Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling Depth - Buntzen or others  (Read 4071 times)

BananasQ

Trolling Depth - Buntzen or others
« on: August 02, 2016, 09:07:13 PM »

Took the kids and one of their friends out on the weekend at Buntzen, we managed probably two or three hours before the boredom got the better of them and they decided to go catch some fish at the dock.  In that time we had a couple of fish on but lost them near the canoe.  Our trolling depth was, to put it politely, somewhat random, and I got to thinking - I know that I am meant to target the thermocline or whatever, but barring buying expensive gear to detect this, are there any good rules of thumb or guides for knowing what depth the fish will be at? There wasn't any real surface activity and it was late morning - I feel that the 10ft or so we were at may not have been sufficiently deep. Just wanting to up our hookups a bit to keep the kids engaged. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:09:04 PM by BananasQ »

banx

Re: Trolling Depth - Buntzen or others
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »

well, without downriggers or fancy equipment you can just use the structure of the lake. with a few split shots and varying your speed you should be able to stay in the zone. time of day is important too.... morning seem to be the best when I would take the kid fishing in the summer

The small lakes around harrison are great for kids. even though they are stocked in the spring, some fish get to a decent size and survive winter. I've caught a few stocked bows between 17" and 18" though they fought like wet socks, a 17" fish looks alot bigger than an 11" fish when your 12 years old.

my daughter hates trolling too,  so a few things I do to avoid boredom for her and make things more fun me kinda goes like this...

1. avoid the big lakes, no motors being ideal
2. buy worms and tip your colorado blade with them ( I have put a gomphus on for her when the blades stop working)
3. find a drop off of said lake your at
4. troll only fast enough to get that spinner blade to move.
5. add or remove split shots if you need
6. water depth between 12-25ft (edge of drop off)
7. don't drive straight
8. vary your speed

if I do that, then she catches fish and seems entertained enough

if you have a significant other, I'd start bugging them about a hummingbird fishing buddy 120 for xmas.  ;)

BananasQ

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

Thanks banx! One quick question - when you say "tip the Colorado blade" I assume that you mean I cut a chunk of the worm off and stick it on the hook?

I may actually push my better half towards something like the FishHunter bobbin that can be towed and then the kid cans can watch the screen of an old phone or tablet and help dial in the fishing. May look to other lakes too - we went to Sasamat earlier after stocking and it was very productive - may do that again. Be nice to get further out like Harrison area though too..

Again - thanks! The only way I get to go fishing regularly is if I take the kids so this is really appreciated.

banx

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »

yes, buy some worms. just needs a bit on there.... find when they bite the spinner, if there's worm they will come back and bite again very quickly. without the worm they usually don't come back and hit the spinner again.

just avoid the big lakes. a couple of small split shots before your swivel, leader and then blade. same as a river. number 2's and 3's.  Not sure if you fly fish, but a fly trolled on a spinning rod also works.

and yes, the harrison area is great. it's worth the drive and the lakes are fairly close together, you don't need 4 wheel drive for all but a couple of them.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »

On Buntzen and Sasamat finding the school of fish is critical. I have had success trolling flies slowly with a type III sinking line - it runs about 20 feet deep.

BananasQ

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »

Thanks - I really appreciate peoples help; I don't get out as often as I'd like and with small kids to wrangle it can be hard to shoot the breeze with other fishers on the water.  I have a new master plan forming and I will report back...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:06:40 AM »

Does it have to be trout you're going after? If need to keep kids entertained maybe a lake with crappie, bass, and other sunfish will give you much greater chance of steady action. I go to Bunzten somewhat regularly and it can be a very tough lake to find fish.

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »

Alice Lake is a nice small lake too. May be busy with beach goers now, but lots of facilities there. You ever try the bubble float, 9 ft leader to fly method? It's an active method of fishing, but slow so kids feel like they're doing something. Very exciting when take occurs. Be fun way to cover lots of water out of a canoe.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »

East side of lake trolling flies or lures early before the sun gets on it.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BananasQ

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »

Lots of great ideas. Have some bubble floats so can look at that too. Really appreciate the pointers - hope to post pics of happy, fishy kids soon!