Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone from FWR from the Terrace Area?  (Read 1733 times)

wookie

Anyone from FWR from the Terrace Area?
« on: August 07, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »

Hi, I am heading up to Terrace in late September to visit a friend and hopefully get a few days on the water.

I there anyone on the forum in the Terrace area who is willing give me a bit of advice on what gear to bring, good starting spots for me to explore and/or perhaps meet up on the water? 

My friend lives about 15 mins from the Kalum.....I was going to start there.....

I was thinking to bring my 8wt Spey plus a level-wind for chucking a bit of gear

Thanks in advance!

dufflayer

Re: Anyone from FWR from the Terrace Area?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »

I've been prying for info on the Skeena for a while now. Not too many folks on FWR from up North...and not too many folks that like to give up their spots.

I usually fish Kitimat but have a little knowledge on Terrace. My buddy has been slaying Ferry Island (under the bridge headed in to town) this season. Just bouncing heavy flies under his 8wt. Bunch of sockeye, pinks, chum, even steelhead.

I'm confident the Kalum and Copper are pretty much Steelhead mecca come September. You're lucky to have the chance to fish there so crush it!!!

I would bring your 8wt for sure. You will want a longer (15ft) type 8 sink tip if you think you can chuck it. 3 ft 15-20lb maxima leaders.
I really enjoy level-wind float fishing to give my shoulders a break from spey casting. Your standard colorado blades, pink worms, gooey bob rigs should work alright if you're targetting steelhead. Haven't had much luck with jigs, but locals seem to flock to them for pinks/chum.
Head in to Fish Tales or Misty River to see what's working, they are often pretty easy going with their local knowledge, depending on who you get.

I want to try the Copper in September. I hear there is good access all along the FSR which parallels the river.

Go Leafs Go

wookie

Re: Anyone from FWR from the Terrace Area?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will make sure to report once I get there!!