Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 150064 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

you have done more than anyone else in this thread. people don't understand the politics of it all not to mention all the time it takes to make videos to try and teach proper ethics. there is a ton of great info on this site. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

The next time I see Rodney on the river... I'm going to hand him a Snickers bar. ;D

He prefers a Big Mac. :)

mikeyman

Exactly the point confirmed with those replies. Lol.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

That response was so deep that I feel smarter just by reading it.

Anyway people... River level dropped overnight and we're back to almost normal, should be good until the next storm comes.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

If the vis is 2 in and the fishing is amazing i think we know who the snagger flosser is. Lol. This website promoting fishing. Yet do not see the problems...find another area with less people. There is a major problem if you witnessed the violations and carnage this season. Not a personal shot as there are many ethical anglers here. Great promote the sport. Maybe it is time to make a video and post it on the ethics of fishing vs snagging and flossing with easy to understand examples. In a few translated langauges. I am sure many anglers freaquent this site that would benefit from it. Show a short float rig drifting on the river....float standing up. Short leader. Float down game on...show a float dragging. 10 ft bouncing bottom 3 ft 4 ft 5ft 6 ft plus leaders. Bare hooks. Rip on every cast. Amazement when one might be in the mouth...pretend to fight it down river to bonk it. Walking in close enough on somone to give a reach around. I could continue. I know there has been lots done to promote proper methods. But to say whats the problem dont understand the complaints? Kinda ignorant. Go ahead delete this ban me from posting again. Dont care. Just saying this site brings new anglers to the river who may need to be shown the way. So then it should do more to help fix the problems. Then just finding a new spot. But hey the problem will always exist without more funding, enforcement, leader length restriction would be a good start to. Maybe a test to take to get a liscence. Basic rules barbed vs barbless. Snagging. Fish identification. Etc.

Please share your contributions to fishing education and our environment, mikey. We'd all love to hear them.

clarki

• Old Timer

should be good until the next storm comes.

Judging by the sky water falling at my home office in the Vancouver suburbs, that is now :)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

Judging by the sky water falling at my home office in the Vancouver suburbs, that is now :)

Don't know why but that made me laugh...I guess that break in the weather lasted like what? 2 minutes? LOL

cdjk123

Ya....I think that storm arrived early...It's been pounding rain all day in Abbotsford.

mikeyman

I can tell you what I didnt do. Create a website exposing and promoting the over crowding of our local rivers. Then saying you dont understand the complaints of unethical and illegal activety that plague the rivers.  Call my reply dumb. Say quit the bitching. Defend it go ahead. That is expected. I will tell you I am not the only one who has shared this opinion. Choosing to ignore it is part of the problem.

banx

hilarious.

well fire up the ol ink jet printer man. laminate some instructions and place them at KWB. in various languages like you said..... get yourself a visi vest.  hell, i'm sure people here would help you crowd fund it and probably a hard hat.  Then you can take your self on a sturday morn down there to educate and help elimate this plague your talking about.

it's pretty easy to point chubby little fingers instead of actually doing anything.....  correct?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

FWR has explored a lot more local fishing than just local rivers like the Chilliwack. Over the many years it went into fishing opportunities outside the usual salmon steelhead and trout triumvirate ... and I don't mean bass.

The extent of snagging and flossing on the V-C has always been exaggerated by self-righteous looky-loos who hang around KWB, the train bridge or Tamihi rapids so they can get there pulse racing over some of the stuff that goes on there. Others just take a walk and have a good time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:12:11 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Ok, that rant is not incoherent at all... lol... ::)

Two things.

Fishing with Rod is my job, please no the difference between it and me. When I go out and fish, I choose to be away from people and find my own fish. On an ideal day, I don't want to see anyone. If people happen to be around me, they'll be very welcome, but for the most part I'm not going to waste my time joining the crowd then be aggravated about it. My time is precious and I'd only have myself to blame if I decide to waste it on that stupidity. This doesn't mean that there isn't a problem on the most highly utilized river in BC, there is a big difference between what I do for work, and what I do for fun. Going down to the canal at 3am with 300+ other anglers is not my definition of fun. For some it is, and they should totally enjoy it. For the rest who choose to go down there then complain about it, you got too much free time because you're not valuing it.

Secondly, it is not MY responsibility to fix this problem, but I've chosen to expend some of my time and money on it. I can stand here and confidently say that this website has spent more effort than any other government agencies and NGOs on angling education in the Lower Mainland, from online content publishing, hosting ten years of "Fish for the Future" and two years of "Chilliwack's All About Fishing" to date, attending SFAC meetings once every six months, consultations with DFO C&Ps and province's CO's, peacemaker meetings, sitting on the board of the Family Fishing Society of BC, answering countless emails of "stupid" questions so people can go out and practice proper angling. What's that I hear...? Fishing with Rod is supposed to do... more? Why don't you do something instead of bitching and worrying about what others are doing? ::)
How things have changed, remember the first time I took you to the Squished Tin in 2001 and I think only us and Jon where there, I can not remember how many we caught but was great fishing. These days are a thing of the past and memories we have had are very rewarding. With or without fishing forums, cell phones and u tube I think the pressure would be the same, thanks to large population growth in our area, more time off for people, early retirement etc.

The work Rod has done on many so fronts since I first met him and we started the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society together with Lew, Terry and others is to be commended, too bad there is not more people like him who get involved in making things better for the fish, for us and other new fishers.

These days I prefer hunting over fishing, camping by myself, high in the mountains with the sound of the wind, the call of the occasional coyote howling at the full moon and clear skies,no human in sight, no forum can take that from me or you if you take the time to experience it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:06:35 PM by chris gadsden »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

I can tell you what I didnt do. Create a website exposing and promoting the over crowding of our local rivers. Then saying you dont understand the complaints of unethical and illegal activety that plague the rivers.  Call my reply dumb. Say quit the bitching. Defend it go ahead. That is expected. I will tell you I am not the only one who has shared this opinion. Choosing to ignore it is part of the problem.
I don't want to come across as ignorant but if you think this "website" has caused so much damage to our sport, why do you even spend any of your time here? If I have such a negative opinion about something, I personally make sure that it doesn't take a second of my daily time. 

Anyway, we are digressing here. How's the river this afternoon after the last dump?

milo

• Old Timer

Unethical and illegal activity on the Vedder has been around for much, much longer than FWR has.
And YOU are part of the problem, not of the solution.

Let me guess...you are a middle aged WASP lamenting the demise of the good ole whiteboys' club? Embrace the new Canada - generally speaking, it is a FAR better place today than it was years ago.  :)

mikeyman

Far from it. Good try though. Lol.