Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pink salmon in the vedder  (Read 5382 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
pink salmon in the vedder
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

dont know if im the only who noticed this while fishing the vedder......a couple times while checking out some pools i noticed  pink salmon by itself swimming around....first was a male already humped and colored and just a few days ago on the lower a female swimming around again by itself. are these guys lost or what. :-\

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: pink salmon in the vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »

Somebody posted a picture of one they caught a couple weeks ago - a humped out male.  I also thought I saw a humped male porpoising at peach road.  I wonder if there are enough to actually pair up and spawn this year?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:09 PM »

Wouldn't it be cool if these fish paired up, spawned, and over the period of several generations their progeny established an even year pink run.

Like some mid ECVI rivers that have major/minor runs in consecutive years.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:52:54 PM by clarki »

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »

It seems that every even year you hear a few reports of pinks in the Vedder. It sure would be cool (and downright awesome) if they managed to spawn successfully and reestablish a run!!  8)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:18:31 AM »

There are some rivers on the North Coast that have good runs every year. I have never seen it but I have heard the Mamquam gets a few pinks in even numbered years. Of course they could try to introduce a run in off years as they have done in some places on the ECVI (Nile Creek)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dobrolub

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »

I hope they start a yearly run :)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:39 PM »

so these pinks are actually an even year strain that spawn in the vedder?...my first thought was they somehow got lost from maybe another tributary from the fraser that has a viable even year pink population.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »

they are likely strays from up the coast. Best I know there is no Fraser trib with a viable even year population. I note there have been no pinks taken in any in river test fishery. Whonnock ran until Sept 11th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/chilliwack/chilliwack-eng.html
If you click the release database link, it says there were 63,000 pinks released from the Hatchery in 2008, using fish from the Big Qualicum River.  So, may be they established themselves from that.  It will be decades before they become as abundant as the odd years probably.  Hope nobody keep any of them during the even years.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:13:39 AM by fic »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »

Some would say that Pink years on the Vedder bring out the worst in people.
If they're going to add more pressure they should increase education and enforcement.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/chilliwack/chilliwack-eng.html
If you click the release database link, it says there were 63,000 pinks released from the Hatchery in 2008, using fish from the Big Qualicum River.  So, may be they established themselves from that.  It will be decades before they become as abundant as the odd years probably.  Hope nobody keep any of them during the even years.

I read that as a 2008 release of fry from eggs gathered from Big Q adults in 2007 and into the Big Q. That river doesn't have much of a pink salmon run afaik. I don't think any ECVI river south of Courtney has much natural pink salmon production.

I'll also mention this: there's a book by Ralph Wahl; One Man's Steelhead Shangri La. Mostly about a backwater on the Skagit River from which Wahl caught summer and winter steelhead over a period of decades, it also includes a chapter on the sudden appearance of a small run of pinks in that backwater in even numbered years. He tracked it and reported it to fisheries officials who came out & took samples etc. The number of fish was never more than a few dozen but as Wahl says in the book he had never seen pinks there in even numbered years. Within 10 or so years that little run of pinks vanished.

Some would say that Pink years on the Vedder bring out the worst in people.
If they're going to add more pressure they should increase education and enforcement

Inevitable that someone would say that. For some the glass is always half empty though for my part; where would the money to stock even numbered fish come from? Who is accountable if it doesn't work?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:10:49 AM by RalphH »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »

If you click the release database link, it says there were 63,000 pinks released from the Hatchery in 2008

If there was a release then presumably they would have had some return stats to the hatchery in 2010 to judge relative success? Dont know if that info is publicly available, but it's interesting they did a small release.

Easywater

• Old Timer

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »

I think all rivers were populated by accident over a number of years (100,000 +)
Be patient.....