Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crabbing and bottom fish -June 25  (Read 1203 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
crabbing and bottom fish -June 25
« on: June 25, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »

Headed out in the salt around Vancouver today in search of crab and maybe a couple rock cod, dropped the traps and headed for the fishing hole. Five minutes after dropping her line my girlfriend gets into a fish, then the rod doubles over and it starts pulling harder, when it finally surfaced we realize a 12 or so pound lingcod has his jaws around her rockcod. I swipe at both of them a couple times with the net, and luckily the fish are too big for the net and the ling eventually loosens its death grip on the rockcod and swims off. The excitement was just starting to wear off and I hook into something large that feels like bottom, of course I thought it was a ling, it fought hard making a couple runs to bottom, when I finally got it to the surface I was shocked to see the biggest rockcod I have ever caught :o After trying to revive it we realized the lenghty trip from bottom was too much for it so we decided since fish that size aren't good eating we would immortalize it by having it mounted. Pulled the traps and only had redrock in them, then we called it a day after spending no more than an hour on the water.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album77

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: crabbing and bottom fish -June 25
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »

Awsome report lucky. Thats a monstor. How long was the fish I cant really tell from the pic. thanks
weeeeeeeeeow!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 12:13:54 PM »

the small one was around 10" the big one was about 22" just a little shy of two feet.

chronic

• Don't eat $hit
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »

that's a beast of a rock cod. Good job! Where abouts in Vancouver were you fishing?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »

that rock cod is a hawg! nice job lucky!

joshuag232

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:20:39 PM »

nice fish!