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 09:06:04 AM »

Glad you enjoyed the event Joe. :)

I just added more photos to:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/2007fftf?page=4

Erik Poole (070707-82 to 070707-88)
Chris Gadsden (070707-89 to 070707-92)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 05:16:16 PM »

So this is what I missed at Sockeye City after the event... ;)

CG: You flossed it!
Floon: No really, it bit!

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:12:39 AM »

Pretty serious looking guys for the discussion. "I think the halibut. I'm going with the burger, I had fish the last 2 days...."

:D
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.