Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is 30lb main line USELESS Fishing Kawkawa Lake For Kokanee and Trout, 8lb Leader  (Read 3952 times)

Archer

Got a reel with 30lb Max green mono on a Penn Fierce 6000 spinning reel. If I use 8lb leader will it be OK, and not scare the wee Kokanee with 30lb main line?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:17:32 PM by Archer »

skaha

• Old Timer

--I don't think kokanee are line shy.
--I sometimes use heavy leader like 20-30 lb to get action on a lure behind a dodger/flasher.
--Only issue you may have is lack of stretch thus make sure you use a soft rod...keep drag set loose... if that doesn't work try a snubber.
--I presume this reel and line were being used for trolling given the heavy line. As others suggest braid or thinner mono for casting.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:08:16 PM by skaha »

Rieber

• Old Timer

Bright orange or yellow fly line doesn't seem to scare them so I doubt the thinner 30# mono will any worse.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

While kokanee may not be line shy, detecting their delicate bites is going to be almost impossible with 30lb test mono unless they hook themselves.

Damien

• Old Timer

I might tend to disagree with you Rod.  A high line weight would be more apt to act like braid when something very light is on the end of it.  IE there will be virtually no strech with a under ~1lb kokanee hooked.  Except for the leader area and/or snubber.

Henceforth, there will be more action transported to the rod tip.  This is the more crucial part.  Will the angler's rod be sensitive enough to detect the bite...the line has less relevance.  IMHO.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I'll stick to my 10lb braided main and 4lb mono leader.... :)

Damien

• Old Timer

Well, yeah.  I was just answering the question at hand.

The OP is best to go buy a low cost spinning combo and spool it appropriately.

Birkenhead

I run 40lb on my rods. Mind you it is braided which roughly equals 10 lb mono. For leader, I use 6 to 8 lb fluorocarbon and have no trouble with Kokannee at Kawkawa lake or trout in the interior lakes and rivers.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer

Got a reel with 30lb Max green mono on a Penn Fierce 6000 spinning reel. If I use 8lb leader will it be OK, and not scare the wee Kokanee with 30lb main line?

Thanks!

This is NOT a good setup and will cause you grief. As already mentioned the 30lb will have very little stretch, thus transferring most/all of the stretch to your 8lb leader. You will be more likely to snap your leader than if you went with a much lighter mainline.

Perhaps more importantly, the 30lb mono will cast like CRAP. Wayyyyy too thick. If you have not already casted with it trust me, you will hate casting line this thick on a spinning reel. If you are ONLY trolling with this set up it could work alright I guess.

Go to Canadian tire or wherever and buy a small spool of Trilene XL (not XT). It is great on spinning reels! Go 10 or 12lb mainline and 8 or 6 lb leader. It will cast nice and only set you back 5-10 bucks depending on the spool size you buy.

If you are uncomfortable spooling up your own reel take it to a tackle shop and have them do it (but buy their line of a big bulk spool, most will have Trilene XL).

If you are casting lures (esp swinging spoons/spinners in the river and want max feel) then go with a nice braid lik Suffix 832 in 20lb or less. But it is a bit pricey. for now get rid of that damn 30lb and get some lighter mainline designed for spinning reels.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:24:42 PM by Spawn Sack »

FishOn36

I was using my bass spinning setup for trout a couple weeks ago in the Cariboo, 30lb power pro with 12lb fluorocarbon leader. It worked surprisingly well, for both casting and trolling small spinners/spoons. 30lb mono is something I would stay away from, as some have already stated. Castability is horrible, but if you're just letting line out and trolling, you should be alright.