Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marabou substitute  (Read 6454 times)

KarateKick

Marabou substitute
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »

Has anyone tried dressing jig heads with something less expensive than marabou?  Are there certain types of yarn that you've found effective as a marabou substitute?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Marabou substitute
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »

Saddle, but I have to check.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »

Marabou is expensive? Well I won't suggest Rhea then.

Rabbit fur strips are a common sub for marabou but I don't think it's less expensive. A number of similar furs have the same effect.

Be sure any natural marabou etc bought at a craft store is coloured with water fast dye. Craft fur (it's actually plastic) comes in a variety of colours and will work as well.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:39:58 PM »

Check second-hand stores for feather boas.  My daughter has a couple in green, pink and purple that will be looking a little thinner next year.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »

Where did you buy your marabou and how much did you pay?  I find it cost less than the gas I pay to drive to the tackle store and back.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

Yup, Schlappen and/or plain old wool, multiple strands of pink/purple, red/black, chartreuse/black and white/pink wool.  If you can ad in some flash all the better.  Even a thumb sized piece of pink and purple wool on a 1/0 will work for non discriminating fish like chum.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »

Marabou is basically free. Turkey leg feathers.
The hardest part is finding quality feathers in any batch from any manufacturer.

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:30:05 PM »

Where did you buy your marabou and how much did you pay?  I find it cost less than the gas I pay to drive to the tackle store and back.

I am a cheapskate.  :P

Raising a disabled kid uses up all disposable income.  We improvise as much as possible.   :)

Yup, Schlappen and/or plain old wool, multiple strands of pink/purple, red/black, chartreuse/black and white/pink wool.  If you can ad in some flash all the better.  Even a thumb sized piece of pink and purple wool on a 1/0 will work for non discriminating fish like chum.

Thank you so much!  I am going to try some wool and glitter thread from the dollar store.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »

Marabou, the cheapest feather used for fly tying and someone called it expensive...

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

Raising a disabled kid uses up all disposable income.  We improvise as much as possible.

Would your disabled child be able to access the Stave River.  Your glitter/wool jigs will kill for chum in about 2-3 weeks time. 

If you would like me to show you where or even help you let him experience the Chum fishery on the river, please let me know.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »

Marabou pulsates when moving through the water column in a manner you cannot replicate with wool. Stick to marabou for jigs.

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »

Would your disabled child be able to access the Stave River.  Your glitter/wool jigs will kill for chum in about 2-3 weeks time. 

If you would like me to show you where or even help you let him experience the Chum fishery on the river, please let me know.

That would be wonderful!

KarateKick

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 12:36:13 PM »

Marabou pulsates when moving through the water column in a manner you cannot replicate with wool. Stick to marabou for jigs.

That's good to know.  Thank you so much!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 06:19:37 PM »

fox & craft fur is similar. Fox is much more expensive and I don't think craft fur is any cheaper. Rabbit strips also has the same pulsation. Feathers, particularly webby stuff like hen, schlappen and lower grade necks and saddle can be tied 'back to back' so the two splay out and these will pulse when retrieved.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:08:35 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »

That's good to know.  Thank you so much!

Just sent you a PM.